Lucy Flores Treatment Of Joe Biden Was Wrong In Many Ways
Lucy Flores owes Joe Biden, and the Democratic Party, an apology, as the livestream video above asserts. If you don’t know the story, by now, it goes like this, as expressed in Flores’ op-ed called “An Awkward Kiss Changed How I Saw Joe Biden” in the New York Times:
As I was taking deep breaths and preparing myself to make my case to the crowd, I felt two hands on my shoulders. I froze. “Why is the vice-president of the United States touching me?”
I felt him get closer to me from behind. He leaned further in and inhaled my hair. I was mortified. I thought to myself, “I didn’t wash my hair today and the vice-president of the United States is smelling it. And also, what in the actual fuck? Why is the vice-president of the United States smelling my hair?” He proceeded to plant a big slow kiss on the back of my head. My brain couldn’t process what was happening. I was embarrassed. I was shocked. I was confused. There is a Spanish saying, “tragame tierra,” it means, “earth, swallow me whole.” I couldn’t move and I couldn’t say anything. I wanted nothing more than to get Biden away from me. My name was called and I was never happier to get on stage in front of an audience.
There are many things wrong with this article, and that take.
First, if she didn’t want anyone, let alone Biden, touching her, all Flores had to do was turn around and say “Hey, who’s that? You scared me, Joe! Just kidding,” and then gave him some advice after she was finished speaking.
Second, why did it take her four years to express that idea, and why now, with Biden on the eve of announcing that he may, or may not, run for President of The United States? On CNN, Flores openly expressed that she didn’t think a person like Biden should run for President. And all just because of a touch that she’s obviously misinterpreted four years ago? That’s her only reason? Not the 3 AM phone call? Not budget priorities? Not congressional experience? Seriously?
Third, some have claimed on social media that “Biden’s a powerful man and there was nothing Flores could do.” That’s sexist, and basically relegating Flores to the role of a damsel-in-distress that needs someone to save her from the big powerful white guy. And, Flores was asking Nevadans to vote for her as their lieutenant governor, their leader. How can anyone have confidence in a candidate for a major office who’s afraid to speak up for herself, let alone the State of Nevada?
Fourth, Lucy Flores just sent the message that no one can trust her emotions. She says she wanted Joe Biden’s help in running for office, then got it, then later turned around and stabbed him in the back for doing it. Basically, Flores used Joe Biden for what she needed, discarded him, then turned around and harmed him. With all of that, why should anyone get behind Flores for any future leadership endeavor she may take on? It’s an obvious danger for a person to take time and help her, lest they risk unintentionally offending her, not knowing it, then paying for it later. Just say no.
And what about the photo where she’s behind him? You can guess that came from Flores asking him to take that photo – and that was after she gave her speech. If Biden was so bad, why seek not one selfie photo with him, but two selfie photos (Are there more?), especially of a style that was so personal, with her having her hand on him?
Something’s off here.
Donald Trump May Win A Second Term Because Of Lucy Flores
Lucy Flores just may have handed President Donald Trump his second term. Its very clear to me that we, as Democrats, have learned nothing from the events of the last two years. Many were disappointed Donald Trump beat Hillary Clinton, and failed to see the basic reasons for what happened, even as they were presented to us: Trump had a clear, universal, message; Clinton did not.
In that way, his slogan “Make America Great Again” was a powerful as Barack Obama’s “Yes We Can”. What was Hillary Clinton’s slogan: “Stronger Together” and “I’m with her.” And to make matters worse, Clinton constantly made the campaign about making her the first female president, and not about the needs of America. It was all about her ambition. You can’t expect to win that way.
The Democratic Party has degenerated from one that had sound economic development policy answers that made government work for the little person, to one that only complains about anyone who’s perceived as a standard, patriarchal, straight white male.
The Democrats have a segment of white America so scared, Presidential Candidate Beto O’Rourke was recently seen apologizing for being white, and all of the advantages that go with that. So, let me get this straight: he’s supposed to be our leader? It’s no wonder Senator Ted Cruz beat Beto in the 2018 Texas Senate Election: he has no strength of self. Leaders don’t run around lowering their heads and making excuses for who they are – they lead!
The appeal of Donald Trump that got him to the White House is simple: he’s not afraid to be himself. That’s a key ingredient in leading others – it’s called confidence. That’s something Lucy Flores lacks, and trying to find it by publicly blasting Joe Biden for a four-year-old pat on the back and perceived kiss on the head isn’t going to work.
The Democratic Party Must Have Leaders Who Don’t Fear To Lead
While Lucy Flores fiddles, Rome burns. We have record levels of under-employment. More people than ever before have checked out of the labor force. Homelessness is so great a problem that the homeless have become a class of people. We have environmental issues to deal with that we’ve not figured out how to do without killing basic industry jobs. We’ve outsourced so much economic wealth to other countries that much of our very defense industry relies on foreign manufacturers. We can’t build an economic power on the backs of Uber and Lift drivers who are one step from being automated out of existence, but here we are. All of this, and all Lucy Flores can think about is how Joe Biden touched her back four years ago.
Joe Biden is a friendly, handsy, man. There’s photo and video of Joe being that way to men and women, from President Obama to, well, just about everyone. That’s Joe – he’s never meant anything other than warmth, caring, and friendship.
Lucy Flores need to apologize to Joe Biden. And the Democratic Party needs to find the will to lead, again. To have a collective confidence that can win the next election. Right now, my party seems bent on hoping some magic will come from Robert Mueller, or some lawsuit, rather than making magic with the right political message. We have to stop the politics of personal attack, and get back to the practice of the politics of leadership.
Otherwise, Trump gets four more years.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Witness Claims Oakland Police Searching for Wrong Car in Road Rage Homicide October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021