Jovanka Beckles, candidate to represent Assembly District 15, today condemned the nomination and potential confirmation of Judge Brett Kavanaugh to the US Supreme Court. “His confirmation would be a desecration of democracy,” Beckles said.
“The charges of sexual assault are only one sign of Judge Kavanaugh’s willingness to rank the importance of his own and his friends’ interests over those of people they consider beneath them.
“Kavanaugh is supported by powerful corporate lobbies especially for his consistent attacks from the bench on environmental protection, on the exercise of EPA authority to limit pollution, on wildlife protections, and upholding corporate impunity and laying the groundwork for Citizens United.”
Kavanaugh’s judicial record, as reflected in recent articles by Lee Fang and Sharon Lerner in The Intercept, demonstrates fealty to corporate interests, opposition to EPA protections of the environment, and a willingness to lie about his own actions as a judge. His decisions in appellate court laid the groundwork for the Citizens United decision that opened floodgates to corporate money in politics.
“The willingness to assault women and to lie, and his judicial inclination to permit violence against the earth and to lie, are connected,” Beckles stated. “They demonstrate his disrespect for other humans and for the planet upon which we all depend. It is no coincidence that he is powerfully backed by the fossil fuel and chemical industries in their efforts to overturn the Supreme Court’s 2007 ‘Chevron Deference’ decision” (which reinforced federal and thus EPA authority to act on implicit imperatives of regulatory legislation).
“We know in Richmond the power of Chevron’s money. And we know how our justice system has tilted in the direction of money, away from communities of color, and has permitted women’s victimization.
“We need to free our government from its corporate overseers and establish real justice not only for women and minorities, but for all people and be mindful of the earth itself.”
Beckles has been endorsed by the Sierra Club of California and eight other statewide, regional, and local environmental action organizations.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021
- Beck Bennett Leaves SNL Saturday Night Live After Historic 2020, 8 Years – Check His Instagram Page September 27, 2021
- Here’s where Dog the Bounty Hunter thinks Brian Laundrie is September 27, 2021