Oakland – This is how bad the need for masks at Kaiser Permanente in Oakland is: a nurse took to Nextdoor to make this request:
Hi everyone, I am a Registered Nurse at Kaiser Oakland. As you all know there is a grave shortage of masks and other protective equipment. The hospital is no longer giving us N95’s to use while caring for possible COVID-19 patients, and slowly people on the front lines have begun to get sick. Currently nurses get a single SURGICAL mask and a paper bag from the hospital and we must use this mask over and over again in multiple patients’ rooms. The contaminated mask is stored in a paper bag to be reused possibly exposing the wearer to the virus.
The CDC suggests using homemade masks or a bandana around the face if in dire straits… Please help protect us so we can serve our community and fulfil our calling safely. This is my DESPERATE plea for N95 Donations, OR even surgical mask donations. ❤️ thank you.
(I’ve attached a photo of my surgical mask I used for 2 shifts. I was lucky to get a face shield that day.)
***UPDATE: 2 of my dear friends from the neighborhood have volunteered in this effort to get as many masks to as many nurses as possible.
For PICKUPS: Please message —
For DROPOFFS: Please message —
My phone number is –. (Unfortunately) I have been working nights this last week and so I have been sleeping during the day. These 2 Ladies are helping us out. THANKYOU TO EVERYONE. I CANNOT SAY THAT ENOUGH. THANK YOU. ??❤️
The request caused 65 responses, including these:
“Terrible, a true fiasco. Shameful. We will be learning for the future, but our collective lack of preparation is a travesty.”
“If I had a mildly used P100 (worn two years ago, not recently): do you want it? If so: where, exactly, would I bring it?”
“Where can we donate?”
“Hi. So tragic that you have to deal with this anxiety while taking care of people.I have about 10 masks, unfortunately not N95s , that I’d love to donate. Email me..”
“I am so sorry you are in this position.. please keep reaching out and asking for what you need.. and i wishing you strength and wellness.. i just heard 200 nurses in ny are out of commssion from having contracted. this is a terrible situation.”
Masks Needed For Visiting Kaiser Patients Too
Here is North Georgia, the Kaiser in Morrow, Georgia has masks for each employee. But Kaiser Georgia is also closing some offices, like the one in Fayetteville, Georgia, and sending people to the larger Morrow, Georgia facility. Why? A nurse shortage.
But in sending patients to Morrow, Georgia, Kaiser’s bringing more germy people in the place than personnel they apparently have that can clean it up. The result is that if you visit and don’t have a mask, you just might catch something. I say that, because it happened to me.
This is what I texted a friend:
I took Mom to Kaiser. They have the workers wearing masks; all throughout the facility in Morrow GA. None for the visitors. I asked for a mask after other workers told me that I could get one. This one clerk lied and said they did not have any, then let it slip that they only give them if you’re sick. BS.
The place was a fucking Petri dish of germs! They’re not telling you something: you can get this fast in an environment where it’s festering. They either don’t know or are trying to kill us all.
Mom was right that I just needed rest. Get your rest. The moment you are vulnerable, and out in a hospital without a mask you will get hit and feel tired in nothing flat.
Never experienced this before. I was already with vitamins and nourishment so that saved me along with a really good diet.
But what is happening is scary. Mom is fine and may have some immunity to it. Whatever the the case I am thankful.
But this virus. We are not being told something about it’s origins. Maybe I am being too dramatic but it seems like a bio weapon.
I am better but really going to stay in as much as I can. I was doing that but needed to take Mom to get her medicine. The local Kaiser closed to we came to the other one. Why? Nurse shortage!
This was the video I made at the Kaiser “Southwood” facility:
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL Trade Rumors On Odell Beckham, Von Miller, Saquon Barkley, Jimmy Garoppolo + Dak Prescott Injury October 18, 2021
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021