Oakland Police Commission Announces John Alden as the new Executive Director for the Community Police Review Agency in press release sent to Zennie62Media.
Oakland, CA — The Oakland Police Commission is pleased to announce that John Alden will serve as the Executive Director for the Community Police Review Agency effective Monday, July 29, 2019.
“Following a lengthy and extensive recruitment process where the Police Commission ultimately submitted two highly qualified candidates to fill the CPRA Executive Director position, I am elated that John will be taking the helm of the CPRA and directly support the Police Commission in the important work of civilian police accountability,” said Police Commission Chair Jackson. “John brings extensive and in depth experience in civilian oversight work that will serve us well.”
John Alden brings to Oakland a decade of deep experience in police accountability. Mr. Alden previously worked for the San Francisco Department of Police Accountability (DPA), formerly known as the Office of Citizen Complaints, and also for the Internal Affairs Division of the San Francisco Police Department. In those offices, he managed the investigation of complaints of police misconduct and use of excessive force, litigated disciplinary hearings, and advocated for changes in police policies and procedures. Mr. Alden also served as the Managing Attorney of the Independent Investigations Bureau (“IIB”) in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, a unit specializing in the investigation and prosecution of Officer Involved Shootings, In Custody Deaths, and other forms of potentially criminal officer misconduct.
Before working in police accountability, Mr. Alden began his career as a prosecutor, working in Sonoma and Marin Counties, and then transitioned to private practice litigating employment law matters. Early in his career, he worked in the State Legislature as an Unruh Fellow.
Mr. Alden received both his law degree and bachelor’s degree from the University of California, Berkeley.
Upon his appointment to the position of Executive Director of the Community Police Review Agency, Mr. Alden said: “The City of Oakland’s renewed investment in civilian oversight in the last few years has been inspirational to me. The public’s passage of Measure LL and city leaders’ continuing support for reform make clear that Oakland will be a cutting-edge model of accountability and transparency in the years to come. I am thrilled to be part of such a team, and honored to serve the people of Oakland.”
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Skateboarders Making Pilgrimage to San Francisco’s Pier 7, Following Vandalism October 20, 2021
- NEW NBA odds released, plus MLB playoffs and NFL WEEK 6 Recap October 20, 2021
- 30 Years Later: East Bay Remembers Oakland Hills Fire October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In N Out temporarily closed over city’s proof of COVID 19 October 20, 2021
- Public Enemy – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Conv. Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Anthrax – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Primus – 30th Anniversary Oaktown’s On Fire! – Kaiser Convention Center – Oakland, CA – 10/20/1991 October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Anthony Davis (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Mark Zuckerberg’s Post On Facebook’s Impact On America Forgets U.S. Diversity Makes It Ripe Target For Hate Content October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: LeBron James (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Lakers Postgame: Frank Vogel (10/19/21) October 20, 2021
- Oakland PD Hates On Doja October 20, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 4 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | LeBron James (34 pts, 5 ast, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Anthony Davis (33 pts, 11 reb) vs Golden State Warriors October 20, 2021
- Stephen Curry Tallies a Triple-Double in Season Opener! | Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Oakland City Council Unanimously Approves Vice Mayor Rebecca Kaplan’s Proposal To Support Litigation Against Ghost Guns October 20, 2021
- Henry Ruggs III Mic’d Up vs. Broncos: ‘All Bama on the Board!’ | Week 6 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL October 20, 2021
- Boxing Sandor Martin Stuns Boxing World By Defeating Former Champ Mikey Garcia By Eric Pangilinan October 19, 2021
- Meet Jon Bean, Oakland Rising’s Deputy Director Taks With Liz Suk, Executive Director October 19, 2021
- Philadelphia Eagles vs Las Vegas Raiders | Week 7 NFL Game Preview October 19, 2021
- Oakland hills firestorm marks 30th anniversary October 19, 2021
- 30 years later: Remembering the Oakland Hills Fire October 19, 2021
- Los Bukis ULTIMO CONCIERTO 2021 Oakland CA I Mi Mayor Necesidad October 19, 2021
- In-N-Out Burger in Battle With San Francisco Health Officials Over COVID Rules October 19, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- TITANS y BILLS se baten en un ASOMBROSO duelo de MONDAY NIGH | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 19, 2021
- LIVE SPORTS TALK! Monday Night Football Bills Titans Recap, MLB Playoffs, Next LSU Head Coach? October 19, 2021
- San Francisco Leaders Offer Cash Rewards in Hopes of Reducing Car Break-Ins October 19, 2021