ONN – COVID-19 Causing Las Vegas Stadium Hotel Tax Revenue To Take Massive Fall, Clark County Taxpayers Could Take Hit
COVID-19 Causing Las Vegas Stadium Hotel Tax Revenue To Take Massive Fall, Clark County Taxpayers Could Take Hit
As Las Vegas Stadium AKA Allegiant Stadium construction continues, seemingly having overcame its issues with materials delivery and errors in assembly, another problem is rapidly forming: the revenue from the stadium hotel tax is taking a giant hit due to the COVID-19 Coronavirus pandemic.
That the decline is happening is without question; the real question is, will the cut be so deep that bond debt reserves are exhausted and Clark County Taxpayers wind up footing the bill for the $750 million Las Vegas Stadium Bond Issue?
According to this vlogger’s research, as of this writing, the known cancelled major convention events sets for Clark County and the Las Vegas Strip total 55,900 visitors, a loss of $22,721,500, and a loss in hotel stadium tax revenue of $199,949.20. The events cancelled or postponed are Channel Partners Conference & Expo, Security industry conference ISC West, NXT Global Summit, Atmosphere ’20, Adobe Summit, MISS Conference, and SAP Ariva Live.
Since the average hotel stadium tax revenue per month has been about $4,200,000, so right now, that’s just about 4.7 percent of the monthly average. The trouble is, the real problem is the cancellations of visits to Las Vegas for March and for April are not confined to the events named – the list keeps growing.
Moreover the decline in non-convention visitors, though not subject to an official count in real time, is constantly mentioned in social media. It’s either a tweet reporting that “people call to cancel rooms through July”, or “a certain hotel looks empty”. What ever the specific mention, the overall picture is one of a Las Vegas without its normal levels of visitors.
It’s not off-base to say that it would seem Las Vegas has suffered a 50 percent drop in visitor rates for March, thus far. If that does, indeed, turn out to be the case, then the hotel stadium tax revenue would fall to $2 million for March. That would be a record low for Las Vegas Stadium Hotel Tax Revenue. Even worse, it would be a tally less than the bond debt times the debt coverage ratio of 1.5, which would be $4,247,343.75 – that would produce a March shortfall of $2,247,343.75.
The reserve of $9 million would cover that, but leave $6,752,656.25 – another bad month like that would drop the reserve and then just one more would take it out. Clark County would have to dip into its general fund to pay the Las Vegas Stadium Bond Debt plus the debt coverage ratio. In other words, Clark County taxpayers would wind up paying for the Raiders Stadium Bond.
How Clark County could get out of this is simple: it needs to install a property tax increment financing zone around the Raiders Stadium. The zone should be designed to raise another $300 million to $400 million from the rising property values around the Raiders Stadium.
If Clark County doesn’t take action, it, and it’s taxpayers, will wind up holding the Raiders bag – just like Oakland.
By the way, this problem would not have happened in Oakland because that stadium financing was not based on something as iffy as a hotel tax – which makes everyone worry about hotel visitor rates. It was based on a combination of more robust sources, including tax increment revenue, a subsidy give back, and a private loan from Fortress Investments.
But this is not a time to gloat over Las Vegas problems, but to jump in and help with ideas. Pandemics hurt all of us, so what bad happens to Las Vegas hurts you and me, and vice versa.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- 2022 Honda CIVIC Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 45605
- 2022 Honda CIVIC Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 45607
- Riding The Craziest Roller Coaster In England Tom Simons – Tommyinnit Reaction Video
- Loki Episode 2 : Response To Zennie Of Zennie62 By Joseph Armendariz
- President Biden Meeting Russian President Putin Is Our American Expression Of Democracy
- Juneteenth Is A National Holiday – My Complex Relationship With Juneteenth
- Review Of Marvel Studios Loki Episode 2 Review By Joseph Armendariz – Is Loki Evil?
- Loki Episode 2 : Did We See A Spiderman Logo Easter Egg By:Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Episode 2: Reaction And Commentary By Joseph Armendariz
- World Elder Abuse Awareness: Oakland Must Prioritize Getting Homeless Elderly Into Homes
- Kevin Durant Saves The Brooklyn Nets Season In Game Five Against The Bucks, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Homeless Encampment Believed To Be Cause Of Fire In Irwindale CA By Joseph Armendariz
- Derek Carr Is A Good Example Of What Being A Raider Means – By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jacob’s Derek Carr Mini Camp Press Conference My Take Joseph Armendariz
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore Because Of Cancel Culture -By Eric Pangilinan
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore
- What Will Be The Raiders Keys To Having A Winning Season: By Eric pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Oakland A’s Presentation To Alameda County With City of Oakland
- Charles Barkley Slams Cancel Culture – By Eric Pangilinan
- Will Derek Carr Get A Contract Extention From The Raiders?by Eric pangilinan