“The Strongest Regional Economy in the World?”
Crisis management and containment in any emergency is an obvious necessity to guard against rampant expansion and to prevent widespread damage; it is therefore irresponsible for our Regional Agencies to remain in the background any longer while the Bay Area’s least adequately funded cities, Oakland in particular, must struggle to combat our Region’s growing homelessness crisis.
The frustration felt by anyone who cares at all about the Homeless=Housing Crisis can be alleviated, we know, via policy making on a much broader scale than any one city can provide all by itself, especially when it’s obvious that not a single city in the Bay Area has half enough resources to effectively deal with such a deep-seated problem, going back as it does for years, even decades.
And it is therefore unhelpful for any critic to suggest that this City Manager, or that Mayor, or any other single policymaker can, all on his or her own, find some sort of magic answer to resolving such a widespread problem, any more than an individual policymaker, even if on a national level, might be capable of singlehandedly staving off a plague or flood.
However, a Mayor or other authority can be deservedly criticized for waiting too long before sounding the alarm and demanding that some sort of Regional Task Force or special effort be duly assembled and immediately put to work, particularly when human life is threatened, children are at risk, human trafficking is rife, and filth and open sewage are creating a health crisis and health care emergency that we see accumulating right now on our streets, parks and common areas.
So how close to readjusting the efficacy of Bay Area Emergency Management are we, particularly with respect to this ever-escalating Homeless=Housing Crisis?
Although recently dubbed the “Strongest Regional Economy in the World,” anyone can see that our San Francisco Bay Area economy is, at heart, basically dysfunctional to have so many negatives weighing it down, with rampant inequity in the form of income disparity and housing likely being the most troublesome with which to duly contend forthrightly and without prejudice.
The ultra-high cost of continuing such mismanagement of our regional economy far outweighs the comparatively lower cost of fixing it, the same way that deferred maintenance must eventually show up on any balance sheet as a carried cost that no business or society can dare ignore for long, unless, of course, pretense and avoidance are woven deep into the fabric of such a system.
Given that the preponderance of homeless and out-of-work folks in the Bay Area are minority people,one of the first questions that needs to be addressed – if we’re truly serious about resolving the issue of Bay Area homelessness! – is how can the most pragmatic adjustments possible be made to our “Strongest Regional Economy” so that everyone can participate and retune this giant economic engine even finer, to the point of its greatest efficiency, where it’s an even better production machine than the past hundred or so years of economic evolution and constant improvisation has so far wrought?
Surely by now, with our unique depth of Bay Area economics professors, business executives, sociologists, labor experts, etc., we can assemble a region-wide table where a far better model of economic interactivity can be hammered out to supplant that with which we currently have to contend – especially if it’s costing everyone more in taxes to fumble along in such an illogical way?
Surely, we ought to leap at the chance of making such an obvious change in our regional approach, following on the enlightened example of our forefathers when faced with the economic encumbrances of, first, royal rule, and then, slightly less than a century later, the horrible and immoral weight of slavery.
Can our leaders rise to surmount the crisis confronting us all?
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- FDA supports Moderna COVID 19 booster shots for some MLB playoffs update October 16, 2021
- Jon Gruden Out, NBA Vaccine Policy, Fury v Wilder Reactions, MLB Playoffs October 16, 2021
- CHP Chase Ends With AC Transit Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- AC Transit plows into Oakland home after being hit by stolen car: CHP October 16, 2021
- Dusty Baker Compares Jose Altuve & Carlos Correa to Tom Brady & Rob Gronkowski After ALCS Game 1 Win October 16, 2021
- Pompsie Las Vegas Vlogger Gives Tour Of His $2000 Las Vegas Apartment October 16, 2021
- Mountain View Castro Street Closure Seen as Pandemic Perk October 16, 2021
- Smoke Effect Template | CSK Mass Status Black Screen Template | Luna Tech Tamil | New Templates October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs Astros Game 1 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 16, 2021
- 41 Points in 30 Minutes?! Stephen Curry Got Buckets on Warriors Ground | Oct. 15, 2021 October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Will Greg Olson Play Calling Produce 1st Quarter Results? By Joseph Armendariz October 16, 2021
- Stephen Curry with an AMAZING Dribbling Move! | Oct. 15, 2021 vs. Trail Blazers October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “Ziggy Stardust” October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “Pretty In Pink” October 15, 2021
- The Coverups @ The Uptown in Oakland, CA 9/30/18 “American Girl” October 15, 2021
- 49ers Friday: Bye Week Special October 15, 2021
- Steph & Curtis’s Pregame Routine is BACK! | #shorts October 15, 2021
- Peralta College Board Unanimously Extends Chancellor Jannett Jackson’s Contract October 15, 2021
- Witness Claims Oakland Police Searching for Wrong Car in Road Rage Homicide October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021