OAKLAND – Mayor Libby Schaaf invites Oakland residents to join her in celebrating Oakland’s diversity, culture, and community to mark the beginning of her second term as the city’s mayor.
“Inauguration week presents a unique moment for Oaklanders to turn toward one another to show our city’s values and celebrate our secret sauce,” said Mayor Libby Schaaf. “In addition to an Inaugural Gala to raise critical funds for our signature initiatives The Oakland Promise and Keep Oakland Housed, our vision for this week is to hold events that are inclusive, artistic and reflect the values, ideas, and cultures we all cherish.”
The week of events kicks off on Monday, January 7 at 11:00 with the traditional swearing-in ceremony for the Mayor, City Auditor, three new City Councilmembers, and Oakland Unified School District School Directors in the council chamber at Oakland City Hall. In the days following, Mayor Schaaf welcomes residents to join her for a series of inaugural events, which will include an Inaugural Gala on Friday, January 11, culminating with a free, fun filled, family-friendly celebration of Oakland Arts on Saturday, January 12.
Schedule of Public Inaugural Celebrations
· Monday, January 7, 11:00 AM
City of Oakland Oath of Office Ceremony Swearing in Mayor Libby Schaaf, City Auditor Courtney Ruby, Councilmembers Nikki Fortunato Bas, Sheng Thao, and Loren Taylor, and School Board Members Aimee Eng, Gary Yee and Shanti Gonzales.
Location: Council Chamber, Oakland City Hall, 1 Frank Ogawa Plaza, 3rd Floor
Free and open to the public, but space is extremely limited and available only on a first-come basis.
· Friday, January 11, 7:00 PM – Midnight
Mayor’s Inaugural Gala
Dinner to benefit The Oakland Promise, which aims to ensure every child in Oakland graduates high school with the expectations, resources, and skills to complete college and be successful in the career of his or her choice. Tickets for this event can be purchased here.
Location: The Fox Theater, 1807 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland, CA, 94612
Dance Party to benefit Keep Oakland Housed, a homeless prevention program committed to keeping Oakland residents from losing their housing by providing legal representation, emergency financial assistance, and supportive services. Tickets for this event can be purchased here. Early bird general admission $30.
Location: Party Tent at 19th Street at Telegraph 7:30 – 11pm AND
The Fox Theater, 1807 Telegraph Avenue 9pm – midnight
· Saturday, January 12, 1:00-5:00PM
Celebrate Oakland Arts! (see attached event flyer)
Celebrate Oakland Arts! is a free, fun-filled community festival for the entire family.
The event will include Live music and dance performances by a host of artists including Samba Funk!, Destiny Muhammad Trio, Dance-A-Vision, Diamano Coura, Axis Dance Company, Kinetic Arts Center, as well as spoken word performances by local poets, including Oakland’s own youth poet laureate Leila Mottley (a student from Oakland School for the Arts).
There will also be interactive family games and attractions courtesy of Studio One, the Golden State Warriors, the Oakland Athletics, Pollinator Posse, Children’s Fairyland and Attitudinal Healing Center.
Keeping with the week’s trend of celebrating Oakland artists, makers and culture shapers, the event with include food and libations from a range of locally owned and operated food trucks, breweries, and merchants, hosted by Oakland Grown.
For more information on these events, click here: https://www.celebrateoakland.com/
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Downsizing Oakland Howard Terminal Ballpark Without Knowing About It Is Brainless
- Philippines Independence Day Saturday June 12th 2021: Eric Pangilinan Philippines Reaction
- French President Macron Says America Is Back During G7 Summit At Carbis Bay
- Oakland A’s Kaval, City Council’s Gallo, Alameda County’s Miley Muddle Howard Terminal Ballpark On KGO-TV
- 🔴OMG Vegas LIVE… You Won’t Believe it. Vegas is NORMAL AGAIN!!🚨
- 12-Year-Old Shot Confronting Catalytic Converter Thieves Outside Oakland Home
- Howard Terminal Ballpark: A Gift To Oakland And Its People – By Kevin M. Corbett
- Another Djokovic Vs Nadal Classic At 2021 French Open Nearly Marred By Curfew, But Loop-Hole Found
- Fayetteville Georgia Weather: Thunderstorm High Winds At 3:22 PM EST Friday June 11th
- Ayodele Nzinga: City Of Oakland Announces Inaugural Poet Laureate
- Oakland Black NFL Football Group Coliseum Stadium Proposal On July 20th City Council Agenda
- Nate Miley Alameda County Supervisor Holds Statewide Illegal Dumping Conference April 21, 2021
- Oakland Coliseum A’s Game Security Worker YouTube Vlog Shows Typical Day
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan For Zennie62
- Have You Ever Watched The Mars Live Webcam On YouTube? If Not You’re Missing The Future Now
- WATCH: Mars Cam Views from NASA Rover during Red Planet Exploration #Mars2020
- Trayvon Mullen Las Vegas Raiders Safety Needs To Step Up Says Eric Pangilinan
- Major League Baseball Doesn’t Care About Cheating In Sticky-Substance Controversy – Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Could Josh Jacob’s Be A Hold Out At Mini Camp – By Joseph Armendariz
- Kevin Durant Misses Three That Would Have Put Nets Vs Bucks Game 3 Into Overtime