ONN – Maraskeshia Smith, Oakland Assistant City Administrator, Left The City Of Oakland This Week
Breaking News: Maraskeshia Smith, the former 18-year veteran of the City of Cincinnati who took the job of Oakland Assistant City Administrator June 5th, 2018, has reportedly left her position this week, according to a very reliable source who’s provided a score of correct news tips to Zennie62Media’s Oakland News Now. “It was kept quiet,” said my source, who added that Smith “went to Stockton” (but to do what, was not known).
Regardless, the news is sad. While the reason for her departure was not known by my source, the person I talked to remarked “It’s not hard to see that she wasn’t happy with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf’s appointment of Edward Reiskin (Ed Reiskin) to be Oakland Chief Administrative Officer.” And it’s not hard to see why: Smith expected to be the next CAO.
Maraskeshia Smith was highly regarded by many City of Oakland staff members and elected officials. Indeed, a number of City of Oakland employees at various levels told me they hoped Mayor Schaaf would elevate Smith to the job she gave to Ed Reiskin. On the day Maraskeshia Smith was hired, then Chief Administrative Officer Sabrina Landreth said I am delighted that Ms. Smith is joining the City of Oakland team. She understands the challenges cities face, and the importance of creating an environment of inclusion, respect, and trust. Most notably, she is recognized as a leader in performance management and data-driven decision making for tracking efficiency and effectiveness of frontline operations, improving service-level performance, and enhancing customer service.”
When she took the job, Smith, who holds an MBA from Eastern Kentucky University and a Bachelor’s from the University of Kentucky, said “I am humbled and honored to be selected as Oakland’s next Assistant City Administrator and to join a dynamic team of professionals who are vested in making Oakland the great City it is. I look forward to building strong relationships with the community and supporting our Administration as we work to provide efficient and equitable services to the residents of Oakland.”
Over the time she was with the City of Oakland, Smith became, with Landreth, the glue that held the City of Oakland together. It was Maraskeshia Smith who took over for the wrongly ousted Housing and Community Development Director Michele Byrd on April 22nd of 2019. That was after a new organization targeted Byrd for allegedly not enforcing the city’s eviction laws. Rather than stand up for Byrd, Mayor Schaaf reportedly fired her.
A Revolving Door Of Leadership At The Top Of Mayor Schaaf’s City of Oakland
So, if you’re keeping score of this head-spinning revolving door of leadership at the top of Mayor Schaaf’s City of Oakland, Sabrina Landreth stepped down due in large part to her reported actions in hiring a private investigator to investigate a member of the Oakland Police Commission. Landreth was replaced by former Lafayette City Manager Steven Falk on an interim basis, and who did not want the permanent CAO role. Meanwhile, Mayor Schaaf brought Mr. Reiskin over from San Francisco, where he was the Director of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority AKA MUNI, first, to be Assistant City Administrator, but his pay was over that of Smith’s by as much as $100,000. Many wanted Smith to be in the CAO role to bring salary balance to the situation (because, then, Smith would make more than Reskin). But Libby did what this space guessed she might do: elevate Reskin, and not Smith, to the role, and after what she claimed was a “rigorous” search.
Now Smith is said to have left this week. If this is handled like the departure of now former Economic Development Director Mark Sawicki: obvious only by an entry on his Linkedin page that reads “Led a department of 50 staff across six divisions: Public/Private Development, Real Estate Asset Management, Business Development, Workforce Development, Cultural Affairs, and Administration.” Mr. Sawicki was replaced by Alexa Jeffress, a housing specialist.
A Black Brain Drain In The City of Oakland Under Mayor Schaaf
Mayor Schaaf seems determined to cause a black brain drain at the top in the City of Oakland. The number of talented African Americans who have departed is starting to develop into a “who’s who” list that could be a trivia drinking game soon. Smith, former Oakland Police Officer and now Philadelphia Police Chief Daniel Outlaw, and Byrd, are just three names of a list of all-star-level public administration talent. It’s got Oakland insiders, regardless of color, talking – and not in a good way.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Police Possibly To Arrest Me For Protest – By Derrick Soo
- Oakland Police possibly to Arrest Me for Protest by Derrick Soo
- Oakland News Now at OaklandNewsNow.com Is The Most Advanced Active News Blog Website Ever In Oakland
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V2 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 17th
- Former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris On ESPN 30-For-30 Raiders Al Davis vs. NFL – The Aftermath
- Elihu Harris Former Oakland Mayor On ESPN 30-For-30, “Al Davis Versus The NFL”
- Walk Down MacArthur Blvd To Grand Av In Oakland Adams Point Made Into Instagram Art
- Oakland Marriott City Center Has Striking Mural Of Young Black Girl At Play That’s Amazing
- Detroit Tigers vs Oakland Athletics Highlights April 16, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021
- Peaceful Demonstration Over Deadly Police Shootings Turns Violent in Oakland
- Demonstration in Oakland to Protest Police Shootings Turns Violent
- Kevin Samuels And Kevin Durant Use White-Owned Social Media To Say Bad Things About Black Folks
- Oakland NAACP Response to District Curriculum Adoption Recommendation.
- COVID-19 Vaccine At Dodger Stadium – By Joseph Armendariz
- The Alley Cat Bar In Oakland At 3325 Grand Avenue To Reopen Thursday April 22 2021
- Erica Chapman Makeup Artist In Deshaun Watson Lawsuit Poses Prostitute Problem For Tony Buzbee
- Marshawn Lynch: Sitting Down With Dr. Anthony Fauci
- OUSD Oakland Girls To Be In Soroptimist International’s “Steps to Success” On Saturday
- Derrick Soo Says WhereDoWeGoOakland.tv, A Remarkable Oakland Housing Effort, Is Active
- Sam Wilson Becomes Captain America In The Epic Falcon And The Winter Soldier Episode 5