The Oakland Raiders play on Monday Night Football tonight and what some say is the last game in Oakland. But is it? Oakland’s At-Large Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan has this to say.
OAKLAND, CA – Oakland’s citywide Councilmember Rebecca Kaplan has been keeping up with the news about the Raiders deliberations about where to play in 2019. In recent days, there has been news coverage about discussions of Santa Clara, San Francisco, and even London. While the Raiders prepare to play today’s home game, there has been much debate about whether or not today would be the last Raiders football game in Oakland. While the stories are sensational, Kaplan would like to provide the information and reminder that Oakland has not rejected the possibility for the Raiders to play in Oakland in 2019. Even though the NFL and the team have decided and announced that the Raiders will be moving to Las Vegas in the year after that, the team could still choose to play in Oakland in 2019 – for their final year before moving to Las Vegas.
Said Kaplan: “The Raiders do not need to make this their last game at the Oakland Coliseum. They could choose to play their final season in Oakland in 2019, before the team moves to Las Vegas. For the team to instead choose to play in a location that is harder to access, with worse traffic problems, and less well prepared to host Raiders football, is an odd choice to punish Oakland, and their fans.”
The threat to play the 2019 season elsewhere appears to be an attempt to punish or threaten Oakland, for undertaking a lawsuit against the NFL, challenging the NFL’s wrongful relocation bribe system. In deciding to move the Oakland Raiders to Las Vegas, the NFL did not conduct a full and fair evaluation or decision-making process, but they did take hundreds of millions of dollars in exchange for allowing the relocation. The hundreds of millions of dollars that the NFL receives for allowing relocations are not to cover any actual costs, but instead are wrongful bribes they receive to influence their decision-making. They seek to pit the tax-payers of different cities against each other, even as all of our cities share common struggles providing for vital public needs, as the NFL billionaires try to squeeze out as much money as they can to line their own pockets all while violating their own bylaws and violating anti-trust laws.
Thus, it appears the Raiders are seeking to use their decision about where to play in 2019 to punish Oakland for challenging the misconduct of the NFL. But the issues are, and can be, separate. Oakland has not refused to allow the team to play in Oakland in 2019, despite their intention to move to Las Vegas, and an agreement for a 2019 lease can be made, separate from the issue of the NFL lawsuit.
Councilmember Kaplan wishes the team well, and continues to be open to an agreement that would allow them to play in 2019 in our Oakland location with its long history of Raiders football fandom, and location that is easy to access for fans.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- GIRL INJURED IN PEDESTRIAN CRASH ON 98TH AVENUE AND CHERRY STREET [OAKLAND, CA] October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021