ONN – Maraskeshia Smith, Oakland Assistant City Administrator, Left The City Of Oakland This Week
Breaking News: Maraskeshia Smith, the former 18-year veteran of the City of Cincinnati who took the job of Oakland Assistant City Administrator June 5th, 2018, has reportedly left her position this week, according to a very reliable source who’s provided a score of correct news tips to Zennie62Media’s Oakland News Now. “It was kept quiet,” said my source, who added that Smith “went to Stockton” (but to do what, was not known).
Regardless, the news is sad. While the reason for her departure was not known by my source, the person I talked to remarked “It’s not hard to see that she wasn’t happy with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf’s appointment of Edward Reiskin (Ed Reiskin) to be Oakland Chief Administrative Officer.” And it’s not hard to see why: Smith expected to be the next CAO.
Maraskeshia Smith was highly regarded by many City of Oakland staff members and elected officials. Indeed, a number of City of Oakland employees at various levels told me they hoped Mayor Schaaf would elevate Smith to the job she gave to Ed Reiskin. On the day Maraskeshia Smith was hired, then Chief Administrative Officer Sabrina Landreth said I am delighted that Ms. Smith is joining the City of Oakland team. She understands the challenges cities face, and the importance of creating an environment of inclusion, respect, and trust. Most notably, she is recognized as a leader in performance management and data-driven decision making for tracking efficiency and effectiveness of frontline operations, improving service-level performance, and enhancing customer service.”
When she took the job, Smith, who holds an MBA from Eastern Kentucky University and a Bachelor’s from the University of Kentucky, said “I am humbled and honored to be selected as Oakland’s next Assistant City Administrator and to join a dynamic team of professionals who are vested in making Oakland the great City it is. I look forward to building strong relationships with the community and supporting our Administration as we work to provide efficient and equitable services to the residents of Oakland.”
Over the time she was with the City of Oakland, Smith became, with Landreth, the glue that held the City of Oakland together. It was Maraskeshia Smith who took over for the wrongly ousted Housing and Community Development Director Michele Byrd on April 22nd of 2019. That was after a new organization targeted Byrd for allegedly not enforcing the city’s eviction laws. Rather than stand up for Byrd, Mayor Schaaf reportedly fired her.
A Revolving Door Of Leadership At The Top Of Mayor Schaaf’s City of Oakland
So, if you’re keeping score of this head-spinning revolving door of leadership at the top of Mayor Schaaf’s City of Oakland, Sabrina Landreth stepped down due in large part to her reported actions in hiring a private investigator to investigate a member of the Oakland Police Commission. Landreth was replaced by former Lafayette City Manager Steven Falk on an interim basis, and who did not want the permanent CAO role. Meanwhile, Mayor Schaaf brought Mr. Reiskin over from San Francisco, where he was the Director of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority AKA MUNI, first, to be Assistant City Administrator, but his pay was over that of Smith’s by as much as $100,000. Many wanted Smith to be in the CAO role to bring salary balance to the situation (because, then, Smith would make more than Reskin). But Libby did what this space guessed she might do: elevate Reskin, and not Smith, to the role, and after what she claimed was a “rigorous” search.
Now Smith is said to have left this week. If this is handled like the departure of now former Economic Development Director Mark Sawicki: obvious only by an entry on his Linkedin page that reads “Led a department of 50 staff across six divisions: Public/Private Development, Real Estate Asset Management, Business Development, Workforce Development, Cultural Affairs, and Administration.” Mr. Sawicki was replaced by Alexa Jeffress, a housing specialist.
A Black Brain Drain In The City of Oakland Under Mayor Schaaf
Mayor Schaaf seems determined to cause a black brain drain at the top in the City of Oakland. The number of talented African Americans who have departed is starting to develop into a “who’s who” list that could be a trivia drinking game soon. Smith, former Oakland Police Officer and now Philadelphia Police Chief Daniel Outlaw, and Byrd, are just three names of a list of all-star-level public administration talent. It’s got Oakland insiders, regardless of color, talking – and not in a good way.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Full Highligh 4th Quarter | NFL Week 6, 2021 October 19, 2021
- Deputy chase underway in LA County October 19, 2021
- New Plan to Fight Car Break-Ins in San Francisco October 19, 2021
- Every Team’s Best Play From Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- 49ers News TODAY: 49ers Injury Report, DeForest Buckner RETURNS, Trent Williams, Aaron Banks, Lynch October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: KTVU reporter recalls being trapped by Oakland Hills firestorm October 19, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Defensive Line is causing Havoc October 19, 2021
- Raiders Sign Desmond Trufant + Raiders Rumors On Clelin Ferrell Trade, D.J. Hayden & Derek Carr October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Alex Leatherwood Playing Better At The Guard Position By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Raw Video: San Francisco Announces Cash Rewards To Stop Auto Burglary-Fueled Fencing Operations October 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Former Pro Bowl DB Desmond Trufant Signs With Raiders By Joseph Armendariz October 19, 2021
- ILUW Local 10, The Shipping Backlog & The Working Class with ILWU Local 10 Pres Trent Willis October 19, 2021
- MLB LIVE: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Atlanta Braves Live stream – Braves vs Dodgers Live October 19, 2021
- Raiders Rumors & News On Trade Clelin Ferrell, Derek Carr & Josh Jacobs + 2021 NFL Trade Candidates October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Jake Tonges Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Femi Oladejo Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021
- Cal Football: Justin Wilcox Press Conference (10.19.21) October 19, 2021