Ivan Garcia, Native Oaklander and youth activist, will be honored as the Youth Grand Marshal during Oakland Pride’s ninth annual pride parade this coming Sunday, September 9th, 2018.
Ivan was chosen as the Youth Grand Marshal for Oakland Pride 2018 for his work throughout the community, especially in his efforts to ensure that all young people throughout his hometown, Oakland, around the nation, and around the globe feel proud and comfortable with who they are.
Ivan Garcia is currently a sophomore at Head-Royce School in Oakland. He is committed to serving youth in the Oakland community and beyond to ensure that they have the support, and resources to be able to create a positive impact in the world. Before getting into the work he is currently doing, Ivan filmed and directed a class film titled “Dear Mr. Trump” with his entire 8th grade class following the 2016 Presidential Election. The video is reflective of his peers’ thoughts and hopes for at the time, President Elect, Donald Trump, and made it easy for his entire class to voice their opinions while making their voices easily shareable.
Ivan also played a key role in ensuring the March for Our Lives Oakland rally was a success and he is currently helping by using social media to mobilize young people around the Bay Area to advocate for gun reform.
Additionally, Ivan’s a Youth Ambassador for Litterati, an app which makes it easy for anyone to create an environmental impact, around the world. Ivan has done a lot of work throughout the Oakland community especially, while using social media to propel the projects he is working on. Ivan, overall, wants to make the world a better place so that marginalized communities, like the queer community, feel safe and included.
“I am beyond thankful for my community to have chosen me to be their Youth Grand Marshal for this years Oakland Pride,” Ivan Garcia said. “This title is one that comes with great appreciation attached to it, especially for the Oakland community as they have instilled so much trust and faith in me… and it makes me extremely happy.”
Ivan continued by saying that, “There was a time where I did not feel comfortable with who I was, a time where I would critically criticize every decision I made. For that exact reason, we need to make sure that everyone in our community feels uplifted and empowered, especially those who are most often marginalized in our society.”
Ivan Garcia is 2018 Youth Grand Marshall in Oakland Pride 2018. Congratulations, Ivan!
Related Posts (YARPP)
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders Josh Jacobs Was Not happy Losing Hudson And Jackson – By Eric Pangilinan
- Boxing Oscar De La Hoya Coming Out Of Retirement- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Derek Carr Supports Teammate Carl Nassib – By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Receiver John Brown Building Chemistry With QB Derek Carr
- John McAfee, Who Ran For President vs Donald Trump In 2015, Died In Spanish Prison
- Loki Lamentis Review Recap – By Jessica Dwyer
- Loki Episode 3: Does The Ark Reference Have Symbolic Meaning To Noah’s Ark? By Joseph Armendariz
- 2412 Kingsland Ave Oakland, CA 94601
- Bike Oakland/Alameda: Bay Trail & Bay Farm Island
- Oakland City Budget 2021-23: Oakland City Council President Bas Presents Amendments
- 2020 USWNT U.S. Olympics Women’s Soccer Team Announced June 23 2021
- IKEA in Atlanta Under Fire For Juneteenth Celebration Menu By Joseph Armendariz
- Loki Is Bisexual Says Director Kate Herron – But What Would Thor Say About That?
- My Cryptocurrency Portfolio Is Up Today, June 23 2021; Changed Its Composition. What Works For You?
- Howard Terminal Oakland Ballpark Project Clearing Up Errors In Reporting Regarding TIF, SB293 Skinner
- Loki Episode 3. Did This Episode Fail To Deliver? By Joseph Armendariz
- Kathleen Matz Takes Issue With My Oakland Juneteeth Shooting Vlog, Reflects A Basic Racial Problem
- The Race To Become New York Mayor- By Eric Pangilinan
- Raiders Top Draft Picks Continue To Shine In Training Camp – By Eric Pangilinan
- New York City Mayoral Primary Puts Spotlight On Ranked-Choice Voting
Oakland News Now Archives
- Dynamic Group to break ground on 16-unit AD facility – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Dutch wood pellet imports reached new high in 2020 – Bioenergy Insight Magazine
- Oakland City Council Members Join Vigil in Honor of Victims of Juneteenth Shooting – NBC Bay Area – California News Times
- Crowd gathers at Lake Merritt to mourn 22-year-old man killed in mass shooting – San Francisco Chronicle
- Bishop Barber of Oakland: Unmasked Massgoers Should Not Be ‘Policed’ – National Catholic Register
- Juneteenth Celebration at Lake Merritt in Oakland, Calif. – The Pioneer
- Athletics race to large, early lead, defeat Rangers 13-6 – Associated Press
- List of possible A’s ballpark sites grows, 3rd Las Vegas trip planned – Las Vegas Review-Journal
- Bay Briefing: Where Bay Area small businesses got help — and where they didn’t – San Francisco Chronicle
- Oakland crowd twerks on ambulance, blocks responders after deadly shooting – Fox News