Oakland – Insight Terminal Solutions has issued yet another update on the progress of its Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal Project. But, first, what is Insight Terminal Solutions and what is the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal Project?
Insight Terminal Solutions Is The Developer Of The Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal Project
According to its website, Insight Terminal Solutions, of which John Siegel is CEO, is…
Insight Terminal Solutions (ITS) is a Oakland, CA based company who will provide world class terminal and stevedoring services at the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal (OBOT) for a variety of bulk agriculture and mineral commodities, utilizing state-of-the-art environmental practices and procedures.
Insight Terminal Solutions is currently conducting project feasibility and due diligence. Conceptual project design is currently underway. Operations are projected to start in 2018. ITS will operate the terminal under a 66 year lease at a site located within the area known as the “West Gateway Area” of the westernmost portion of the former Oakland Army Base.
The terminal will be designed, built and operated to meet and/or exceed CEQA and all City of Oakland Former Oakland Army Base approvals with the two state-of-the-art enclosed material handling and delivery systems fully enclosed covered storage, dust collection systems.
The terminal will be designed to handle an annual throughput of 9,500,000 metric tons of bulk agriculture and mineral commodities and receive up to three unit trains of 114 covered rail cars per day through covered rapid discharge rail car unloading stations rail service will be provided by Union Pacific and Burlington Northern Santa Fe in combination with Oakland Global Rail Enterprise (OGRE) who will provide last mile local rail services.
The terminal will be designed to accommodate Handymax (30,000 tons) to Capesize (130,000 tons) vessels utilizing two state-of-the-art fully enclosed shiploaders.
As for what the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal is, it’s described as a “bulk terminal,” and …
Bulk terminal activities at the (Oakland Army Base) West Gateway have been a key component of the Oakland Global project since its inception, and starting in 2011, OBOT has been in discussion with potential bulk terminal operators. Concurrent with publication of the February 2012 Oakland Global Master Plan and the May 2012 Oakland Global CEQA Initial Study/Addendum, OBOT initiated negotiations with potential terminal operators including Kinder Morgan, Metro Ports, and Terminal Logistics Solutions. In 2018, OBOT entered into an agreement with Insight Terminal Solutions (ITS) for the sublease and operations of West Gateway bulk terminal activities.
UPDATE On Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal Progress
Insight Terminal Solutions, and co-developer Phil Tagami of California Capital Group, have been the unwitting victims of a political attack waged by the City of Oakland, and over a bogus claim that Oakland did not know that coal was to be one of the commodities shipped through the Oakland Global Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal until 2015.
In point of fact, the City of Oakland was not only aware that coal was to be one of the commodities way before 2015, but paid for a market study called the TIOGA Report, and done in 2009, to assess the market potential for coal through what came to be called the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal.
That report set up a kind of end goal for Mr. Tagami – one that the City of Oakland privately believed he would not meet: to secure a capable and experienced partner that would establish coal shipment contracts through the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal.
But Mr. Tagami did just that, twice. The first partner did not want to meet Phil’s stringent environmental requirements, including the use of covered rail cars. That led him to the partnership with Insight Terminal Solutions that exists today.
The City of Oakland has twice tried to block Insight Terminal Solutions and Phil Tagami from building the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal as long as coal was a commodity. On both cases, the Federal Court ruled the City of Oakland’s actions were not legal.
As to what’s driving Oakland’s moves, one can look to the political involvement of now Presidential Candidate Tom Steyer, who notably has given over a half-million dollars to the political interests of Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf.
Steyer’s appearance in the Oakland Political Scene can be matched to when the City of Oakland turned against the Oakland Bulk and Oversized Terminal project.
As of now, ITS and Mr. Tagami are waiting for the next round of legal hearings to start.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Imagine the Gateway at UC Berkeley October 16, 2021