Update: “RingCentral Coliseum” but not “Ring Central Coliseum” is official after a three-year, $1 million-a-year deal was struck between the tech company and the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority.
This blog post on the RingCentral Coliseum naming rights deal was brought to you by “NHL Trump.” That’s the name of a person who’s become one of a regular set of people who watch my Zennie62 on YouTube videos.
A moment ago, NHL Trump wrote this comment in response to the Zennie62 vlog that RingCentral or Ring Central was the corporate name that was to be placed on the Oakland Coliseum Stadium: “Pretty sad they can’t get a Fortune 500 company to sponsor the stadium. They need a better sales and marketing staff.”
My response was “Uh, ORACLE! ORACLE ARENA!” referring to the other building that comprises the “Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Complex.” And then it occurred to me that the reason RingCentral or Ring Central was embarking on this naming rights deal was to stop their image problem.
A lot of people don’t know who or what RingCentral or Ring Central is, let alone why they go through so much trouble to run the “Ring” and the “Central” together.
So, in honor of my late friend of 40-years, Lars Frykman (who died in his sleep last year April 18th), I ask this: What the crap is that Ring-Whatever company about?
As it turns out, RingCentral is a publicly-traded, 2,500 employee firm based in Belmont, California founded by its current CEO Vlad Shmunis in 1999, and bills itself as the “leading provider of cloud-based communications and collaboration solutions for small business and enterprise companies.”
A quick check confirms what would appear to be just a marketing claim: Synergy Research Group, an independent market research firm, has written that RingCentral is, indeed, the premier cloud-based communication firm in the World, with greater revenue and market share than any other company in its business space. During its life, RingCentral went from bootstrapped to venture backed in 2006, to IPO in 2013.
Not too shabby for a firm NHL Trump on YouTube passed off as not “ a Fortune 500 company.”
RingCentral Was Born In The San Francisco Bay Area Tech Community
But, for me, RingCentral has a familiar, well, “ring” to it, and that’s because I’m starting to think, as I blog this, “RingCentral feels like a firm I encountered at a TechCrunch Disrup event, back in the early days of those tech gatherings.” So, I search, and…I was right.
RingCentral was presenting at TechCrunch Disrupt 2011 San Francisco, and I was there, as press for my second TC Distrupt. And if, memory serves, Vinod Khosla, the noted tech investor was the one who brought the firm to TC Disrupt 2011.
So, what’s the point of all of this?
We’re seeing latest chapter in the growth and maturation of a San Francisco Bay Area-borne tech company from bootstrap startup to VC-backed startup, to large and growing firm with its name on the Oakland Coliseum Stadium.
RingCentral is the prime example of the San Francisco Bay Area Tech Growth Machine at work. And I have to admit to being rather tickled that I was in the company’s orbit back then.
It feels a tad like this fellow I met at the 2006 San Francisco Vloggercon convention of what would come to be called “pioneer vloggers” who was talking about something called “Voiceover IP.” He then started a New York event called the “140 Conference” because the communications game-changing possibilities of Twitter facinated him. His name’s Jeff Pulver, and if you’re thinking, “Isn’t that the guy who started Vonage?”, you would be correct. The guy in this Zenne62 video blog…
And guess what? In 2007, Jeff named Vlad Shmunis and RingCentral to his “Pulver 100” group. That’s a kind of club of firms and people that have come to create advanced IP telephony technologies.
Small world – but I digress.
RingCentral’s story should be an inspiring one to note for tech entrepreneurs, and gives me new energy for Zennie62Media.
Congratulations to RingCentral. And, I say, before the Coliseum JPA Board does, “Welcome to Oakland.”
Everyone will know your name.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- GIRL INJURED IN PEDESTRIAN CRASH ON 98TH AVENUE AND CHERRY STREET [OAKLAND, CA] October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021