Of all of the news history about Salesforce Transit Center and Maria Ayerdi Kaplan, perhaps the most fascinating one involves, of all things, a Columbian Mammoth Tooth. That’s right: a part of a Columbian mammoth that lived between 8,000 and 150,000 years ago and was approximately 12-14 feet tall, weighing between five and 10 tons.
On September 10, 2012, crane operator, Brandon Valasik, on the Transbay Transit Center jobsite in downtown San Francisco, found the fossil tooth. It was reportedly 110 feet below street level and 100 feet below sea level, and was immediately recognized by Valasik as something unusual.
“Finding the mammoth tooth on our construction site was one of the most exciting and memorable historical events of our project. We are simultaneously preserving our history while building for the future.” said then-Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) Executive Director Maria Ayerdi Kaplan. “We applaud the California Academy of Sciences for placing the mammoth tooth on display for the public to view and learn about downtown San Francisco’s natural history.”
The TJPA donated the tooth to the California Academy of Sciences on September 20, where it was cleaned, preserved, and added to the research fossil collection. The tooth is an upper left molar of a Columbian mammoth (Mammuthus columbi) and was discovered in two pieces; the front third of the tooth was missing.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared