Statement by Jovanka Beckles on Synagogue Killings in Pittsburgh
Armed with an assault rifle and at least three handguns, a man shouting anti-Semitic slurs opened fire in a Pittsburgh synagogue Saturday morning, killing at least 11 people and wounding six others. The Anti-Defamation League said the attack was among the deadliest against the Jewish community in the United States.
On Saturday, Richmond City Council member and AD 15 candidate Jovanka Beckles released a statement on the news of the shooting.
“I extend my deep condolences to the families, friends and relations of the victims of the hate killings at the Tree of Life Synagogue in Pittsburgh today. My heart is so heavy, almost beyond bearing,” Beckles said, speaking in Berkeley.
“With hatred and discrimination and anti-Semitism let loose in our land, we must gather to embrace each other in love.
“All of us must take our own and each other’s pain and together seek healing. We need mutual empathy, understanding, acceptance of types of living, thoughts and beliefs other than our own. We can think, learn, and act together in deeper understanding of our differences and our common humanity that binds us together.”
“We need to mobilize politically to stop hatred, divisiveness and the inequities that subjugate our fellow humans. As we move toward the midterm elections next week, I hope that everyone can sympathize with the vulnerable, with the discriminated-against because that could be any one of us. Our humanity can be expressed politically and in unity.”
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Carroll Fife, District 3 Oakland Councilmember, Talks Housing And Homeless Problems With Experts
- Mandela Station At West Oakland BART Shows New City In City
- Self-Service Buffets Return To Las Vegas Strip
- Dogecoin Cools After Week Of Dramatic Growth Ahead Of Elon Musk On SNL
- Oakland Police Department On Unsolved Homicide Of Henry Texada
- Oakland Police Captain Jones With Ceasefire, Captain Holmgren Talk Violent Crime
- Mass Vaccination Site at Oakland Coliseum Closing
- Leigh Steinberg Talks NFL Post 2021 Draft – Will COVID-19 Be The Same Problem As 2020?
- Carroll Fife Oakland District 3 Councilmember On Housing, Homelessness, and Reform
- This Bullying Oakland Mayor Schaaf Has Gone Too Far – Terrorizing Libby As Evil As Police Brutality
- SpaceX’s Starship SN15 Makes First Landing Without Exploding
- John Jones Has A Major Surprise For Oakland California Friends, Politicians
- Oakland Planning Commission Approved Giant 415 20th Skyscraper Ignores Homeless – Thomas Berkeley?
- Oakland Planning Commission Meets Livestream On 415 20th, The Tallest Building In Oakland, If Built
- Oakland And San Francisco Hire California Movers USA For Your Next Relocation
- 415 20th Street Will Be Oakland’s Tallest Building, Draw 3,800 Employees – Planning Commission Says It Has No Impact
- Oakland Lacrosse Club, Oakland Athletic League, OUSD Partner For Girls Lacrosse League
- Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow: The Futurism Of Walt Disney
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California 05/05/2021
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With: Bike Oakland Ride To The New Ghost Town