Ivan Garcia, Native Oaklander and youth activist, will be honored as the Youth Grand Marshal during Oakland Pride’s ninth annual pride parade this coming Sunday, September 9th, 2018.
Ivan was chosen as the Youth Grand Marshal for Oakland Pride 2018 for his work throughout the community, especially in his efforts to ensure that all young people throughout his hometown, Oakland, around the nation, and around the globe feel proud and comfortable with who they are.
Ivan Garcia is currently a sophomore at Head-Royce School in Oakland. He is committed to serving youth in the Oakland community and beyond to ensure that they have the support, and resources to be able to create a positive impact in the world. Before getting into the work he is currently doing, Ivan filmed and directed a class film titled “Dear Mr. Trump” with his entire 8th grade class following the 2016 Presidential Election. The video is reflective of his peers’ thoughts and hopes for at the time, President Elect, Donald Trump, and made it easy for his entire class to voice their opinions while making their voices easily shareable.
Ivan also played a key role in ensuring the March for Our Lives Oakland rally was a success and he is currently helping by using social media to mobilize young people around the Bay Area to advocate for gun reform.
Additionally, Ivan’s a Youth Ambassador for Litterati, an app which makes it easy for anyone to create an environmental impact, around the world. Ivan has done a lot of work throughout the Oakland community especially, while using social media to propel the projects he is working on. Ivan, overall, wants to make the world a better place so that marginalized communities, like the queer community, feel safe and included.
“I am beyond thankful for my community to have chosen me to be their Youth Grand Marshal for this years Oakland Pride,” Ivan Garcia said. “This title is one that comes with great appreciation attached to it, especially for the Oakland community as they have instilled so much trust and faith in me… and it makes me extremely happy.”
Ivan continued by saying that, “There was a time where I did not feel comfortable with who I was, a time where I would critically criticize every decision I made. For that exact reason, we need to make sure that everyone in our community feels uplifted and empowered, especially those who are most often marginalized in our society.”
Ivan Garcia is 2018 Youth Grand Marshall in Oakland Pride 2018. Congratulations, Ivan!
Oakland News Now Related Posts
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Oakland Councilmember Sheng Thao And Oakland Mutual Aid Collective Will Distribute PPE Kits To Students May 11th
- Ca Governor Gavin Newsom’s $100 Billion Rental Assistance Plan Debut With Oakland Mayor Schaff
- Governor Newsom Unveils his Economic Recovery Package
- Tim Sullivan Of Louisville Courier Journal Ambush Marketing In-And-Out Burger On CNN?
- Rotary Club Of Oakland Features Gary Meyer On The Oscars May 06 2021
- Resurrection Oakland Church | May 9, 2021. 10am
- Sharing The Beauty Of Lake Merritt, Oakland, California – Mothers Day 2021
- Mothers Day Drum Circle – Lake Merritt, Oakland, California, 2021
- Bike Oakland & Alameda: Alameda, Bay Farm, and 66th Ave
- Port of Oakland Trade Boom: Wan Hai Lines Connects U.S. And Asia In 2021
- Oakland City Budget Forgets Cybersecurity As USA’s Largest Pipeline Gets Ransomwared
- Oakland City Council President Nikki Fortunato Bas On Mayor Schaaf’s Budget
- Oakland Adams Point Apartment Target Of Would Be Robber Caught-On-Camera Mother’s Day Evening
- Elon Musk Wario – Wario Is Elon Musk On SNL And Vinny Lospinuso Shares His Vlog Thoughts
- Star Trek’s Lt. Uhura Nichelle Nichols On Meeting President Obama
- Happy Mother’s Day, Today, Everyone! Enjoy Your Mom!
- Grand Lake Theater Marquee In Oakland Says Wait Almost Over, Reopens Late May 2021
- Fata Fut News: Today Top Trending News | 11 AM | 9 May 2021 – TV9
- New Trending Instagram Reels Videos | All Famous TikTok Star | Today Viral Insta Reels | Insta Reels
- Mount Zion Oakland Mother’s Day Church Service 2021