I just received a press release from the Oakland Unified School District with the title:
At Tonight’s Board of Education Meeting, Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell Will Discuss Changes to Police Services in this Time of Nationwide Protests Against Systemic Racism
Perhaps this will be the time the Oakland Unified School District gets rid of its god awful and racist internal police system.
Here’s the press release:
Oakland, CA — At the Board of Education’s regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesday evening, June 10, the first meeting since protestors swept across the country calling for everyone to support the Black Lives Matter movement, Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell will discuss her latest thinking about the District having its own police department, and what her vision of that department is going forward.
Oakland Unified School District supports all people who are calling for racial justice and equal treatment under the law. Likewise, everyone has expressed outrage at what happened to George Floyd at the hands of the Minneapolis Police Department, and agrees that this kind of institutional racism must be eliminated now. “I fully support the calls for racial equity and justice in our institutions, our workplaces, and our schools. I applaud the concrete actions taken at the local, state and national levels to right these historical wrongs,” says Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell. “It’s long overdue.”
Johnson-Trammell added, “Together, we can reimagine how to keep our schools safe, healthy and welcoming. Together, we can find a new way. A way that builds on OUSD’s strong foundation of community schools, restorative justice, and social emotional learning.”
The Superintendent’s Report during the early part of the virtual meeting will include Johnson-Trammell’s recommendation on the future of the Oakland School Police Department.
WHAT: Superintendent Kyla Johnson-Trammell Discusses Future of OUSD Police Department
WHEN: 5:30 p.m., Wednesday, June 10
WHERE: Stream meeting live on OUSD.org or via Zoom at: https://ousd.zoom.us/j/892491891
About the Oakland Unified School District
In California’s most diverse city, Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) is dedicated to creating a learning environment where “Every Student Thrives!” More than half of our students speak a non-English language at home. And each of our 83 schools is staffed with talented individuals uniting around a common set of values: Students First, Equity, Excellence, Integrity, Cultural Responsiveness and Joy. We are committed to preparing all students for college, career and community success.
To learn more about OUSD’s Full Service Community District focused on academic achievement while serving the whole child in safe schools, please visit OUSD.org and follow us @OUSDnews.
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Lights Go Out At Hawks State Farm Arena – Replay Of 2013 Super Bowl
- Hawks Trey Young 35-Foot 3-Pointer Vs 76ers Keeps Steph Curry Comparisons Alive
- Raiders Sign Former Chiefs Players By – Eric Pangilinan
- Philippines To Deploy Nurses Abroad By- Eric Pangilinan
- Who Is Caleb Scott ?Raiders Singed
- If Manny Pacquaio Beats Errol Spence Where Would Manny Rank
- AASEG And WNBA Press Conference Oakland At Everett And Jones BBQ By Vasu Vaddiparty
- WNBA Press Conference Oakland – By Vasu Vaddiparty
- Two SF Bay Area Women, VP Kamela Harris, Oakland Rep Barbara Lee, At Juneteenth Holiday Bill Signing
- For Beautiful Legs Build Strength And Balance Through Yoga
- Oakland Police Video Features Sgt Doria Neff Of The Mental Health Unit In Video Interview
- Governor Newsom visits small businesses in Oakland
- 3106 Magnolia St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- 2909 E 22nd St Oakland, CA 94601
- 5940-5942 Racine St Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale
- ALLBLACK describes West Oakland & East Oakland politics “Its two different worlds” (Part 1)
- Juvenile Crime – Oakland’s Juvenile Squad | Free Documentary
- Bike Oakland & San Leandro: Goldenrod Trail at Lake Chabot
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting June 17, 2021
- AASEG Announces Press Conference And Juneteenth Celebration Of WNBA Oakland Team Proposal