The discussion of energy in Oakland has become more policized than it should be. For example, the planned Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal is a multi-modal facility designed to serve the Pacific Rim’s demand, particularly India and China.
But, because of the rightful concern about climate change, combined with a lack of understanding of what makes energy and its impact on the environment, and and a ton of fake news, the OBOT is called a “coal factory” when it’s not. The City of Oakland, politically driven by a billionaire former coal industry entrepreneur who’s now an investor in San Francisco Bay Area real estate, has attempted to stop the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal (OBOT), despite a set of explicit Oakland-approved plans and permissions to build it going back almost 20 years.
What OBOT presents is Oakland and America’s best chance to capitalize on overseas demand for iron ore and coal – the two main elements in the production of steel.
China, followed by Japan and India, makeup the largest producers of steel in the World. Because of their collective, increasing demand for iron ore and coal, exports have increased – and to record levels for coal in America, while Australia’s iron ore and coal shipments have posted notable numbers, as well.
Right now, America has Mobile, Philadelphia, Baltimore, and New Orleans – all on or near the eastern United States – as its leading iron ore exporters. Adding Oakland to that list in the form of OBOT would produce the only west coast chance to generates jobs and eonomic development.
As Hellenic Shipping News reports:
“US coal exports totaled 104.9 million mt in 2018, up 19.3% from 2017 and the second highest total on record, according to US Census data out.
The 2018 total was second only to the 114.2 million mt exported in 2012.
US producers benefited in 2018 from strong international markets, which helped increase demand. US thermal coal typically trades at a discount to global benchmarks because of higher sulfur content, while US metallurgical coal is particularly valued for its coking properties. In addition, a number of US thermal coal producers benefited from a partial petcoke ban in India, which also stoked demand.
For comparison, the S&P Global Platts CIF ARA assessment, for thermal coal (basis 6,000 kcal/kg) delivered into Northern Europe averaged $91.69/mt in 2018 compared with $84.78/mt in 2017, while the Platts assessment for Premium Low Vol met coal FOB Australia averaged $207.11/mt in 2018 compared with $187.99/mt in 2017.
US met coal exports for the year totaled 55.8 million mt, up 11.3% from last year, and the highest total since 2014, when 57.2 million mt were exported. Met coal exports peaked in 2012 at 63.4 million mt.”
The Reality: Technology Can Deliver Iron Ore, Coal Exports Cleanly In OBOT
Lost in the anti-intellectual, and all-too simplistic left-right debate that’s come to surround OBOT is the fact that the developers are not “climate deniers” and their project brings the latest technology to bear on the problem of sending minerals from rail to ship, cheaply and cleanly. And perhaps that’s how we should think about the entire energy conservation: how to use technology to build facilities that bridge the gap between old energy opportunities and new age concerns.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- President Biden delivers remarks on his Build Back Better framework October 28, 2021
- By The Numbers | Bears vs 49ers: Week 8 | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Judge sets ground rules for Kyle Rittenhouse trial October 28, 2021
- NFL Week 8 Picks and Predictions | NFL Betting Preview for Week 8 | The Predictive Playbook October 28, 2021
- E-40 launches ‘Goon With The Spoon’ sausage line October 28, 2021
- NBA Picks and Predictions | Daily NBA Betting Preview | NBA Predictive Playbook for Oct 28 October 28, 2021
- Light Street Capital’s Kacher likes the ‘Netflix of wines’ October 28, 2021
- President Biden announces $1.75T spending plan, here’s what’s in it October 28, 2021
- Yum! Brands CEO: The whole world is opening up to KFC October 28, 2021
- Apex Legends: Escape – Everything To Know About Season 11 October 28, 2021
- 2023 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 | 670 HP | 5.5-liter DOHC V8 | Starting Price $90,000 USD October 28, 2021
- How could the congressional spending framework impact big tech? October 28, 2021
- Turk on People Telling Vlad He Shouldn’t Be Allowed to Ask Certain Questions (Part 18) October 28, 2021
- Here’s what to expect from Amazon, Apple earnings October 28, 2021
- DOJ Settles Lawsuits With Families Of Charleston Church Shooting October 28, 2021
- Live Sports Betting Picks 10/28/21 – NFL, NBA, CFB, NHL Picks – Betting Advice October 28, 2021
- Nick Sirianni: Consistency is Key Heading into Week 8 vs. Lions | Eagles One-On-one October 28, 2021
- J.C. Jackson: Keenan Allen is ‘one of the top receivers in the game’ | Press Conference October 28, 2021
- Biden on spending bill framework: Nobody got everything they wanted October 28, 2021
- Biden unveils details of $1.75 trillion spending plan October 28, 2021
- Sean Desai: ‘There’s some things we can build on’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Affirm CEO on partnership with American Airlines that allows customers to buy now and pay later October 28, 2021
- Behind the Scenes at Stephen Curry’s FIRST NBA Game | #shorts October 28, 2021
- 1 pound ‘miracle’ baby inspires mom to become a NICU nurse l GMA October 28, 2021
- Muni changes services due to vaccine policy worker shortage October 28, 2021
- What to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings report after the bell October 28, 2021
- Is Kyler Murray the MVP? October 28, 2021
- Eagles Prepare for Week 8 vs. Lions | Eagles Live Practice October 28, 2021
- Winners & Losers October 28, 2021
- Chris Tabor: Media Availability | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Intel CEO on company’s transformation strategy October 28, 2021
- Thursday Free Betting Picks & TNF Predictions – 10/28/21 l Picks & Parlays October 28, 2021
- Oakland Inspector General Public Forum October 28, 2021
- Chiefs Trade Rumors On Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Marvin Jones & Mike Hughes | NFL Trade Deadline October 28, 2021
- Bill Lazor: ‘We’ve got to be better in every aspect of the passing game’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Social Spending Framework As ‘Game Changer For Families’ October 28, 2021
- Benzino on His Daughter Coi Leray Being a Bigger Rapper than Him (Part 16) October 28, 2021
- Is Derrick Henry One of the BEST RBs Ever? October 28, 2021
- Fabio Silva and Ruben Neves CAN’T BELIEVE their FIFA Ratings | Uncut October 28, 2021
- Biden delivers remarks before he travels to Italy for the G20 leader summit October 28, 2021