In a completely shocking move today, Las Vegas Sands, the company built by its late Founder and CEO Sheldon Adelson, has announced it has sold its Las Vegas real estate operations, including The Venetian Resort Hotel and Sands Expo and Convention Center, for 6.25 billion. Here’s the full press release:
Company Focused on Reinvestment in Asia and High Growth Opportunities in New Markets
LAS VEGAS, March 3, 2021 – Las Vegas Sands Corp. (NYSE: LVS) today announced that it has entered into definitive agreements to sell its Las Vegas real property and operations, including The Venetian Resort Las Vegas and the Sands Expo and Convention Center (collectively, “The Venetian”) for an aggregate purchase price of approximately $6.25 billion.
Under the terms of the agreement, an affiliate of funds managed by affiliates of Apollo Global Management, Inc. will acquire subsidiaries that hold the operating assets and liabilities of the Las Vegas business for approximately $1.05 billion in cash, subject to certain post-closing adjustments, and $1.2 billion in seller financing in the form of a term loan credit and security agreement, and VICI Properties Inc., will acquire subsidiaries that hold the real estate and real estate-related assets of The Venetian for approximately $4.0 billion in cash. The closing of the transactions is subject to customary closing conditions, including regulatory approvals. Goldman Sachs & Co. LLC acted as exclusive financial advisor to Las Vegas Sands. Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom LLP served as legal advisor.
Sands executives said that while selling The Venetian, the property that helped establish Sheldon Adelson and his company at the top of the gaming industry, will be bittersweet, the opportunities for the company to pursue new growth prospects are robust.
“The Venetian changed the face of future casino development and cemented Sheldon Adelson’s legacy as one of the most influential people in the history of the gaming and hospitality industry. As we announce the sale of The Venetian Resort, we pay tribute to Mr. Adelson’s legacy while starting a new chapter in this company’s history,” said Las Vegas Sands Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Robert Goldstein. “This company is focused on growth, and we see meaningful opportunities on a variety of fronts. Asia remains the backbone of this company and our developments in Macao and Singapore are the center of our attention. We will always look for ways to reinvest in our properties and those communities. There are also potential development opportunities domestically, where we believe significant capital investment will provide a substantial benefit to those jurisdictions while also producing very strong returns for the company.”
“Our long-held strategy of reinvesting in our Asian operations and returning capital to our shareholders will be enhanced through this transaction. Additionally, as our industry continues to evolve, particularly as it relates to the digital marketplace, we are committed to exploring those possibilities,” said Patrick Dumont, the company’s president and chief operating officer.
Mr. Dumont added, “Our company’s history will always be traced to the opening of The Venetian in Las Vegas. Today, Sands is the most valuable gaming company in the world with an established track record of success in developing and operating large-scale integrated resorts in Asia and the United States. The company’s financial strength, which grows stronger as a result of this deal, gives us the flexibility to pursue a multitude of new development opportunities,”
Mr. Goldstein, who once served as the president and chief operating officer of The Venetian and the connected Palazzo Resort, said it would be difficult saying goodbye to many long-time colleagues, but he was confident the property will continue its great success. He also said Apollo and VICI were the right companies to lead the property into the future and that additions like the MSG Sphere, a live performance venue being developed by Madison Square Garden, will create new growth opportunities for the property.
“The property is a best-in-class asset with a talented team of people operating it. I am confident Las Vegas will soon return to a more normal operating environment and The Venetian’s hard-working and dedicated team members will continue delivering a world-class experience to guests eager to enjoy it. I know I will be rooting for them,” he said.
About Las Vegas Sands Corp. (NYSE: LVS)
Las Vegas Sands is the world’s preeminent developer and operator of world-class Integrated Resorts. We deliver unrivaled economic benefits to the communities in which we operate.
Sands created the meetings, incentives, convention and exhibition (MICE)-based Integrated Resort. Our industry-leading Integrated Resorts provide substantial contributions to our host communities including growth in leisure and business tourism, sustained job creation and ongoing financial opportunities for local small and medium-sized businesses.
Our properties include The Venetian Resort and Sands Expo in Las Vegas, and the iconic Marina Bay Sands in Singapore. Through majority ownership in Sands China Ltd., we have developed the largest portfolio of properties on the Cotai Strip in Macao, including The Venetian Macao, The Plaza and Four Seasons Hotel Macao, The Londoner Macao and The Parisian Macao, as well as the Sands Macao on the Macao Peninsula.
Sands is dedicated to being a good corporate citizen, anchored by the core tenets of serving people, planet and communities. We deliver a great working environment for our team members worldwide, drive social impact through the Sands Cares community engagement and charitable giving program and lead in environmental performance through the award-winning Sands ECO360 global sustainability program. To learn more, please visit www.sands.com.
More on this move, and its implications for Las Vegas, and in particular the Las Vegas Raiders and Allegiant Stadium, here at OaklandNewsNow.com
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Amy Trask Interview – Oakland Now Las Vegas Raiders Live On Zennie62 YouTube September 16, 2021
- Amy Trask, Former Raiders CEO, CBS Sports Analyst, Interview On Zennie62 Live September 16, 2021
- The Oakland Roots Defeat Tacoma Defiance 3-1 September 16, 2021
- Oakland Schools News: OUSD Celebrates Latino Heritage Month September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Ice Cube & Too Short At Allegiant Stadium Halftime Show For MNF Ravens At Raiders September 16, 2021
- Here’s How to Increase Your EIDL Funding September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito Case: Family of Missing YouTuber Claims Fiancé Is ‘Refusing’ to Help Find Her September 16, 2021
- Yom Kippur 2021 – Jordan Matthew Ward Vlog September 16, 2021
- New York Jews Prepare For Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- The Holiest Day in Israel – Yom Kippur September 16, 2021
- Pathways to Entrepreneurship: A Fireside Chat with Jennifer Lopez and SBA Administrator Isabel Guzman September 16, 2021
- National Small Week Virtual Summit: Daymond John Of Shark Tank On ABC September 16, 2021
- National Small Business Week: Tarik Brooks of Combs Enterprises September 16, 2021
- SBA National Small Business Week: Mayors Supporting Latino-Owned Small Businesses September 16, 2021
- Gabby Petito And Brian Laundrie Last Video – VAN LIFE | Beginning Our Van Life Journey September 16, 2021
- Dr. Sian Proctor First Black Woman to Pilot A Space Mission – SpaceX Flight With All-Amateur Crew September 16, 2021
- SpaceX launch lights up night sky in Florida & Colorado September 16, 2021
- SpaceX Makes History Launching All-Civilian Crew Into Orbit September 16, 2021
- Chris Peeples AC Transit Board Member Oakland Gives Update At Awaken Cafe, Downtown Apr 5, 2016 September 16, 2021
- Cafe 817 Hosts Susan Mernitt,’s Oakland Bloggers Meetup 20th Anniversary Event Tuesday June 26 2013 September 16, 2021
- Modern Coffee Video From Tribune Tower Location In Oakland, 2017 September 16, 2021
- Best Cafes in Downtown Oakland for Digital Nomads By Nnenna Umelloh on YouTube September 16, 2021
- Gallegos Mexican Restaurant West Side Berkeley In YouTube Shorts Vlog September 16, 2021
- Oakland Police New “OPD Is Hiring” Video Latest Effort To Draw New Cops September 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Has Derek Carr Become Edgier This Year ? By Joseph Armendariz September 16, 2021