ONN – Kliff Kingsbury Says His Arizona Cardinals Offense Will Not Use Vertical Set Blocking “That’s A Mike Leach Mind Set”.
One aspect of the Airraid Offense has been that the offensive line always stood up and blocked – they were never kneeling. That approach was and is called “vertical set” pass blocking.
Well, new Arizona Cardinals Head Coach Kliff Kingsbury said that he was not going to use that approach.
Asked about it by Zennie62Media at the 2019 NFL Annual Meeting, the former Texas Tech Football Coach called vertical set pass blocking a “Mike Leach Thing,” pointing to the Washington State Head Coach, and one of the main proponents of the Airraid Offense.
This marks an interesting break in thinking behind the offense that features four and five wide receiver formations and constant use of the no-huddle approach to play calling. In Kliff Kingsbury’s Airraid Offense, the blocking will be more conventional.
During the talk with the NFL Annual Meeting Press, Kingsbury also said that he “never saw a reason not to be in” the shotgun. “To me, you’re able to see clearly, pre-snap, post snap.” This indicates that, should Kingsbury indeed pick Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray as the Number One Pick in the 2019 NFL Draft (Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury talks about Kyler Murray, Josh Rosen and his offense), the coach has a set of running plays in mind for him to use from shotgun.
But back to the matter of the vertical set, or lack thereof. It will be quite interesting to see that in action in the NFL. The vertical set was perfect for blunting a hard charging rush, but it did have the handicap of causing the pass pocket to collapse faster than a quarterback would like. Still, if you planned to pass over 35 times a game, the advantage is that the defensive line tires out and so it makes running easier as well as passing to score quickly, if necessary.
UPDATE: This vlogger went back to watch Texas Tech Football video from Kingsbury’s coaching time, and a watch of a series of downs reveals that his teams did use the vertical set blocking approach. That makes his answer at the 2019 NFL Annual Meeting notable: did he deliberately tell a falsehood to avoid giving away what his offensive plans are, or did he just not understand what a vertical set approach was, or something else?
Here’s Kliff’s Texas Tech team:
Note the standing but kneeling style of blocking: that’s vertical set.
Now, here’s Washington State’s version of that verticle set – there’s a slight difference:
The difference is that the Washington State Offensive Line stands taller in their verticle set – but it’s not too dissimilar from what Kingsbury did at Texas Tech.
Come on, Kliff!
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network – part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Timeline of disappearance of Gabby Petito September 19, 2021
- Saints Loss To Panthers Because Coaches Weren’t Prepared, Left Jameis Winston With Bad Game Plan September 19, 2021
- Oakland, CA – Random BAY AREA ROAD TRIP VLOG w Best Fren Lolo! – IamLindaElaine September 19, 2021
- Body Found In Gabby Petito Search Effort In Wyoming – Update September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Upset Win vs Pittsburgh Steelers 26 – 17, Derek Carr On 7,000 Yd Pace For 2021 September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr Last Two Games Has 817 Total Passing Yards By Eric Pangilinan September 19, 2021
- Raiders Live: Postgame Pressers – 9.19.21 | Week 2 | Las Vegas Raiders September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders 2-0 Henry Ruggs III Stepped It Up In Week Two By Eric Pangilinan September 19, 2021
- Golden Bears earn first win of season in 42-30 victory over Hornets September 19, 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | September 19, 2021. 10am September 19, 2021
- LIVE: Saints-Panthers Postgame Show Week 2 | 2021 NFL September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Alex Leatherwood Out For 2nd Half With Injury By Joseph Armendariz September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Offensive Line Struggles In First Half At Steelers By Joseph Armendariz September 19, 2021
- Saints At Panthers – Will Jameis Winston Run Sean Payton’s Mike Martz Passing Approach? September 19, 2021
- Raiders vs Steelers Game Betting Prediction – Take Pittsburgh Give Points To Las Vegas September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts 8th Grade Promotion 2021 September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts Class 2021 Graduation September 19, 2021
- Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes – Oakland – September 12th, 2021 September 19, 2021
- Best Nursing Schools in Oakland, California, United States September 19, 2021
- #1 Alabama vs #11 Florida: Extended Highlights | CBS Sports HQ September 19, 2021
- Nick Saban talks Alabama’s win vs. Florida | ESPN College Football September 19, 2021
- UCLA vs. Fresno State Postgame Press Conference After Upset Loss To Fresno State September 19, 2021
- Fresno State stuns No. 13 UCLA after an unforgettable fourth quarter September 19, 2021
- Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member on “Democracy and Defending our Civil Rights” September 19, 2021
- Berkeley’s Homeless Crisis with Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member September 19, 2021