Oakland District Three Councilmember Lynette Gibson McElhaney ((510) 238-3266 and [email protected]) and the City of Oakland sent this “Love Life” message for Oaklanders, today, before the Fourth of July 2018.
Historically, Fourth of July Independence Day in Oakland brings an increase in gunfire and illegal fireworks as part of celebrations. While some residents look forward to long standing family traditions of at-home fireworks, nowadays these celebrations often create more trauma than fun.
In lifting up our Love Life ethos, the City of Oakland, community leaders and residents ask that we come together to create safe and loving celebrations that protect the mental and physical health of all who live and work in Oakland.
Illegal fireworks and shooting guns not only cause frightening sounds, their use comes with a great risk for injury and even death. The loud explosions are traumatizing and frightening for pets, the elderly, children and bereaved families who have lost loved ones to gun violence.
As a part of the City’s commitment to ensure public safety and vitality in our communities, the Oakland Police Department and Oakland Fire Department are working together to plan for a safe 4th of July. Police Chief Anne E. Kirkpatrick and Fire Chief Darin White issued a joint statement to remind everyone of the dangers and penalties associated with celebratory gunfire and the use of illegal fireworks. OPD will increase staff and deploy patrol officers to specific areas of the City that have historically hosted illegal fireworks and gun activity.
Expect increased enforcement. Officers will confiscate fireworks and issue citations to anyone in possession of or igniting illegal fireworks. Officers will arrest anyone caught discharging a firearm.
Possession of fireworks, even the “Safe & Sane” brand, is subject to fines up to $1,000.
Possession of large quantities of fireworks carry penalties of $5,000 to $10,000 and imprisonment.
Storage of fireworks is illegal and unsafe. We encourage you to report the storage of illegal fireworks (no matter how large or small, commercial or residential) so that OFD can properly dispose of these items before someone is harmed.
Support Your Pet: Here’s an article with safety and calming tips for your dog.
Join Safe & Legal Celebrations: On July 3rd, join the Oakland A’s at the Coliseum for a Fireworks show where attendees will be invited to sit on the outfield grass to enjoy the dazzling sky high show. Or visit the City of Richmond as they host ‘Fireworks at the Point’ a fun filled family-style event complete with food trucks, live music, and fireworks at 9:15PM. On the 4th, take the ferry from Jack London to Pier 39 in San Francisco for a fireworks display shortly before 9:30PM.
Working Together for a Safe Oakland: Report illegal fireworks by calling the Fireworks Tip Line at 510-777-8814 or email [email protected] to report the sales, possession and lighting of fireworks. Report any gunfire, including celebratory gunfire by calling 911 or from a cell phone: 510-238-3211.
You may drop off fireworks in collection barrels at the following fire stations:
Fire Station 1: 1603 Martin Luther King Jr. Way
Fire Station 3: 1445-14th Street
Fire Station 4: 1235 International Blvd.
Fire Station 5: 934-34th Street
Fire Station 18: 5008 Bancroft Avenue
Fire Station 20: 1401-98th Avenue
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave