Dianne Feinstein lost to Kevin de León, Saturday.
Yep. The California State Senate’s current President pro tempore beat the legendary, former San Francisco Mayor, current U.S. Senator, and connection back to some of San Francisco’s most incredible moments of progressive social action. The media mentions that Senator Feinstein is 85 – years old, as if that’s some kind of handicap. But if the Cal State Dems selected de Leon over Feinstein for reasons of age, and not politics, than they should be more than ashamed of themselves, and really re-consider the kind of message they send to tbe public.
The California Democratic Party members who attended the event in Oakland (Thanks to the California Democratic Party!), chose to endorse State Senator de León over Feinstein, and with comments about Feinstein like “she’s out of touch,” or “spends too much time in Washington” or other adjectives that add up to a sideways reference to age. State Senator de Leon mistook the Oakland vote 65 percent of the 300 members as a mandate for him. In his statement released on Twitter, State Senator de Leon wrote
“Tonight we showed the world what a truly unified Democratic Party looks like. California Democrats are leading the call for a bold agenda in Washington that puts people before politics & focuses on building a future for our state that works for everyone.”
Tonight we showed the world what a truly unified Democratic Party looks like. California Democrats are leading the call for a bold agenda in Washington that puts people before politics & focuses on building a future for our state that works for everyone. @CA_Dem #unity https://t.co/rPqSd4HtqI
— Kevin de Leόn (@kdeleon) July 15, 2018
Earning the endorsement of so many leaders and activists of the @CA_Dem party isn't just an honor and a privilege; today's vote is a clear-eyed rejection of politics as usual in Washington, D.C. https://t.co/KDtec3YDu4
— Kevin de Leόn (@kdeleon) July 15, 2018
About the only thing Kevin got half-right in his statement was that the vote was a “rejection of politics as usual” in Washington D.C.. What he missed was that the party is under the impression that someone younger can stand up to President Trump. That the party thinks this way proves that it’s completely forgotten how to win in this national political battle for the soul of America. The last thing anyone should do in the Democratic Party is be seen kicking out the two-decade leader just because she has an approach that gains relationships and action in Washington DC. But that’s what happened – and a number of tweets reflect the dismay this blogger’s expressing.
I don’t understand CA Democratic Party thinking going against the DNC. & voters‼️ Anyone who follows @SenFeinstein on social media & calls into her office knows how hard she is working for us & she has seniority on these committees. Something @kdeleon doesn’t have❗️
— Dolly Madison (@dollymad1812) July 15, 2018
2.1 million voters more voted for @SenFeinstein You are not going anywhere. This was a stupid stunt.
— Stellaa (@stellaaaa) July 15, 2018
Some say that Senator Feinstein out of touch because they claim she opposes legal marijuana – well, she reversed her view on that some time ago. Ok, so they point to single-payer? Well, there’s no direct proof an entirely government ran medical system will lower our health care bills, separate from something like controlled subsidies and price controls.
Overall, we’re talking one of two litmus test issues – but then that doesn’t get to the real point of why Kevin de León would be better than Diane Feinstein, and it’s this reason: who the hell in the Senate knows Kevin de León over Dianne Feinstein? Moreover, what about Kevin de León makes him look anything like this massive voice for change, other than just reacting to Diane Feinstein? Have we as a party in California (yes I’m a card-carrying Democrat) so lost our ability to think strategically, that we’re just trying to put in some left-version of the ultra-right-wing? If that’s the case, we’ll lose the silent middle, and that’s where Senator Feinstein performs best.
The silent middle doesn’t discriminate by age. The silent middle doesn’t pick stupid fights. The silient middle reads in detail and understands complex issues. And it’s completely obvious that the California Democratic Party doesn’t represent the silent middle – and will thank Diane Feinstein for being the breakwater against its own ageism in the end.
Kevin de León won’t beat Dianne Feinstein, and the California Democratic Party should be thankful for that. The silent middle will put her back in Washington D.C. Kevin’s win would be the Democrats loss in Washington D.C. We don’t need new blood, we just need to appreciate the blood we have.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders: Running BackTrey Ragas Waived By The Raiders But Why? By Joseph Armendariz September 28, 2021
- Three earthquakes near Charleston, South Carolina September 28, 2021
- Home For Sale At 6690 Outlook Ave Oakland, CA 94605 September 28, 2021
- John Guillory Stars In What Happened to the Black People in Oakland? Part One September 28, 2021
- The Optimistic Oakland A’s Report – 09.26.21 September 28, 2021
- FISHER BLOCK PARTY – Oakland 2021 – 4K September 28, 2021
- Fisher block party (Oakland) 9/25/21 September 28, 2021
- Fisher Block Party Oakland Live Technomusic Experience September 28, 2021
- Britney Spears’ Dad Allegedly Bugged Her Phone and Home September 27, 2021
- Why Jamie Lynn Spears Isn’t As Innocent As She Claims September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquakes – Dr Wendy Rocks Explains Why They Happened Today September 27, 2021
- Parents deny involvement in Brian Laundrie’s disappearance as FBI continues search September 27, 2021
- Howard Terminal Update – Oakland Doesn’t Need Alameda County For TIF, Loren Taylor Town Hall Tonight September 27, 2021
- Coach Gruden Presser | 9.27.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 27, 2021
- Bay Area Transparency Clashes With Oakland Police At Public Works Annex, Again September 27, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Is QB Derek Carr Leading In The MVP Race Right Now? By Eric Pangilinan September 27, 2021
- Oakland Police YouTube Video – Meet Deputy Chief Drennon Lindsey September 27, 2021
- KTVU’s Dave Clark Reports Sideshow Draws 70 Spectators in Oakland September 27, 2021
- Oakland Dynamites (8U) Big Play Highlights – 09.25.21 September 27, 2021
- With Double Slaying Sunday, Oakland Marks 102 Homicides So Far in 2021 September 27, 2021
- Rapper R Kelly Guilty Of Racketeering Sex Trafficking And Assault Expected To Get Decades In Jail September 27, 2021
- South Carolina Earthquake Today | Magnitude 3.1 earthquake Near Summerville, North Charleston September 27, 2021
- Crete earthquake – Brit tourists terrified as mag-6 quake rocks Greek island September 27, 2021
- WorldView: Earthquake hits Greece; Volcano erupts in Spain’s Canary Islands September 27, 2021
- Magnitude 5.8 earthquake strikes the Greek island of Crete September 27, 2021