Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan, Developer Of Salesforce Transit Center: Part Four Of Her Story as told to Zennie62Media.
> Maria Ayerdi Kaplan, Developer Of Salesforce Transit Center: Her Story as told to Zennie62Media. > Part One > Part Two > Part Three > Part Four > Part Five > Part Six > Part Seven > Part Eight.
As shared with Zennie62Media
On The 2007 International Design Competition For The Transbay Transit Center
The idea of challenging the designers to design an iconic and high-profile Transit Center came from Ms. Ayerdi Kaplan’s love of New York’s Grand Central Station Terminal. She lived in New York City as a child and always loved walking into Grand Central. The light emanating from the windows, the Clock in the center of the grand hall, the high ceilings and architecture, the hustle and bustle of people coming and going by train, always took her breath away.
To this day, Grand Central Terminal remains one of Maria’s favorite train stations in the world. She believed a world-class city like San Francisco should have a modern Grand Central Terminal of the West Coast (a term she originally coined) that would be loved by generations of travelers and visitors.
Maria challenged the designers to look to Grand Central in New York and create an inspiring and landmark design for San Francisco’s new gateway, with a concept that worked for its intended use as a transit facility for the buses, trains and the public and also was full of natural light, color, art, green spaces and educational and sustainable components.
Orange is Ayerdi Kaplan’s favorite color, so she selected it for some of the finishes inside the Center. Ms. Ayerdi’s request for natural light led to the inclusion of various skylights. Her memories of feeling larger than life in Grand Central Terminal in New York caused her to insist that the building’s design evoke a similar feeling once inside the new Center, which led to the 120-foot light column inside the Grand Hall.
Ms. Ayerdi decided to sponsor an international design competition for both the new Transit Center and the adjacent Transit Tower from the World Trade Center design competition in New York. Many people wanted her to just release a basic RFP, but she believed the new Center merited attention on an international scale to attract the best talent and input into the design.
Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan’s Salesforce Transit Center Land Acqusition Strategy
Maria Ayerdi Kaplan formed the idea of using the land to finance the project and, with the backing of Mayor Brown, developed a strategy to convince the State of the wisdom of transferring the almost 20 acres of land (worth over $660 million in sales and another billion in tax increment generated financing over 45 years) involved for the project.
The first approach she took was to obtain the land by way of state legislation. She wrote a bill that transferred title to the parcels to San Francisco and the TJPA at no cost and was able to have it sponsored by then Assemblywoman Dion Aroner. Caltrans opposed the bill, claiming the schedule for conveyance was too aggressive. Southern California’s Senator Kevin Murray opposed the bill because he believed Southern California should share in the proceeds of the sale of the State land involved. Ultimately, Ms. Ayerdi succeeded in getting the bill passed by the legislature, but it was vetoed by Governor Davis.
Due to the opposition of Caltrans and Senator Murray, Maria Ayerdi Kaplan decided to enlist the support of the one person who she believed could overcome the opposition – Senator John Burton. Maria contacted Senator John Burton and through a series of meetings she convinced him of the importance of a new transit center and the creation of a new neighborhood with a significant number of affordable housing units (of the approximate 4,400 new planned Transbay housing units, 35% must be affordable and on-site thanks to Senator Burton).
Once Ayerdi Kaplan had the Senator’s support, Caltrans was directed to work with her to negotiate something called a “Cooperative Agreement” that would convey title – a laborious process that eventually led to the execution of the final land transfer document in 2003 by the TJPA, City and County of San Francisco, and Caltrans. Subsequently, the California Transportation Commission (CTC) approved the Cooperative Agreement. Securing the approval of the CTC also entailed a tremendous amount of political and technical work on Ms. Ayerdi’s part.
The San Francisco Redevelopment Agency also created a redevelopment area, which allowed the TJPA to use tax increment financing from the land Ms. Ayerdi obtained from the State to fund the Transit Center’s soft and hard costs. When California Redevelopment Law was abolished by Governor Jerry Brown and the California Supreme Court, the State honored all of the TJPA’s pre-existing Redevelopment agreements. The reason? Governor Brown said the Transbay Project was the poster project for what Redevelopment was originally intended to accomplish.
It was the land that Caltrans transferred to San Francisco and the TJPA that allowed the TJPA to build the new Transit Center. And it was the new Transit Center that spurred all of the surrounding transit-oriented mixed-use development in the area with thousands of new residential units and millions of square feet of commercial space. In effect, Ms. Ayerdi built a new landmark station and changed the face of the San Francisco skyline.
Prior to Ms. Ayerdi’s retirement from public service, she negotiated and closed all of the real estate transactions critical to the Transit Center Project’s success, including land acquisitions with a value of nearly $100 million and the purchase of 26 private properties required for construction of the project. The land Ms. Ayerdi sold brought in $660 million and she secured the pledge of redevelopment tax increment revenue for another approximately $1 billion over 45 years in funding.
Maria was also able to secure millions of dollars in grants from state and federal sources, including a $171 million Department of Transportation TIFIA loan (Transbay was the first project in the United States to obtain a TIFIA loan with tax increment revenue from the land Ayerdi Kaplan got transferred from the State as the repayment source), a $400 million American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) grant from the Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) and an expected more than $600 million from a Mello-Roos Community Facilities District.
It took Maria years of meeting weekly with Caltrans to finalize the transfer of the land and luckily, she was able to do that prior to the recession. She was able to leverage the land through the creative public/private financing mechanisms mentioned above to build the new Center.
It cannot be emphasized enough that without the grant of land from Caltrans, the Transbay Joint Powers Authority would not have been able to build the new Salesforce Transit Center and the new Transbay neighborhood as we see it today would not have been possible.
Additionally, without the land that Ms. Ayerdi secured for the Project, the City and County of San Francisco and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) would not have been able to fund the last remaining amount needed to finish Phase 1 of the Transbay Program and complete the Salesforce Center.
Stay tuned, click here for Part Five.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021