The City of Oakland sent a press release announcing that Leila Mottley is Oakland’s 2018 Youth Poet Laureate. Here’s the details.
The Oakland Public Library is very excited to announce that 15-year-old Leila Mottley has been selected as the City of Oakland’s 2018 Youth Poet Laureate. Ms. Mottley is a student at Oakland School for the Arts, a 2018 Youth Speaks Teen Poetry Slam Winner, founder and president of her school’s Women of Color Club and founder of a youth-led program called Lift Every Voice which brings together youth from different backgrounds in art advocacy workshops around youth incarceration.
Innosanto Nagara, the author and illustrator of social justice themed children’s books A is for Activist, Counting on Community, My Night in the Planetarium, and The Wedding Portrait, who served as one of this year’s five Youth Poet Laureate judges, says, “That Leila Mottley is a poet’s poet was obvious just from reading her work. Then you learn about her community activism, and her sophistication makes sense. Finally, you meet her and experience her performance, and it’s clear that she embodies ‘Oakland Youth Poet Laureate’.”
Ms. Mottley has been serving the city as Vice Youth Poet Laureate and has performed and spoken as representative of the program, her peers, and her city at numerous events and cultural conversations. This year, she emerged as the best of six talented Finalists from Oakland. Ms. Mottley will receive a $5,000 scholarship provided by Friends of the Oakland Public Library and the opportunity to officially represent the Oakland community through poetry, media, and public appearances.
Oakland’s 2018 Vice Youth Poet Laureate is Samuel Getachew, 15-year-old Oakland Technical High School student. Mr. Getachew is the 2017 and 2018 Youth Speaks Teen Poetry Slam Grand Slam Champion and an ambassador of the voting initiative Eighteen by 18. His poetry has garnered over half a million views online.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021
- Ben Barlett Berkeley Councilmember Meetings On Traffic, Fire Safety This Week
- Ultra Black News | Ahmed Muhammad | Oakland Tech’s First Black Male Valedictorian
- Asian American Attacks: Couple Dragged In Brazen Parking Lot Robbery In Oakland
- 5 7 2021 Auto Accident Hit N Run Oakland East 14th & 2nd
- Zennie62 YouTube At 2008 DNC Convention, United Airlines Flight To Denver, Meeting Ashley Wolfe Long
- Kenny Mayne: ESPN Tried To Keep Kenny Mayne For Less But He Said No – No Tears Here
- Andrew Peterson Oakland CIO Gets Harari Conscious Leadership And Social Innovation Award
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave