The man in the video above is Andrés López, Community Manager with co-working startup HIVEN.
While I was visiting Perch, a local Oakland Adams Point cafe, a man walked around handing out cards to an event. When he came over, I said “Want to vlog it? I’ll put it out on my network.” So, he did.
What Mr. López is promoting is a startup company meetup that’s to occur in Empowerment Park next to Lake Merritt on Thursday, June 21 at 7 PM. It’s the startups first meetup – an evening, outdoor gathering to meet HIVEN co-workers and hosts.
That’s all well and good, but what’s HIVEN?
If you’ve never heard of HIVEN, it’s OK. it’s a Berkeley-based startup that bills itself as “a community marketplace for micro-renting home workspaces.” HIVEN is so new that it was a 2018 UC Berkeley Pitch Fest Finalist. It’s so new that it has no write-up in any tech or social media blog. It’s so new that you have to go on a detailed keyword search for information about it. That’s what this blogger did.
According to Linkedin HIVEN consists of the following people:
– Founder and CEO Christelle Rohaut
– COO Sundar Subramanian
– Software Developer Soroush Kalantari
– Designer / Community Manager Andres Lopez
– Research Assistant In Machine Learning Antoine Dedieu
How the group is paying itself if beyond me at this time, because I’ve not yet been able to find evidence that HIVEN was funded. That doesn’t mean it didn’t receive angel funding or “friends and family” funding, however.
As it turns out, both Christelle and I, who’ve not yet met, gained our Masters of City Planning degrees from Cal – UC Berkeley College of Environmental Design. But with one difference: I graduated in 1987, she just walked this year.
But’s it quite apparent Ms. Rohaut used her time studing cities to come to the idea that became HIVEN. Under her Linkedin profile on her position as CEO of HIVEN, Christelle stats with “At hīven, we are passionate about making cities more affordable for local residents and more flexible for local workers. For the hundreds of millions of freelancers and entrepreneurs out there: forget noisy coffee shops, long commute, a boring desk, or feeling isolated alone at home. Hīven creates the future of work with you, by building the largest network of home-based coworking communities. Every home, every coworker, every day are unique.”
Here’s the actual pitch of HIVEN that Ms. Rohaut gave on May 11th 2018 for the UC Berkeley Pitch Fest:
What I gathered from Christelle’s speech is that HIVEN sees the home – yours or mine – as a unused part of the co-working marketplace. There’s only 1 million square feet of co-working space in San Francisco, but 36 million square feet of co-working space demand, she estimates in her presentation.
“We are a double-sided marketplace,” Rohaut said “matching host and guest.” The host has a wifi-equipped space; the guest needs the space and is wlling to pay a smell fee to use it. HIVEN also matches co-workers by profession.
As to how HIVEN finds people to become the marketplace, Rohaut said they were handing out cards at cafes and working with the Freelancers Network in Oakland. Which explains how Lopez came to visit Perch, which happens to be across the street from the site of HIVEN’s first major meeting event in Empowerment Park.
So, if you have space in your home that you think would be great for coworkers to use, or if you’re looking for a cheap neighborhood coworking club, check out HIVEN’s meetup this Thursday in Oakland at Lake Merritt’s Empowerment Park 462 Bellevue Ave – across the street from Ahn’s Burgers.
You have to sign up to attend the party (Or do you? It’s in a public park, not a ballroom, so..) so follow this link to get an Eventbrite ticket: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/hiven-oakland-social-meet-the-community-tickets-46749723682
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Saints At Panthers – Will Jameis Winston Run Sean Payton’s Mike Martz Passing Approach? September 19, 2021
- Raiders vs Steelers Game Betting Prediction – Take Pittsburgh Give Points To Las Vegas September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts 8th Grade Promotion 2021 September 19, 2021
- Oakland School For The Arts Class 2021 Graduation September 19, 2021
- Twenty-Fourth Sunday in Ordinary Time – Mass at Our Lady of Lourdes – Oakland – September 12th, 2021 September 19, 2021
- Best Nursing Schools in Oakland, California, United States September 19, 2021
- #1 Alabama vs #11 Florida: Extended Highlights | CBS Sports HQ September 19, 2021
- Nick Saban talks Alabama’s win vs. Florida | ESPN College Football September 19, 2021
- UCLA vs. Fresno State Postgame Press Conference After Upset Loss To Fresno State September 19, 2021
- Fresno State stuns No. 13 UCLA after an unforgettable fourth quarter September 19, 2021
- Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member on “Democracy and Defending our Civil Rights” September 19, 2021
- Berkeley’s Homeless Crisis with Ben Bartlett Berkeley City Council Member September 19, 2021
- Supervisor Damon Connolly Marin County Expresses Support For The LGBTQ Community September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly wishes CMCM a Happy 10th Anniversary! September 19, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor On Priced Out Podcast September 19, 2021
- SoFi Stadium Tour in Los Angeles: Home of the Rams and Chargers September 19, 2021
- 1783 11th Street Oakland, CA 94607-1435 September 19, 2021
- Los Angeles Angels vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 18, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB 2021 September 19, 2021
- What’s New In iPhone 13 and iPhone 13 Pro By iJustine September 19, 2021
- Breaking Vegas News – Las Vegas Raiders Ticket Prices Crash – Vaccine Rules to Blame? September 19, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Promote Running Back Trey Ragas To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan September 18, 2021
- Zennie62 NFL 2021 Season Game Predictions For Week 2 – Livestream Show September 18, 2021
- Neighborhood Tours in Fayetteville GA off Goza Rd September 18, 2021
- 384 Bellevue Ave Home For Sale In Adams Point, Lake Merritt, Oakland September 18, 2021
- Inspiration4 Dragon Side Hatch Open, Crew Comes Out After Splashdown September 18, 2021