ONN – Henry Gardner To Replace Scott McKibben Who Resigned As Oakland Coliseum JPA ED
Henry Gardner, the popular former Oakland City Manager and current Interim Richmond City Manager, has been named as the person who will replace Scott McKibben at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority (Coliseum JPA).
Henry Gardner comes to the Coliseum JPA with a long and distinguished list of accomplishments in public sector management. From 1983 to 1991, Gardner was Oakland’s City Manager and directed creation of some of the most innovative approaches ever used in public finance, including, most-notably, the sale-leaseback. Henry then went on to work for the management consulting firm of Gardner, Underwood & Bacon, which was later acquired by Loop Capital Markets of Chicago; Henry was a Managing Director at Loop. The full list of Mr. Gardner’s accomplishments can be read here at the Institute for Local Government web page. But, all of Henry’s experience isn’t focused on the business of sports, save for the deal to bring the Oakland Raiders back to Oakland in 1995.
I am told that with Henry’s placement into the Coliseum JPA, the stadium authority organization will cease to exist when the Oakland A’s deal is done. That means that Gardner’s objective will not be to find new sports activities for the Coliseum Complex, unlike what Scott was doing.
It may also mean the death of the deal that was being assembled to bring the Indoor Football League to Oakland, but there’s no confirmation on that yet. That work to get Roy Choi, the IFL investor and team owner, into Oakland was all Scott’s doing – even to the point of taking Choi to a Warriors NBA Finals Game.
But, in total, it’s a sad series of days, the last four: they saw a process that signals the death of pro sports in Oakland. At least for now.
Oakland’s collective over-politicization of the business of sports, combined with an extremely parochial approach that focused more on personalities like team owners rather than economic development industrial strategy has lead to this moment. That is something I have lived as Oakland Super Bowl Bid architect, and I remember now former Oakland Mayor Elihu Harris telling me to “use that brain on yourself, because no one (in Oakland) cares.”
What happened to Scott McKibben is more proof of that.
What About The City of Oakland Lawsuit Against The Raiders and The NFL?
Some may wonder what impact, if any, this has on The City of Oakland lawsuit against The Oakland Raiders and The NFL with respect to the Las Vegas Relocation? Technically, none, and because the Coliseum JPA is not an official party to the lawsuit as of this writing (though it should be). But Gardner’s appointment to replace McKibben sends a signal that the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda plans to wind-down the Coliseum JPA – and in doing so, may change that status (though that’s speculation by this vlogger).
If the City were to prevail in the lawsuit, the award would be monetary damages. The City of Oakland has not shown a true interest in winning ownership of the Raiders brand, and this action sends yet another sign that Oakland is killing its own involvement in professional sports. What the A’s are working on in the form of the new stadium at Howard Terminal is a private affair with public backing, and thus, has a better chance of success given Oakland government’s track record.
Oakland Has Never Seen Sports As Economic Development
Unlike Atlanta, Chicago, Nashville, Los Angeles, Phoenix, Denver, San Jose, Sacramento, New York, and now Las Vegas, Oakland has never officially seen sports as economic development. In 2000, I told Alan Byrd of the Orlando Business Journal that “We’re spending a long time educating people that sports is economic development,” in the formation of the Oakland Super Bowl Bid. That was 19 years ago, and Oakland’s still not received that message, whereas other cities around it have.
With the U.S. Supreme Court approving sports betting, Oakland is pushing itself away from forming jobs at the Oakland Coliseum for people who don’t have a tech background. Thus provides more evidence that Oakland has no real comprehensive program to end its large homeless problem; accessible jobs that pay a good wage should be seen as high a priority as affordable housing. The average stadium job pays $68,000 a year when stadium management positions (normally ignored in stadium wage estimates) are considered – just below the 2017 California Median Income of 71,805. So, one can’t argue that stadium jobs don’t pay a middle class wage – they do.
And for those who work jobs at the Coliseum which pay less than that, some were able to tie together work at a Raiders game and a Warriors game, and come away with a comfortable income. At least that was what a Coliseum stadium concession worker told me during a Raiders game.
Oakland, once again, is shooting itself in the foot. No one in the City of Oakland should make fun of Oakland Raiders Wide Receiver Antonio Brown.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Will Greg Olson Be A Better Play Caller Then Jon Gruden? By Eric Pangilinan October 15, 2021
- Fentanyl Alert!!! Looks Like Chewing Gum by Derrick Soo October 15, 2021
- Video of suspect vehicle in Oakland road rage shooting that left teen dead October 15, 2021
- 245 Perkins St 34 Oakland, CA 94610 October 15, 2021
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Thursday Meeting, October 7th 2021. October 15, 2021
- Why I’m leaving Oakland, California. Pt.1 October 15, 2021
- Downs Oakland Sunday Service 10.17.21 October 15, 2021
- 5800 Nottingham Dr Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 15, 2021
- Raiders Rumors Mailbag: Hire Jack Del Rio As Next Raiders Head Coach? Start Jimmy Morrissey? October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Rumors: Xavien Howard Trade? Nick Bosa, Deebo Samuel Contract Extension| Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Latest San Francisco 49ers News With Matt Maiocco October 15, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Giants NLDS Game 5 Highlights (10/14/21) | MLB Highlights October 15, 2021
- NFL News: Leaked Emails Link NFL Attorney Jeff Pash To Bruce Allen Cover Up By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- Who will be the next Raiders coach in Week 6? | NFL NEWS TODAY October 15, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders vs Denver Broncos Game Preview October 15, 2021
- San Francisco 49ers Morning Show: The Positives With The Team October 15, 2021
- Stephen Schear Runs For Mayor Of Oakland, But Who The Hell Is He? October 15, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, NFL, CFB, NHL, WNBA Finals, Golf, NASCAR, NBA PF Ranks, News & Notes, Best Bet/Fab 5 October 15, 2021
- 49ers Trade Rumors: Trade For Brandin Cooks, Greedy Williams? Asante Samuel Jr Draft MISS | Mailbag October 15, 2021
- Damon Connolly Marin County Supervisor Runs For California Assembly Seat October 15, 2021
- Giants-Dodgers 2021 Highlights (NLDS Game 5 preview – IT ALL COMES DOWN TO TONIGHT!) October 15, 2021
- While LA Dodgers Spoil SF Giants MLB Playoffs Party, Oakland Gets Idea Of A’s At Howard Terminal October 15, 2021
- Giants vs Dodgers Game 5 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 15, 2021
- The adventure of the lake Merritt light show 2021 October 15, 2021
- Oakland Schools Leroy Gaines: OUSD Announces Arrival of New Network 4 Superintendent October 15, 2021
- Los Angeles Dodgers: Dodgers Defeat Giants Under Controverial Check Swing By Joseph Armendariz October 15, 2021
- XO Sports Talk Eps. 24 MLB Playoffs, NCAA Football WNBA Playoffs, NFL Week 5 & 6 picks, Boxing October 15, 2021
- The Oakland Police Department Needs Your Help Solving A Homicide By IDing This Car October 15, 2021
- Raiders Press Conference Talk, Mike Mayock takes Control October 14, 2021
- The Good News About 49ers QB Trey Lance’s Left Knee Sprain October 14, 2021