ONN – Howard Terminal Update: Toward A Oakland Community Revitalization And Investment Authority – video made by the YouTube channel in the video’s upper left hand corner.
Howard Terminal Update: Toward A Oakland Community Revitalization And Investment Authority
In the case of working with the Oakland A’s to develop The Oakland Athletics Howard Terminal Ballpark, City of Oakland Staff and Consultants have pushed a community investment approach called Enhanced Infrastructure Financing Districts, or EIFDs. The problem with that approach, as revealed on several occasions now, is that it does not yield the revenue required to pay for the community plan that took over a year to form. Obviously, EIFDs are not the best fit for Oakland, even as City Staff presents the approach as if it’s the only option.
It’s not. The California Community Revitalization And Invesment Authority Act presents another option.
The law reads this way:
This bill would authorize certain local agencies to form a community revitalization authority (authority) within a community revitalization and investment area, as defined, to carry out provisions of the Community Redevelopment Law in that area for purposes related to, among other things, infrastructure, affordable housing, and economic revitalization. The bill would provide for the financing of these activities by, among other things, the issuance of bonds serviced by tax increment revenues, and would require the authority to adopt a community revitalization plan for the community revitalization and investment area that includes elements describing and governing revitalization activities. The bill would also provide for periodic audits of the authority with respect to affordable housing, conducted as provided by the Controller, and for annual public reports by the authority as well as periodic proceedings for the consideration of public protests.
The Community Revitalization And Invesment Authority Act was signed into law in 2015 and was called AB2280. According to the League of California Cities:
A) Community Revitalization and Investment Authorities (CRIA) Act, was enacted into law by AB 2 (Alejo and E. Garcia, Chapter 319, Statutes of 2015), which authorized the revitalization of disadvantaged communities through planning and financing infrastructure improvements and upgrades; economic development activities; and affordable housing via tax increment financing based, in part, on the former community redevelopment law. AB 24921 (Alejo and E. Garcia), Chapter 524, Statutes of 2016, made several additional improvements to CRIA law.
B) A CRIA is a public agency separate from the city, county, or city and county that created it; and deemed to be an “agency” for purposes of receiving property tax increment pursuant to Article XVI, section 16(b) of the Constitution. Any taxing entity within the Area (except for a school district) may choose to allocate some or all its share of tax increment funds to the CRIA. The CRIA may issue bonds backed by property tax increment revenues.
C) A Community Revitalization and Investment Authority (CRIA) can be created in the following three locations:
1. Areas where not less than 80% of the land contains any combination of census tracts or census block groups meet both of these conditions: (i) an annual median household income that is less than 80% of the statewide, citywide or countywide annual median income; and (ii) three of four following conditions:
2. Areas with an unemployment rate at least 3 percentage points higher than the statewide average annual unemployment rate median.
3. Areas with crime rates, at least 5 percent higher than statewide average crime rate for violent or property crime offenses, as defined by the Criminal Justice Statistics Center within the Department of Justice, when data is available on the Attorney General’s Internet Web site.
4. Areas with deteriorated or inadequate infrastructure, and..
5. Deteriorated commercial or residential structures
The “flatlands” of Oakland qualifies for areas to be designated by an Oakland Community Revitalization and Investment Authority. The OCRIA could designate more than one TIF zone or as we called them, project areas: in West Oakland, Howard Terminal, Chinatown, and East Oakland. And the nice aspect of this is there’s no legal limit on how TIF is spent, save for the directive of causing affordable housing to be built as part of a plan. That’s much like the old redevelopment agency of Oakland.
This is something Oakland can do right now: indeed, the Howard Terminal Community Meetings have set the platform for the OCRIA to work there. Meanwhile the OCRIA can also focus on West Oakland, Chinatown, and East Oakland. TIF revenue can be shared from one area to another TIF area as long as that’s spelled out in the plan.
Also the new OCRIA would negotiate with the taxing agencies and unlike the Enhanced Infrastructure Financing Districts, could use all of the base year and increment tax revenue for the project area.
Stay tuned for more on this #Oakland #HowardTerminal
Note from Zennie62Media and OaklandNewsNow.com : this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media , Inc. mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. This is a major part of Zennie62Media , Inc.’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. What we call “The Third Wave of Media”. The uploaded video is from a YouTube channel. When the video is “liked” by Zennie62 YouTube, then it is automatically uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-created and owned social media pages. The overall objective here, on top of our is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours – is the use of the existing YouTube social graph on any subject in the World. Now, news is reported with a smartphone and also by promoting current content on YouTube: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary, or having a camera crew to shoot what is already on YouTube. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media content news production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- MLB Playoff Predictions & NBA Bets Today From Joe Osborne October 20, 2021
- NBA Best Bets for Wednesday and Thursday | Today & Tomorrow Picks (10.20 & 10.21.21) October 20, 2021
- Major League Baseball Betting | MLB Picks | PSR MLB Closing Time – Tuesday, October 19th October 20, 2021
- Raiders Trade Rumors: 10 Players The Las Vegas Raiders Should Targets Before 2021 NFL Trade Deadline October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Picks and Predictions | Rams vs Lions Betting Preview | Big Game Breakdown October 20, 2021
- Source: Raiders Sign Pro Bowl CB Desmond Trufant October 20, 2021
- 2021 NBA Player Prop Bets – October 20 October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 TOP Picks | Best Bets & Locks to Win | VegasOdds October 20, 2021
- Raiders News : Raiders Signed CB Desmond Trufant October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Picks Against the Spread, Best Bets, Super Contest predictions 2021 October 20, 2021
- NBA Pick – 76ers vs Pelicans Prediction, 10/20/2021, Best Bet Today, Tips & Odds | Docs Sports October 20, 2021
- NBA Pick – Nuggets vs Suns Prediction, 10/20/2021, Best Bet Today, Tips & Odds | Docs Sports October 20, 2021
- The 49ers Should Trade Jimmy Garoppolo to the Cleveland Browns for Odell Beckham Jr. October 20, 2021
- Tuesday With Shoeb: The State of 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In-N-Out closes indoor dining, refuses to become the ‘vaccination police’ October 20, 2021
- Orlando Magic VS San Antonio Spurs 10/20/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 20, 2021
- NFL Week 7 Predictions For Every Game | Picks, Predictions, & Betting Odds October 20, 2021
- Braves vs. Dodgers NLCS Game 3 Highlights (10/19/21) | MLB Highlights October 20, 2021
- NHL Highlights | Sharks vs. Canadiens – Oct. 19, 2021 October 20, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Philadelphia Eagles Picks, Predictions and Odds | NFL Week 7 Preview | Oct 24 October 20, 2021
- Dodgers’ Corey Seager launches a 2-run shot before there’s in out in NLCS Game 3! October 20, 2021
- Walgreens & San Francisco Disagree On Store Closings – Pete Buttigieg Gets On CNN And Says Nothing October 20, 2021
- NFL Picks – Houston Texans vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/24/2021 Week 7 NFL Best Bet Today October 20, 2021
- Howard Terminal Ballpark Update: Why Oakland Mayor Schaaf Wants Alameda County October 26 Meeting October 20, 2021
- Good Morning Football LIVE 10/20/2021 | NFL Trade Rumos and News | GMFB on NFL Network October 20, 2021
- Sony Won’t Be at InfoComm but It Has Plenty of New Products October 20, 2021
- Oklahoma City Thunder VS Utah Jazz 10/20/21 Free NBA Picks And Prediction NBA Betting Tips October 20, 2021
- San Francisco In-N-Out Shut Down For Violating Covid-19 Health Order October 20, 2021
- NBA Betting Today – Picks + Predictions October 20, 2021
- Live Sports Betting Picks 10/20/21 – NBA, MLB, CFB, NHL Picks – Betting Advice October 20, 2021
- FREE Basketball 10/20/21 Picks and Predictions Today NBA Betting Tips and Analysis October 20, 2021
- Prosecutors say Oakland murder suspect ran over woman who vandalized his car October 20, 2021