Ivan Garcia, Native Oaklander and youth activist, will be honored as the Youth Grand Marshal during Oakland Pride’s ninth annual pride parade this coming Sunday, September 9th, 2018.
Ivan was chosen as the Youth Grand Marshal for Oakland Pride 2018 for his work throughout the community, especially in his efforts to ensure that all young people throughout his hometown, Oakland, around the nation, and around the globe feel proud and comfortable with who they are.
Ivan Garcia is currently a sophomore at Head-Royce School in Oakland. He is committed to serving youth in the Oakland community and beyond to ensure that they have the support, and resources to be able to create a positive impact in the world. Before getting into the work he is currently doing, Ivan filmed and directed a class film titled “Dear Mr. Trump” with his entire 8th grade class following the 2016 Presidential Election. The video is reflective of his peers’ thoughts and hopes for at the time, President Elect, Donald Trump, and made it easy for his entire class to voice their opinions while making their voices easily shareable.
Ivan also played a key role in ensuring the March for Our Lives Oakland rally was a success and he is currently helping by using social media to mobilize young people around the Bay Area to advocate for gun reform.
Additionally, Ivan’s a Youth Ambassador for Litterati, an app which makes it easy for anyone to create an environmental impact, around the world. Ivan has done a lot of work throughout the Oakland community especially, while using social media to propel the projects he is working on. Ivan, overall, wants to make the world a better place so that marginalized communities, like the queer community, feel safe and included.
“I am beyond thankful for my community to have chosen me to be their Youth Grand Marshal for this years Oakland Pride,” Ivan Garcia said. “This title is one that comes with great appreciation attached to it, especially for the Oakland community as they have instilled so much trust and faith in me… and it makes me extremely happy.”
Ivan continued by saying that, “There was a time where I did not feel comfortable with who I was, a time where I would critically criticize every decision I made. For that exact reason, we need to make sure that everyone in our community feels uplifted and empowered, especially those who are most often marginalized in our society.”
Ivan Garcia is 2018 Youth Grand Marshall in Oakland Pride 2018. Congratulations, Ivan!
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Diageo Official Spirits Sponsor Of The National Football League
- 2022 Honda CIVIC Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 45605
- 2022 Honda CIVIC Sale Price Lease Bay Area Oakland Alameda Hayward Fremont San Leandro CA 45607
- Riding The Craziest Roller Coaster In England Tom Simons – Tommyinnit Reaction Video
- Loki Episode 2 : Response To Zennie Of Zennie62 By Joseph Armendariz
- President Biden Meeting Russian President Putin Is Our American Expression Of Democracy
- Juneteenth Is A National Holiday – My Complex Relationship With Juneteenth
- Review Of Marvel Studios Loki Episode 2 Review By Joseph Armendariz – Is Loki Evil?
- Loki Episode 2 : Did We See A Spiderman Logo Easter Egg By:Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Episode 2: Reaction And Commentary By Joseph Armendariz
- World Elder Abuse Awareness: Oakland Must Prioritize Getting Homeless Elderly Into Homes
- Kevin Durant Saves The Brooklyn Nets Season In Game Five Against The Bucks, By: Vinny Lospinuso
- Homeless Encampment Believed To Be Cause Of Fire In Irwindale CA By Joseph Armendariz
- Derek Carr Is A Good Example Of What Being A Raider Means – By Eric Pangilinan
- Las Vegas Raiders: Josh Jacob’s Derek Carr Mini Camp Press Conference My Take Joseph Armendariz
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore Because Of Cancel Culture -By Eric Pangilinan
- Charles Barkley Says He Not Having Fun Anymore
- What Will Be The Raiders Keys To Having A Winning Season: By Eric pangilinan
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Oakland A’s Presentation To Alameda County With City of Oakland
- Charles Barkley Slams Cancel Culture – By Eric Pangilinan