San Francisco, CA— A skateboarder who defended himself in a road rage incident between himself and the driver of a SUV was found not guilty on Wednesday, San Francisco Public Defender Jeff Adachi announced today.
Marcus Huckabee, 31, was charged with battery and vandalism, both misdemeanors, stemming from an incident that occurred on April 4th of this year.
The defendant, who has no record of violence, faced up to 30 days in jail if convicted, said Deputy Public Defender Lilah Wolf.
Huckabee was on his skateboard going down Northpoint Street in the bike lane when a SUV pulled out of a hotel parking lot and nearly hit him, he testified. Evidence showed that the SUV then chased after Huckabee, eventually swerving into the bike lane and slamming on his brakes, which caused the defendant to careen into the back of the vehicle.
When Huckabee made contact with the SUV– putting his hands out to stop himself from being thrown into the back window– he dented the car, injuring himself in the process. For this he was charged with vandalism.
Huckabee testified that he picked himself up off the ground and saw that the driver was attempting to get out of the car. Huckabee said that he feared what the SUV driver might do next. The driver appeared to be reaching for something that the defendant thought could be a weapon. It was out of this potential threat of further attack that the defendant struck the driver three times with his fist through the car window, he said.
A Metro Transit Authority officer witnessed Huckabee strike the driver, but did not see anything that led up to that event. Huckabee was arrested for battery.
After reviewing all the evidence and hearing from both the SUV driver and the defendant, the jury found Huckabee not guilty on both counts of vandalism and battery.
“They found him credible when he said he acted in self-defense,” said Wolf. “The case was about Mr. Huckabee’s visceral fear that the driver was going to hurt him.”
Adachi said that this was a classic case of the police arresting the wrong man.
“If the authorities had done due-diligence in this case, they would have arrested the SUV driver, not our client,” he said. “We are grateful that the jurors saw the truth and voted accordingly.”
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Rombauer Upsets Medina Sprit Comes From Behind To Win The Preakness Stakes – Race Real Time Reaction
- SF Bay Area White “Journalists” Can’t Stand Black Oakland Blogger With His Own Opinion
- East Oakland Stadium Alliance Pushes Coliseum Ballpark With Flooding Future
- Let’s Meet. For Real. Meet In Oakland (full video)
- Base Camp 2021 Kick Off Hype Video
- 2021 Honda CR-V EX 2WD Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 4553
- Oakland Police Investigate After Elderly Man Attacked
- POOLE PARTY! Jordan Splashes Home 38 Points in Warriors’ Win | May 14, 2021
- Warriors Talk: Jordan Poole on his 38-Point Night vs. Pelicans – May 14, 2021
- Taj Tashombe, Oakland A’s VP Of Gov Affairs Is NAACP 2021 Black Male Achievement Award Winner
- Tony Buzbee Did Approach Deshaun Watson Reps For $100K Settlement Contrary To Recent Claims
- Oakland Fire Department Sends 3,000 Baby Goats Out As News To Distract From Oakland A’s Relocation
- Marjorie Taylor Greene Accused Of Fraud By Local Atlanta TV Station WSB-TV
- dat Krunchy Couple: Trader Joe’s Snack Haul
- Oakland City Council Leaders Email To Rob Manfred MLB Commissioner On Oakland A’s Relocation
- Pyro’s Pastrami Jack London Square Is Oakland’s Best Kept Secret
- 1100 Himself on The Meaning Behind The Word “Hyphy” + Explains Oakland Slang. PT.2
- Rose Haze | Oakland Band | Live Performance at Balanced Breakfast’s Showcase | SxSW 2021
- 2421 67th Avenue Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com
- Bike Oakland & Piedmont: Around Mountain View Cemetery