The Salesforce Transit Center 2nd crack in a steel beam, and the news that the last inspection of the steel said to be cracked today was in January of 2016, caused this blogger to look back at past activities of the Transbay Joint Powers Authority.
While Salesforce Transit Center was developed by Maria Ayerdi Kaplan, the steel problem, and the cost overruns as you will learn through Zennie62Media presentation of her story, were not her fault, nor that of Turner or Webcor – Obayashi.
I uncovered a May 4th 2015 press release from then TJPA Executive Director Maria Ayerdi Kaplan and construction manager Turner Construction, with Webcor – Obayashi as general contractor, that touted the Transbay Transit Center Project during what was called “Safety Week”. It went like this:
The May 4, 2015 Transbay Joint Powers Authority Press Release
San Francisco, Calif. (May 4, 2015) – Contractors at the Transbay Transit Center site in downtown San Francisco will participate in trainings throughout the week to reinforce the importance of safety on the four-block long construction site. Part of an industry-wide annual tradition, Transbay’s Safety Week will include a celebration of the project’s strong safety record to date, as well as sessions to promote continuous safety improvement.
Throughout Safety Week, each contractor on the Transbay site will provide their crews with safety training specific to their role on the project. Dennis Turchon, Senior Construction Manager for the Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA), explained that these safety reminders are critical on any site, especially one as large as Transbay’s.
“Our project has provided over 1.4 million craft hours to the tradeworkers of our city and state,” said Turchon. “We are extremely committed to ensuring that every worker goes home at the end of the day safely.”
The high point of Safety Week will be a two hour “safety stand-down” on Wednesday, May 6, when all workers on-site will pause to engage in four strategic safety modules. The site-wide safety training includes a session on ladder safety, one on stretch-and-flex ergonomics, and two sessions given by the City of San Francisco’s Vision Zero Task Force focusing on pedestrian safety around large vehicles and a busy worksite.
Remarking on Vision Zero’s prominent presence at Safety Week, TJPA Executive Director Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan noted that the Transbay Project is intimately connected to the surrounding neighborhood, which has sprung up in response to the Transit Center’s construction.
“The Transbay Transit Center Project is about creating a sustainable, reliable and safe public transit network, and we’ve applied those values to the construction process” said Ayerdi-Kaplan. “We appreciate that Turner Construction, our construction oversight manager, and Webcor-Obayashi Joint Venture, our general contractor, every day reinforce the importance of safety on the job-site for everyone working on our project and for the public who live and work in the surrounding neighborhood.”
The Transbay Transit Center, known as the “Grand Central Station of the West,” is a revolutionary transportation facility that will transform the South of Market neighborhood into the new heart of downtown. The Transit Center will connect eight Bay Area counties and 11 transit systems, including future High Speed Rail. The Transbay Transit Center Phase 1 is scheduled to open in late 2017. To learn more about the project, please visit our website at www.TransbayCenter.org.
The Transbay Transit Center project is made possible in part by the U.S. Department of Transportation, State of California, Metropolitan Transportation Commission, Proposition K Sales Tax dollars provided by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority, City and County of San Francisco, San Francisco Office of Community Investment and Infrastructure, San Mateo County Transportation Authority and AC Transit
Transbay Transit Center Problem Calls For More Investigations
There’s a lot of investigative work to be done regarding what caused the cracks in that steel beam. There’s also another question: are there are more of them?
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021