ONN – LeRonne Armstrong: OPD Oakland Police Chief Press Conference For April 2, 2021 – video by the YouTube channel in the video’s upper left hand corner.
For Immediate Release: April 2, 2021
OPD Chief Announces New Strategy to Reduce Violent Crime
Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong announced at a press conference today his plans to address the violence in his city. The Oakland Police Department (OPD) reports there have been 34 homicides this year. That is a 230% increase over this same time last year when 10 people lost their lives to violence in Oakland. “It hurts my heart when I arrive at a homicide scene and I hear the screams of grief from the family and see the tears rolling down their faces after losing a loved one,” says Chief Armstrong.
This year, 13 of Oakland’s homicide investigations were charged by the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office including, the homicide of 29-year-old Derrick Glenn. On March 24, 2021, Glenn was shot and killed at a gas station in the 2200 block of East 12th Street. OPD officers quickly arrested 34-year-old Brian LeGrand Jr. within 24 hours of the homicide. LeGrand was charged with Glenn’s murder.
In response to the increase in crime, Chief Armstrong created the Violent Crime Operations Center (VCOC). The VCOC’s primary focus is to provide a timely response to homicides, all gun-related crimes and supporting the Department’s Ceasefire strategy. Since the implementation of the VCOC officers have made several key arrests of homicide suspects and recovered numerous firearms.
The Department continues to partner with Oakland pastors in monthly community prayer vigils. Last Sunday, Bishop Bob Jackson of Acts Full Gospel Church, led the vigil to end violence in our city. More than 100 people attended the event at Verdese Carter Park. Chief Armstrong thanks the community for their continued support in reducing gun violence.
The City of Oakland continues to see an increase in violent and dangerous illegal sideshows. In response to this violent activity, Chief Armstrong makes a weekly request to the City Administrator for the authority to deploy a dedicated sideshow enforcement detail. The officers focus on deterring, enforcing, and responding to this illegal activity. Because of these efforts, nearly 20 vehicles have been towed, 11 individuals were arrested, and two firearms have been recovered.
The Department continues to partner with community groups, regional law enforcement agencies, and other city departments for a long-term solution to address illegal sideshows and violent crimes in Oakland.
#OPDCARES initiative is about working together as a community to help stop the tragic loss of life and reduce the level of violence in our city. Collectively, we want to ensure Oaklanders and our visitors are safe in our community.
Note from Zennie62Media and OaklandNewsNow.com : this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a YouTube channel. When the video is “liked” by Zennie62 YouTube, then it is automatically uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective here, on top of our is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours – is the use of the existing YouTube social graph on any subject in the World. Now, news is reported with a smartphone and also by promoting current content on YouTube: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary, or having a camera crew to shoot what is already on YouTube. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates
- Bishop O’Dowd at San Leandro Football 4.1.21 | Jesse Madden vs Demetrius Freeney
- Justin Fields Is Smartest QB In 2021 NFL Draft With Insane Aptitude Test Score
- Oakland Jobs: Waste Management Hiring Oakland California Residents At WM.com
- City Of Oakland Launches New Poet Laureate Program
- Oakland Fire Department Announced Oakland City Council Approved Return Of Full Service April 13th
- Exploring The Bay Area: Lake Chabot Park, Oakland, California Vlog
- Turf Toy On YouTube Brings 3-Wheel Slingshot SL To Oakland California
- Gina Champion-Cain San Diego Businesswoman Gets 15 Years In Prison For $400 Million Ponzi Scheme
- Grand Lake Theater Oakland Staff Fundraiser Short Of $35K Goal At $30,283 As Of April 13 2021
- 2/24/21 OUSD School Board Meeting – Resolution for Reparations for Black Students
- Oakland Police Chief LeRonne L. Armstrong Press Conference On Weekend Violence 4/12/ 21
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Votes To Use $10 Million To Restore Vital Community Services
- Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce Good On Greens, Fish, Shrimp, And Pasta. Mark Zuckerberg, Thanks!