ONN – Jeremy Gong Isn’t Running For The Oakland City Council District 1 Seat, FYI
Jeremy Gong Isn’t Running For The Oakland City Council District 1 Seat, FYI
A look at the City of Oakland website page marked “Find Candidates & Measures by Election” reveals four Oaklanders running for Oakland City Council District 1: Stephanie Walton, Jeremy Gong, Councilmember Dan Kalb, and Tri Ngo.
So, the City of Oakland’s website isn’t designed to tell you when a candidate has dropped out of an election race, but that’s what Jeremy Gong did. How do I know? Because, in an effort to learn about him before I reached out to set an interview, I found a blog post he wrote on Medium, and reporting that he was dropping out of the race for health reasons.
Mr. Gong wrote: “This January I had intended to seek the endorsement of East Bay DSA before launching a campaign for Oakland City Council in District 1. I regret to announce that, due to health concerns, I will be withdrawing my request for an endorsement, and terminating my plan to run for office. While this decision has been difficult, I don’t regret choosing to run. The experience has shown me the potential of our movement and the need for DSA to run our own candidates and build independent electoral power.”
Now I Saw This Thing About The DSA, Cat Brooks, And Racism
So, now you know that Jeremy Gong is not running for the Oakland City Council District 1 Seat that Councilmember Kalb holds. But, there was something else I spotted while conducting the search about Mr. Gong: this entry posted by a member of the Oakland Democratic Socialists of America, and as a response to Gong’s request that the DSA not endorse then-Oakland Mayoral Candidate Cat Brooks. While Gong’s medium-based blog post was removed, this reddit entry was not:
Strasserite in Pooperville
18 points ·
1 year ago
For those who were not at East Bay DSA’s July General Meeting, you should read this statement from our co-chairs about the events that took place there. In short: during an open debate among our chapter about whether or not to carry out an endorsements process in August, Cat Brooks and her associates and supporters intervened in the meeting, took and held the floor (despite protestations from the chair, who was called racist for seeking to facilitate the meeting according our chapter’s democratically decided-upon rules), and denounced DSA as a white, racist organization consisting of “gentrifiers.” DSA was described as “the problem,” the clear implication being that our organization is a cause of both racism and gentrification, if not other social ills.
The reactions, while few, were in total, dismissive of Cat. While I don’t agree with how Ms. Brooks reportedly conducted herself, the DSA not asking Cat why she calls the group racist doesn’t help.
There’s a sad pattern where someone white in Oakland who’s called racist by someone black just says “No, I’m not”, rather than making any attempt to see the World through the eyes of the black person. This happens far too often.
If the Oakland Democratic Socialists of America wants to not be seen as racist by black and African American activists who should be on its side, like Brooks, the easy action for its managers to take is to ask how they can improve, and what they should do to become truly integrated.
Note from Zennie62Media and Oakland News Now: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Cowboys vs Vikings Predictions | NFL Odds, Free Picks & Best Bets for Week 8 October 27, 2021
- stuff garlic bread||yummy ||delicious ||domino’s ||zomato ||food network October 27, 2021
- Good Morning Football | Kyle Brandt “Derek Carr ‘MVP'” in Las Vegas Raiders BEAT Philadelphia Eagles October 27, 2021
- Blazers vs Grizzlies | Free NBA Picks 10/27 | Memphis @ Portland Today’s Basketball Bet | Kyle Kirms October 27, 2021
- The way Luka Doncic Runs up to Apologize 😂 #Shorts October 27, 2021
- LIVE: NBC News NOW – October 27 October 27, 2021
- VBET Armenian Premier League. Matchday 11. FC Alashkert – FC Noah October 27, 2021
- Indianapolis Colts vs Tennessee Titans Picks, Predictions and Odds | NFL Week 8 Preview | Oct 31 October 27, 2021
- Kay Burley takes a look at what we can expect to see in Budget 2021 October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: The Chancellor takes the red box to the House of Commons October 27, 2021
- Supply chain crisis | US stores add Soviet vibes to their shelves October 27, 2021
- Grizzlies vs. Trailblazers 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Today Football Prediction | 27/10/2021 | Betting Strategy | DAILY FOOTBALL PREDICTIONS October 27, 2021
- Arizona Cardinals vs Green Bay Packers Picks, Predictions and Odds | Thursday Night Football Preview October 27, 2021
- Jaguars vs Seahawks Predictions | NFL Odds, Free Picks & Best Bets for Week 8 October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Game Picks and Betting Locks October 27, 2021
- 10/27/21 FREE NBA Picks and Predictions on NBA Betting Tips for Today October 27, 2021
- Clashes erupt at demonstration against Ecuadorian President Lasso in Quito October 27, 2021
- CA EDD Update Pending, Fraud, Audit, EDD’s Accountability Hearing With CA Assembly October 27, 2021
- Jetson One – Official Launch October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves World Series Game 1 win over Houston sends Braves fans home happy October 27, 2021
- Budget 2021: Robert Jenrick says there are ‘reasons to be optimistic’ October 27, 2021
- Oakland A’s Howard Terminal Update Alameda County Board Comments, Vote On TIF Revenue Agreement October 27, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 First Look Up Close Details October 27, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs. Houston Astros | 2021 World Series Game 1 News Update October 27, 2021
- CrossTalk | EU and China ‘frenemies’ October 27, 2021
- Learn how to create Khloe Kardashian’s ‘Candy Crush’ inspired nails October 27, 2021
- Mom is creepin’ it real this Halloween with larger-than-life DIY garage door monster October 27, 2021
- Why do some women wait decades for an ADHD diagnosis? – BBC News October 27, 2021
- Formal Dress For Men | Men’s Fashion | Formal Outfit For Men 2021 | Formal Pant Shirt Matching Ideas October 27, 2021
- Russell Wilson to the Saints and other NFL trades we’d love to see | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 27, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Picks, Best Bets & Survivor Pool Selections w/ Cam Stewart | Against The Spread October 27, 2021
- All-New 2023 Corvette Z06 Reveal October 27, 2021
- NBA Top 10 Plays Of The Night | October 26, 2021 October 27, 2021
- Reaction To The San Jose Sharks 3-1 Loss At The Nashville Predators October 27, 2021
- A’s Clear Latest Hurdle in Howard Terminal Saga October 27, 2021
- A’s Waterfront Ballpark Move Still on Track After Supes Vote October 27, 2021
- Elizabeth Holmes Interviews Used as Evidence in Theranos Trial October 27, 2021
- Flood aftermath in Catania October 27, 2021
- HIGHLIGHTS | Arsenal vs Leeds United (2-0) | Carabao Cup | Super sub Chambers & Nketiah October 27, 2021