LakeFest Oakland was an attempt to restore the fun brought to the Lake Merritt neighborhood, and in particular Adams Point, by the great event of the 1990s Festival At The Lake. The big difference between LakeFest Oakland and Festival At The Lake is the former was just one day, and the latter was three days: Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Still, and maybe because of that one day limit, LakeFest Oakland, centered at the Lake Merritt Sail Boat House, was a massive success.
The idea of LakeFest was not widely known, and certainly not picked up by the media in the form of a preview story. Then, Jennifer Schulte decided that she didn’t like to see black folks having fun by barbecuing at the Lake, convinced herself that her concern was the use of a charcoal grill, when it really was just plain racism at the level of mental illness, and called the Oakland Police on them.
The result was a kind of re-awakening of what Oakland’s supposed to be about. A almost primal cry and desire to wipe away those racists who would seek to use law enforcement as a tool to demonstrate their hate, and just by having a damn good time. It was “BBQ Becky’s” hate that, via LakeFest, was channeled to a successful and well-attended, giant party.
LakeFest Oakland had fantastic musical, town bisiness talent featuring live performances by Alphabet Soup, DJ Cecil, Rumbache, Ajai Kasim with Oakland Future Trio, JAX, Sambafunk with Funkternal, Heat Dance Line, Young, Gifted & Black, and Sistah Iminah.
But most of all, as the video shows, it had many, many Oaklanders just plain hanging out at the Lake and talking, dacing, eating, drinking, singing, and resting. Lakefest, was a great success, and because it seemed to spring up because of BBQ Becky, it’s easy to think this is the first time, ever, it happened. But the reality is LakeFest was done before, and it was a block-long street festival on Lakeshore Avenue in 2009, and it was created by Helen Wyman. Here’s my video from that event on August 1, 2009:
During that time, Oakland Events, Helen’s event company, produced LakeFest. But eventually, she landed a position with Community Bank of The Bay, and Oakland Events, folded, as did LakeFest. How that LakeFest became today’s LakeFest is not known, but the event formula is exactly the same: sign up local hip talent, have booths for local Oakland food and retain venders, and use a place located around Lake Merritt in Oakland. Beyond that, the difference is that Helen’s LakeFest of 2009 was planned Helen Wyman, and this one’s in 2018 was planned and produced what is said to be a group of residents, but the real leader is a man who’s name is Travelle in my video.
But both have been great successes.
But is there a connection between the two? Did the 2018 LakeFest planners happen to know about 2009 LakeFest and desire to revive it? Did Helen know and give her help and blessing? Or was it a simple accident of association – a coincidence?
Whatever the answer, it’s plainly clear that the formula established by Wyman 10 years ago, and itself a kinda of off-shoot of the 90s Festival At The Lake, works, and is needed now more than ever in Oakland.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland International Film Festival Focus On Black Farmers At Freedom Farmers Market September 18th September 18, 2021
- Oakland Homicides – OPD Police Reports 96 Homicides, On Pace For 134 By End Of 2021 September 18, 2021
- San Francisco Giants vs Atlanta Braves Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 17, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 18, 2021
- Councilman Joe Buscaino Talks Live On KCAL About Friday Night’s Earthquake September 18, 2021
- 4.3 Earthquake Southern California 9/17/2021 September 18, 2021
- 4.3 magnitude earthquake hits Carson area, shakes SoCal | ABC7 September 18, 2021
- 4.3M Earthquake Near carson… September 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Yannick Ngakoue Expected To Play In Week Two Vs The Steelers By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Brian Laundrie missing since Tuesday, search for Gabby Petito continues September 17, 2021
- FBI: Brian Laundrie is missing, search for Gabby Petito continues | LiveNOW from FOX September 17, 2021
- Robert Durst verdict: Real-estate heir found guilty in murder of Susan Berman | ABC7 September 17, 2021
- Report: 6 New Orleans Saints Offensive Coaches, 1 Player, 1 Nutritionist Positive For COVID-19 September 17, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update: The Portland Diamond Project Still Alive While Oakland A’s Talk Las Vegas September 17, 2021
- Downs Oakland Church Sunday Service 9.19.21 September 17, 2021
- The Austin Dunn Story Of Black East Bay Regional Park District Employee Of The 1930s September 17, 2021
- John & Sara Lemmon: Early California Botanists, Civil War Survivors and Influential Oakland Citizens September 17, 2021
- Introduction to Rockridge: Oakland’s Well-Loved Neighborhood September 17, 2021
- Moving to Oakland Commuting From Oakland to San Francisco September 17, 2021
- Gabby Petito: Police arrive at the home of Brian Laundrie’s parents September 17, 2021
- Oakland Mayor Schaaf’s Office Says Racist, Sexist Social Media Accounts Made By Several Oakland Police Officers September 17, 2021
- Amy Trask Bio & Hype Video For Amy Trask Talk On Las Vegas Raiders And Oakland Raiders Culture. September 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Running Back Josh Jacobs Ruled Out For Week Two Vs The Steelers By Eric Pangilinan September 17, 2021
- LIVE: New Orleans Saints Player Interviews 9/17/21 Week 2 vs. Panthers September 17, 2021
- Pat McAfee Talks To Tyrod Taylor About Move To Texans, Very Unfortunate Career Path September 17, 2021