SIOUX CITY, IA — Today, at a Town Hall in Sioux City, Mayor Pete Buttigieg will announce a bold new plan to reignite a sense of unity in America by dramatically increasing national service opportunities. Dubbed “A New Call to Service”, this initiative will build a network of 1 million National Service Members by the 250th anniversary of America’s Independence in 2026.
“National service can help us to form connections between very different kinds of Americans, as was my experience in the military,” said Buttigieg. “I served alongside and trusted my life to people who held totally different political views. You shouldn’t have to go to war in order to have that kind of experience, which is why I am proposing a plan to create more opportunities for national service.”
The policy aims to vastly expand service opportunities through three key efforts:
Expanding Service Opportunities for All Who Want It: Immediately increase national service opportunities to 250,000 positions through the existing federal and AmeriCorps grantee organizations, especially targeting high school students; students at community colleges, vocational schools, Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) and Minority-Serving Institutions (MSIs); and opportunity youth (people between ages 16-24 who are neither in school nor working).
Building Service Communities: Create competitive grant funding for communities, cities, and regions to create service ecosystems tailored to regional and local issues, which will foster local capacity; empower local leaders to connect the federal, state, local, philanthropic services to each other; and incubate 21st century service models around regional issues to prevent siloed community service initiatives.
Achieving Service at Scale: By 2026, quadruple the number of service opportunities to 1 million high school graduates. Develop new service corps including a Climate Corps, Community Health Corps, and Intergenerational Service Corps, which would be overseen by a new Chief Service Officer with standing on the White House National Security Council and Domestic Policy Council.
Americans are experiencing record-low trust in American institutions and fellow citizens. A New Call to Service seeks to unite a new generation of American youth bound by mutual service and common values, and influenced by the experience of working with people across races, politics, faiths, income levels, gender identities, and geographies.
Quote from Aaron Williams, former Director of the Peace Corps under President Obama:
“Our nation is divided and we’re facing record-low trust in fellow Americans and American institutions. At the same time, our country and our communities are facing challenges with our climate, access to education, and so much more. A strong national service program is a win-win. National service can bridge divides by bringing young Americans together, while also investing in our communities by supporting the future corps of public servants to help combat some of the biggest issues we face as a country — literally creating a platform for our nation’s next “greatest generation”.
Quote from Emily Shields, current Executive Director of Iowa Campus Compact and AmeriCorps VISTA alum:
“National service provides invaluable life experience and community impact. The year I served in San Antonio, Texas as a young person changed my life forever. Today, I run a statewide nonprofit organization — Iowa Campus Compact — and we support AmeriCorps positions in communities across the state. These programs make a huge difference and it’s great to see a presidential candidate focusing on them on the campaign trail.”
Read more about the A New Call to Service here.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Overstock CEO: We are in good shape for the holidays despite supply chain issues October 28, 2021
- Oil execs head to Capitol Hill to face questions on climate change October 28, 2021
- Democrats race to finalize Biden’s infrastructure deal ahead of foreign trip October 28, 2021
- California lawmakers to review recall process October 28, 2021
- ServiceNow CEO on Q3 earnings: We have the technology advantage October 28, 2021
- Ford stock soars after strong Q4 sales, raises 2021 profit target October 28, 2021
- Hawks vs. Wizards 10/28/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 28, 2021
- National City food hall set for grand opening October 28, 2021
- Marcus Spears “speaks lock” Derek Carr is best QB and Las Vegas Raiders are team on cusp, bye Week 8 October 28, 2021
- Sen. Klobuchar: We Want To See Exactly What The Framework Is October 28, 2021
- NBA DFS Strategy 10/28/21 | Draftkings & FanDuel NBA Picks October 28, 2021
- China’s economy suffers major setbacks October 28, 2021
- ABC 10 News San Diego KGTV Latest Headlines | October 28, 7am October 28, 2021
- Could kids vaccines end the pandemic? October 28, 2021
- Joe Harris Breaks the Brooklyn Nets Three-Point Record October 28, 2021
- ESPN reacts to World Series: Houston Astros level up against Braves at 1-1 with 7-2 win in Game 2 October 28, 2021
- Big Oil heads to Washington to discuss climate change, disinformation October 28, 2021
- FREE Sports Betting Picks October 28, 2021|Free NBA Picks Today | NBA Predictions| NBA Picks Tonight October 28, 2021
- Ethel M Cactus Garden returns for the holidays October 28, 2021
- Asia is the epicenter for wealth creation: Citi CEO October 28, 2021
- Day 2 of the Assange extradition hearing October 28, 2021
- As NFL trade deadline nears, one move would signal Packers are all in on Aaron Rodgers October 28, 2021
- 2022 GMC Sierra AT4X vs 2022 Chevrolet Silverado ZR2 October 28, 2021
- Earnings roundup: Caterpillar, Ford, & eBay beat estimates – here’s what this means for the stocks October 28, 2021
- Santa Fe County sheriff discusses ‘Rust’ shooting investigation October 28, 2021
- FDA warns about drug packaged to look like candy October 28, 2021
- Pistons vs. 76ers 10/28/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 28, 2021
- Spurs vs. Mavericks 10/28/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 28, 2021
- No injuries in fire at low-income housing complex for seniors October 28, 2021
- New details on gun used in fatal shooting on ‘Rust’ set October 28, 2021
- Storm brings tornado and flood threats to South October 28, 2021
- Food Truck Sem Menu I Episódio 04 October 28, 2021
- Braves vs Astros World Series Game 2 Recap | CBS Sports HQ October 28, 2021
- LIVE: New Orleans Saints Interviews 10/28/21 Week 8 vs Tampa Bay Bucs October 28, 2021
- 2021 MLB on FOX World Series Game 2 Intro/Theme October 28, 2021
- Biden To Unveil New Framework For Human Infrastructure Plan October 28, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. “Derek Carr is NFL MVP” as Las Vegas Raiders BEAT Philadelphia Eagles Week 7 October 28, 2021
- Food Truck Sem Menu I Episódio 02 October 28, 2021
- Food Truck Sem Menu I Episódio 03 October 28, 2021
- Attempted kidnapping in Sacramento County: Surveillance video shows man jumping in to help October 28, 2021