On Thursday of this week, Oakland Raiders Owner Mark Davis personally served barbeque to 700 Las Vegas Stadium construction workers. It was Mr. Davis’ way of thanking them for getting this far in building what (let’s be honest) will be a game-changing facility for the Las Vegas Valley.
But, considering Mark Davis and the Raiders never gave Oakland Raiders fans any kind of barbeque to thank them for all of the years of support, BBQ Becky would be welcomed to call the Oakland Police and send them to Vegas. That event was nothing less than a slab in the face of Oakland Raiders fans. And a big, juicy one, at that.
Since Mark Davis took over as Oakland Raiders Owner, he’s never actively focused only, singularly, on building a new NFL stadium in Oakland. Indeed, on the very week Mr. Davis was officially named the new boss of the Silver and Black, and after the passing of his legendary father Al Davis, Mark set his sites on having the Raiders somewhere else.
In 2011 and 2012, the talk was Los Angeles. In 2013 Davis entertained the idea of a new stadium in Oakland, and watched as the City of Oakland and The County of Alameda entered into “exclusive negotiating agreements” with people who could not deliver, but never himself presented a public architectural drawing representing what his vision was for a stadium in Oakland.
The talk of the Raiders elsewhere continued. In 2014, Davis was moving to San Antonio. Then 2015 brought Carson for the Oakland Raiders. Then in 2016 it was Las Vegas. All the while, Mr. Davis said he wanted to stay in Oakland, told Raiders fans that, but never really concentrated on doing it. Have a look from the 2015 NFL Spring League Meeting in San Francisco:
Now, according to ESPN, Davis had already held what the media outlet called “secret meetings” regarding relocating to Las Vegas. And, to top that, the Raiders misled Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf regarding the Carson attempt, and Davis was caught red-handed by this vlogger at the same 2015 NFL Spring League Meeting in San Francisco:
After losing the Los Angeles relocation vote to Rams Owner Stan Kronke January 16, 2015, Davis told Oakland officials to wait untl the Raiders hired and had a stadium point person in place, in March or April, before restarting lease extention talks that were to lead to a new stadium. Instead, what did Davis do? According to a memo from Aubrey Clerkin, then of KSNV News 3 Las Vegas, Oakland Raiders officials planned to, and did, meet with then-UNLV President Len Jessup and Las Vegas Sands legendary founder Sheldon Adelson.
Only Davis never told Oakland officials, who were happily working on updated financials for a new stadium, the infrastructure plan for which was (and is) already in place. When the Oakland Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority Board realized they’d been bamboozled by Davis, talk of filing a lawsuit started, and has grown to gargantuan proportions to date. Now, with sports lawyer Jim Quinn planning a legal attack on contengency for the City of Oakland, all that awaits is the official thumbs up from the Oakland City Council. And I’m told the votes are there to make it happen.
If Mark Davis just once had a giant public dinner for Oakland, and had been straight-forward in his desires, this sad relationship climate would not exist. As NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell himself said (and at the 2016 Fall NFL Owners Meeting), the Raiders are partly to blame for their own stadium problems in Oakland.
And that comment was part of this blogger’s question regarding the Mayor of Oakland’s concerns althat the Raiders had not worked in good faith with the the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda.
And Goodell had repeatedly said he wanted the Raiders to stay in Oakland. But Davis didn’t tell Oakland what he really wanted. Davis mishandled this.
What Mark should have done, and as far back as 2014, is told Oakland politicians he’s interested in moving to Las Vegas to take advantage of an opportunity regarding gambling, but isn’t sure about it. Then worked out a kind of timetable toward a stadium in Oakland, including milestones for both the Raiders and the City of Oakland. Davis would explore the Vegas option, but work on the Oakland stadium – to the extent the City met its markets to the point of government approval and a stadium deaign and financing, Davis would stop the Las Vegas effort. In other words, an open competition.
Then, Oakland would be on the clock, as would Las Vegas, and the economic development competition would commence, with the World watching.
That’s what Davis should have done, but now it’s too late.
But Davis can still give Oakland Raiders fans a big barbecue dinner at the Coliseum to open the 2018 NFL Season. Why not? I’ve got nothing against Las Vegas and Clark County, high-praise for its government (and in particular now-Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority President Steven Hill), love for its people, and believe that new stadium will be an amazing additon to Las Vegas Valley’s economy, even as I’m very concerned the Raiders can’t afford it. But Mark Davis really owes Oakland some good will.
Hoew about a slab of meat for us Mark, and on a plate, not in our face?
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- I was hit COVID Delta in East Oakland Homeless Encampment by Derrick Soo September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr With A New Haircut Ready To Play In Week Three By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian & Megan Fox Seductively Pose In Lingerie September 22, 2021
- Coach Gruden, Derek Carr, K.J. Wright and Daniel Carlson Presser – 9.22.21 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- Zennie62Media Credentialed For CES 2022 Las Vegas And For 12th Year In A Row September 22, 2021
- Daniel Craig Said James Bond Should Not Be A Woman – Here’s Why He’s Right September 22, 2021
- Thomas Espinosa – Oakland Public Ethics Commission Fines Him $309,600 – Here’s Why September 22, 2021
- Marin Supervisor Damon Connolly Stands Up for Immigrant Justice September 22, 2021
- YouTube Studio Was Down Today, Is Back Up Now – What Happened To Cause It? September 22, 2021