Oakland, CA (press release) – The Oakland Public Library is pleased to announce Jamie Turbak as Director of Library Services for the City of Oakland. Oakland City Administrator Sabrina Landreth confirmed the appointment on Friday, January 18.
Turbak was selected as the library’s director following a national search. She had served as interim director since March 2018 following the retirement of previous director Gerry Garzón. She becomes OPL’s 13th director since the City incorporated public library services in 1878.
Turbak will focus her attention to the expansion of library services in 2019, with the goal of developing system-wide policies and services that are most user-friendly for library patrons. Oaklanders recently passed Measure D, a $75 parcel tax that will generate an estimated $10 million per year for library services and operations.
“This is an incredibly exciting time for the Oakland Public Library and it is a deep honor to be the Director of Library Services in this vibrant city,” said Turbak. “In 2019, we plan to have all library locations open more hours, improve our web-based services, embark on new partnerships with community organizations, and implement policy changes that will make the library more user-friendly. I’m proud to work alongside passionate, committed, and focused library staff who drive improvements in our service each and every day.”
Turbak has worked in public libraries for more than 20 years. In 2001, she joined OPL as an entry-level, temporary part-time Library Assistant and has worked her way through the system as a Children’s Librarian, Branch Manager, Supervising Librarian for Children’s Services and the Main Branch, Administrative Librarian, Associate Director and most recently as Interim Director of Library Services.
Turbak graduated from UC Berkeley with a B.A. in English and earned her Master of Library Science from San Jose State. She began her career as an on-call library aide at Berkeley Public Library.
About the Oakland Public Library
The Oakland Public Library is a part of the City of Oakland in California and has been in existence since 1878. Locations include 16 neighborhood branches, a Main Library, a Second Start Adult Literacy Program, the Oakland Tool Lending Library, and the African American Museum and Library at Oakland (AAMLO). The Oakland Public Library empowers all people to explore, connect, and grow.
LET ZENNIE62MEDIA TELL YOUR STORY
Let ZENNIE62MEDIA Tell The Story About You The Media Refuses To Produce. Visit our site and hire Zennie62Media.
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- The Oakland A’s Never “Rooted In Oakland” – Las Vegas Mayor Says Relocation Talk 2 Years Old
- Oakland Athletics In RelocationTalks for 2 Years According To LV Review Journal – by Richard Haick
- City Of Oakland Eviction Moratorium Not Impacted By Federal Ruling
- RaceTrac Fayetteville Ga Gas Pumps Out Of Gas Except Diesel Due To Cyberattack
- 2021 NFL Schedule Revealed On NFL Network’s Schedule Release 21 Show
- NFL Gives Nine Social Justice Programs $2.5 Million
- SF Bay Area Bicycle Is Back With Bike Oakland: Bancroft And International
- Rockets Kill 2 Israelis, Airstrikes Kill 28 In Gaza | MSNBC
- Crocker Highlands Mid-Century, Oakland, CA, 94610
- Violent Israeli-Palestinian Unrest Kills At Least 33 | The 11th Hour
- MLB tells Oakland A’s to start exploring other cities
- Team Coverage: Major League Baseball Greenlights Oakland A’s To Consider Relocating
- Talk’s Las Vegas Athletics For Oakland A’s Relocation But Portland Has 50K Signatures For MLB Ballpark
- Rep Liz Chaney Speech On House Floor On Eve Of Vote To Oust Her From House GOP Leadership
- Las Vegas Raiders New Number Changers For 2021 Season. By Joseph Armendariz
- May 11, 2021
- Livestream: Blame To Go Around In Oakland A’s Relocation Threat? Start With Oakland Athletics
- MLB Ask Oakland Athletics To Threaten Relocation – Oakland City Council’s Progressive Wing Steps In
- Live: Dr. Fauci Testifies At Senate Hearing On Covid-19 Response | NBC News
- Watching Amanda Gorman Keynote At Professional Business Woman California Conference 2021