Federal Judge William Alsup dismissed Oakland, San Francisco climate change lawsuit.
The City of Oakland and City and County of San Francisco’s very misguided attempt to penalize oil companies for alleged damages tied to global warming was thrown out today by United States District Court for the Northern District of California Federal Judge William Alsup, who said modern life would not exist without liquid fuels and that it was wrong to penalize the companies that made products the public depends upon to exist.
While Judge Alsup did point to the problem of climate change, as did the oil companies, he said the courts were not the place to deal with the matter.
John Schwartz gives some detail of the Judge’s decision in the New York Times, but no copy of the text of what Judge Alsop wrote has been available on any media web page as text – until now. The entire Judge Alsup ruling text is here.
“The worldwide problem of global warming should be determined by our political branches, not by our judiciary. In sum, this order accepts the science behind global warming. So do both sides. The dangers raised in the complaints are very real. But those dangers are worldwide. Their causes are worldwide. The benefits of fossil fuels are worldwide.worldwide. The benefits of fossil fuels are worldwide. The problem deserves a solution on a more vast scale than can be supplied by a district judge or jury in a public nuisance case. While it remains true that our federal courts have authority to fashion common law remedies for claims based on global warming, courts must also respect and defer to the other co-equal branches of government when the problem at hand clearly deserves a solution best addressed by those branches. The Court will stay its hand in favor of solutions by the legislative and executive branches. For the reasons stated, defendants’ motion to dismiss is GRANTED, “wrote Judge William Alsup of Federal District Court in San Francisco in ruling against the cities.
The ruling was a shocking defeat and major embarrassment for the otherwise capable Oakland City Attorney Barbara J. Parker and San Francisco City Attorney Dennis Herrera. In fairness, it must be noted that both Parker and Herrera have accepted campaign contributions and support from Tom Steyer, the billionaire who demanded they pursue the litigation against the major oil companies.
This is the third time such nuisance-style lawsuits from activists have been rejected by the courts. The cities wanted the defendants – including BP, Chevron, ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil and Royal Dutch Shell – to help pay for projects like protecting coastlines from flooding. A better objective would have been to tie litigation to the needs of Oakland and San Francisco.
At a time where the homeless population is at record levels, and public transportation funding has challenges, it’s confusing that both cities would invest time and money on a lawsuit that has no immediate benefit to the people of Oakland and San Francisco.
In the past, Oakland, in particular, would actvate its contracted lobbyists to get behind legislation to deal with an important matter like this one.
But today, Oakland feels the need to litigate everything in court, rather than find ways to pass laws to make government work to improve market behavior, with respect to the environment and economic development.
The full text of Judge Alsup’s ruling can be read here.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders ESPN Named QB Derek Carr The Most Underappreciated In The NFL By Eric Pangilinan September 24, 2021
- Frank Somerville Of KTVU Suspended For Gabby Petito Comments He Told Blogger Richard Lieberman September 24, 2021
- Cam Jordan on Mac Jones, Belichick’s Offense | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Sean Payton & Bill Belichick | New Orleans Saints September 24, 2021
- Coach Gruden on Final Prep for Miami and Richie Incognito’s Progress | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 24, 2021
- Leyton CES 2022 Challenge September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland A’s Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Jake Ellenbogen LA Rams Vlogger At Downtown Rams Interviewed By Zennie62Media’s Bill Carroll September 24, 2021
- Are Oakland Baseball Fans Voting NO to Dave Kaval and Organization by Derrick Soo September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson – 60 Percent Of The Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Look Fake – Here’s Why September 24, 2021
- When will the Dolphins make their big push for Deshaun Watson? | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports September 24, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Solstice Art ride (Oyster Bay, Airport, Bay Farm) September 24, 2021
- Deshaun Watson Remains Committed to Forcing His Way out of Houston | THE ODD COUPLE September 24, 2021
- Christian McCaffrey Injury Status – Panthers Matt Rhule Gives Injury Update After Win Over Texans September 24, 2021
- Oakland A’s Dave Stewart Wants To Own Coliseum Land, But Blasts Councilmember Kaplan On Twitter September 24, 2021
- Oakland Hit With Lawsuit for Failure to Clean Up Homeless Camps September 24, 2021
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Recalling Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021