Loren M. Taylor, Oakland District Six Councilmember, Letter On “Shelter In Place”
Hi Oakland Residents,
During these unprecedented times of COVID-19, it’s of upmost importance to take care of one another and make decisions that are in the best interest of public health. Alameda County along with our six neighboring counties have issued a shelter in place order beginning at midnight tonight and will continue until at least April 7th, 2020.
What does shelter in place mean? Stay home and only leave for “essential activities” or “essential travel.”
The shelter in place impacts everyone except essential businesses: Healthcare operations, grocery stores, pharmacies and banks. (See Section 1 below)
I know this measure may seem a bit extreme but it is informed by our public health experts and this action is in place to protect the most vulnerable among us. Therefore helping to ensure that our hospital facilities are not overwhelmed.
Those at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19 (everyone age 65 or older, and those who have an underlying health problem)should stay inside at all times except for health care appointments.
Oakland Police, Fire and other Emergency public safety services will not be affected during this time, and all other City facilities will remain open unless otherwise announced.
Click here to read the complete language of the order.
As always, please feel free to reach out to our office with any additional questions/ follow-up.
Email us at [email protected]
Please share with any neighbors who may not have received this update!
Yours in Service of Oakland,
Loren M. Taylor, Councilmember
Oakland – District 6
1.Reasons To Leave Your Home?
Tasks essential to your family’s health and safety, including your pets
Getting necessary services and supplies, including groceries, prescriptions
Delivering such goods to family members or others
Going to appointments or obtaining services at any healthcare facility, including veterinary care (but not gyms)
Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities, or other vulnerable persons. Including pets
Travel to educational institutions to receive materials for distance learning or meals and other related services
Travel related to providing or accessing services exempted in the order
What is social distancing?
Social distancing is a strategy to limit the spread of COVID-19. This is a conscious effort to reduce contact between people to slow down the spread of the virus.
Even if you are symptom free and not part of an at-risk group.
You should avoid public places if you cannot stay six feet away from other people.
2. Businesses NOT Impacted?
Hospitals, clinics, dentists, pharmacies, home healthcare providers, and other healthcare facilities and businesses
Grocery stores, farmers’ markets, food and produce stands, food banks, convenience stores, or any other retailer who sells food, household and cleaning supplies, and personal care products
Restaurants and cafes for to-go service only, and food delivery services
Gas stations, auto repair shops, and related businesses
Laundromats and dry cleaners
Banks and financial institutions
Hardware stores, plumbers, electricians, exterminators and related service providers
Shipping and mailing services
Childcare and private educational institutions, in observance of social distancing restrictions
Residential facilities, shelters, and home-based care facilities
Organizations and businesses that provide food, shelter, and social services to high-need populations
Personal transportation providers including airlines, taxis, para-transit operations, ride share and other services
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Berkeley Councilmember Ben Bartlett Says FAA Threatens City’s Skies
- President Biden, First Lady, Vice President Harris Statements On Walter Mondale’s Passing
- Oakland A’s Road Warrior Ways Produce 8-Game Win Streak, 9-7 Record
- City of Oakland, Partners, Welcome New Brooklyn Basin Affordable Housing Units Residents
- VP Kamala Harris On Diplomacy With Mexico Northern Triangle Countries During Press Gaggle
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K