Lauren Simmons has scored a hat-trick, of sorts: she’s not only the first full time New York Stock Exchange Trader, she’s the first African American woman to be a full time NYSE trader, and the youngest at 23 years old.
In an interview with Channel 11 the NBC Affiliate in Atlanta, Lauren Simmons says “It is surreal, and even to this day, it’s really hard to process. I wanted to be a genetic counselor.”
But just before graduating from Kennesaw State University in Georgia, she decided to use her statistics minor to find a job in finance. Ms.Simmons made connections on Linkedin to network and “I talked to any and everyone. Anyone who would listen. I got told a lot of nos, got told nothing, no responses, and had that one opportunity to bring me down to the trading floor.” And that was when she was hired by Rosenblatt Securities, becoming the second black woman on the trading floor and the first full time female trader in history.
“It’s really hard to process, and even when I say it, ‘I’m the second African-American,’ like it almost sounds as if it can’t be true,” Simmons said.
“I think if women applied, there would be more women on the trading floor, and if they were also aware of the position they could see themselves in the position,” she explained.
Lauren Simmons says the best part of the Rosenblatt Securities / NYSE job is its unpredictability.”It is not a typical nine-to-five job,” Simmons says. “I come in at six. I leave right at four, but the market goes up, it goes down emotions are flaring all day long.”
Lauren Simmons has a message both for Kennesaw State University graduates and the World: “I want there to be more stories like mine. Hopefully, it encourages more women, especially women of color, to break glass ceilings, as well, and to go out and to be the first and the second and these stories won’t be the first and second anymore, they will be the fiftieth or hundredth.”
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- International Blvd: Oakland September 18, 2021
- Meet the Oakland 9-year-old who went viral ballin’ against Governor Gavin Newsom September 18, 2021
- After Prevailing in State Recall Election, Governor Gavin Newsom Visits Oakland Melrose Leadership Academy September 18, 2021
- Oakland International Film Festival Focus On Black Farmers At Freedom Farmers Market September 18th September 18, 2021
- Oakland Homicides – OPD Police Reports 96 Homicides, On Pace For 134 By End Of 2021 September 18, 2021
- San Francisco Giants vs Atlanta Braves Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Councilman Joe Buscaino Talks Live On KCAL About Friday Night’s Earthquake September 18, 2021
- 4.3 Earthquake Southern California 9/17/2021 September 18, 2021
- 4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Carson area, shakes SoCal | ABC7 September 18, 2021
- 4.3M Earthquake Near carson… September 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Yannick Ngakoue Expected To Play In Week Two Vs The Steelers By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Brian Laundrie missing since Tuesday, search for Gabby Petito continues September 17, 2021
- FBI: Brian Laundrie is missing, search for Gabby Petito continues | LiveNOW from FOX September 17, 2021
- Robert Durst verdict: Real-estate heir found guilty in murder of Susan Berman | ABC7 September 17, 2021
- Report: 6 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coaches, 1 Player, 1 Nutritionist Positive For COVID-19 September 17, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update: The Portland Diamond Project Still Alive While Oakland A’s Talk Las Vegas September 17, 2021
- Downs Oakland Church Sunday Service 9.19.21 September 17, 2021
- The Austin Dunn Story Of Black East Bay Regional Park District Employee Of The 1930s September 17, 2021
- John & Sara Lemmon: Early California Botanists, Civil War Survivors and Influential Oakland Citizens September 17, 2021
- Introduction to Rockridge: Oakland’s Well-Loved Neighborhood September 17, 2021
- Moving to Oakland Commuting From Oakland to San Francisco September 17, 2021
- Gabby Petito: Police arrive at the home of Brian Laundrie’s parents September 17, 2021
- Oakland Mayor Schaaf’s Office Says Racist, Sexist Social Media Accounts Made By Several Oakland Police Officers September 17, 2021
- Amy Trask Bio & Hype Video For Amy Trask Talk On Las Vegas Raiders And Oakland Raiders Culture. September 17, 2021