Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan, Developer Of Salesforce Transit Center: Part Three Of Her Story as told to Zennie62Media > Part One > Part Two > Part Three > Part Four > Part Five > Part Six > Part Seven > Part Eight.
As shared with Zennie62Media.
Having passed Proposition H, Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan took the Transit Center show on the road. In the early years, it was just Ms. Ayerdi and her laptop. Maria hired students to develop graphics and videos of her vision of what the new Transbay Station could look like. As digital communications technology improved, she had more sophisticated renderings developed and over the 18 years in charge of the Project (15 years as the Executive Director of the Transbay Joint Powers Authority), Ayerdi Kaplan never ceased conducting outreach for the Project.
Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan captivated audiences around the world (United States, Europe, China) with a combination of charm, wit, and more often than not a smile, in additions to presentations of the Project, and her vision for the new Transit Center. A picture is worth a thousand words, and when Maria travelled to Washington DC and Sacramento looking for funding, or when she was meeting with stakeholders to gain their support, the renderings and how she presented her vision for the new station carried the day.
Ms. Ayerdi was always passionate about the project and believed strongly in her vision of the new Transit Station. This often proved contagious. Maria always went into a meeting or a presentation confident about the importance of the project. In fact, she maintained a positive attitude through the almost two decades in charge of the Project no matter how many naysayers or critics she encountered. Each day, she visualized the new Transit Center open for business.
Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan Creates The Transbay Joint Powers Authority
Next, Maria created the Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) in 2001 and convinced elected officials from the East Bay, Peninsula, San Francisco, and Caltrans to sign on. For the ensuing two years, she worked at City Hall, serving as both the Executive Director of the Project and as a board member of the TJPA representing Mayor Brown. In December of 2003, Ayerdi-Kaplan severed from the City and set up the TJPA’s own human resources, so she could work for the TJPA. She moved from City Hall to 201 Mission Street (current TJPA office site) one rainy night by herself with a dolly and all the project boxes and began to hire staff.
The management structure she set up was a Board representing the main tenants of the Transit Center, San Francisco, and Caltrans and a staff of TJPA employees. The first Request for Proposal (RFP) she advertised was for a Program Management/Program Controls team and entered into a contract with URS which later became AECOM. They were like staff to Ms. Ayerdi and assisted with oversight management, project coordination, contract administration, scheduling, cost controls, etc.
In 2006, Ayerdi-Kaplan released an international design competition request for proposals for the architects, engineers and subject matter experts necessary to design the new Station and the developer who would build the new adjacent high rise now known as the Salesforce Tower.
After seeking public input on the various designs submitted for the new station and tower, Pelli Clark Pelli was selected as the architect for both the Center and the high rise. Ayerdi-Kaplan originally selected Gerald D. Hines as private sector developer for what would become Salesforce Tower. The final purchase and sale agreement for a record land sale price at the time of $192 million dollars, which Ms. Ayerdi negotiated, included Boston Properties as 95% owner and Hines at 5%.
Ms. Ayerdi awarded a contract to Webcor/Obayashi as the TJPA’s Construction Manager/General Contractor (CM/GC) early in the process to ensure that what the architects were designing could in fact be built and to work closely with the designers on vetting the costs of the project. Because she strongly believes in having peer review and experts oversee each other’s work, Ms. Ayerdi also hired Turner Construction to oversee the work and activity of the CM/GC.
At the end, thanks to Ms. Ayerdi’s tireless efforts, the Transbay Joint Powers Authority had thousands of people working on the design, engineering, financial, legal, public relations, lobbying, and construction activities. Ms. Ayerdi managed and led all of them with the assistance of her staff.
On the construction side, by the end of March of 2016 (close to when Ayerdi Kaplan retired from public service) the TJPA had over 14,000 people across 34 states working in construction and the manufacture and fabrication of the materials and components for the new station. In fact, Ms. Ayerdi created a map of the country showing the significant number of jobs by state that she used to help bring in funding for the project because it demonstrated that the project was benefiting all political aisles.
By the time Ms. Ayerdi left the TJPA, she had created construction and non-construction related jobs through the award of 88 professional service contracts at a value of more than $350 million dollars and 51 construction contracts at a value over $907 million.
Stay tuned for Part four.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021