Oakland – On Thursday, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) announced a precautionary closure of McClymonds High School after tests revealed that a cancer-causing chemical called trichloroethylene (TCE) was found in the onsite groundwater. The announcement sent shockwaves through the school community and the neighborhood. As a priority I have worked diligently to help OUSD identify interim classroom solutions to resume instruction. The District is evaluating its options and will make an announcement on Monday.
In addition to my efforts to help the McClymonds community, I have been working diligently to get answers to address the concerns for those of us living in West Oakland. The TCE found at McClymonds serves to remind us that West Oakland residents have endured many decades of environmental injustice and the fight for remedy persists. We demand and deserve answers. To this end, I am working with Alameda County Supervisor Keith Carson and the West Oakland Environmental Indicators Project to host a town hall to bring regulators to the community to address our concerns.
Special Environmental Town Hall
Wednesday, February 26, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm
West Oakland Senior Center
1724 Adeline Street
Representatives from Alameda County Environmental Health Department (ACEHD), California Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) will be in attendance to answer community concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I live near McClymonds. Is my drinking water safe? Can I take a shower?
Groundwater contamination does not impact water provided by EBMUD. Presence of TCE in the groundwater will not impact your drinking water or showers.
Is it safe for my child to play in my yard?
There is no immediate concern about safety on the grounds. Further tests at McClymonds will reveal determine if the source and spread of the TCE contamination found at the school and whether TCE is in the indoor air. More information will be provided by County health professionals
Is there a link between TCE and the cancers that have killed two Mack students?
There is no reported link. We will need to raise this question with County health professionals.
What is happening with the McClymonds Students? How long will they be out of school?
OUSD is currently evaluating sites to resume instruction until tests results prove that there is no contamination in the indoor air quality samples. The District expects instruction to resume on Tuesday, Feb 25 and will announce location information on Monday, February 24.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Bills vs Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Kate Scott embraces Philly as Sixers season begins | Sixers Talk October 19, 2021
- Every Touchdown Scored In Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Bills vs. Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 3rd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Train hauling corrosive acid derails at Port of Oakland October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 4th-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 2nd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 3rd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 2nd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021
- Oakland Hills Firestorm Community Comeback Film Photos with Olympus OM 2n on Kodak Gold October 18, 2021
- 🏈 LIVE| Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans – 2021 NFL Game Week 6 October 18, 2021
- Reacting to the Las Vegas Raiders’ first game without Jon Gruden | KJM October 18, 2021
- The Silver and Black Respond With Impressive Win in Denver | Raiders Gameday | NFL October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ex Players Who Played For Gruden Speak About Jon Gruden By Eric Pangilinan October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- 1 Otp = ₹156🔴LIVE | New Earning Apps 2021 | Free Paytm Cash Daily Earn ₹1560 |Best Earning App October 18, 2021
- Gabby Petito’s heartbroken family make desperate plea in search for justice | 60 Minutes Australia October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 1st Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 18, 2021
- “SHOW I.D. OR GET OUT!!” SAN FRANCISCO FEDERAL BUILDING FIRST AMENDMENT October 18, 2021
- NFL Trade Rumors On Odell Beckham, Von Miller, Saquon Barkley, Jimmy Garoppolo + Dak Prescott Injury October 18, 2021
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland Skate Park Fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021