Brett Kavanaugh, the choice of President Trump to replace the late Antonin Scalia, went through a bruising confirmation hearing process that, because of the Republican voting advantage, will be for naught. Still, the effort to communicate the concern that Kavanaugh’s tone-deaf with respect to civil rights, has commenced.
Vanita Gupta, president and CEO of The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights, issued the following statement on the conclusion of Brett Kavanaugh’s Supreme Court confirmation hearing:
“At the end of these four days, one thing is crystal clear—Brett Kavanaugh must not be confirmed to the Supreme Court. He offered no assurance that his extreme views wouldn’t follow him to the highest court in the land, and he refused to prove that he would be an independent check on the president who nominated him.
“Kavanaugh offered no hope that he would be a neutral and fair-minded justice committed to civil and human rights, protections for those with pre-existing conditions, the ability of women to control their own bodies, the rights of LGBTQ people, voting rights, labor rights, immigrant rights, disability rights, environmental protection, and the separation of powers. Moreover, some of his statements and recently disclosed writings show problematic inconsistencies and call into question the veracity of his previous sworn testimony before Congress.
“Kavanaugh unwillingness to speak truthfully reinforces the need for the Senate and the public to access his Bush White House records, most of which continue to be blocked by a coordinated partisan effort to hide the nominee’s record. And when some senators challenged the unprecedented secrecy behind this nomination and demanded transparency, they were chastised and threatened with expulsion. Senators and the American people are entitled to review the records of anyone considered for a lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.
“All senators must take seriously their constitutional advice and consent role in this process and reject this nomination.”
For more information about the groundswell of opposition to Kavanaugh’s confirmation, please visit saveSCOTUS.org.
The Leadership Conference on Civil and Human Rights is a coalition charged by its diverse membership of more than 200 national organizations to promote and protect the rights of all persons in the United States. The Leadership Conference works toward an America as good as its ideals. For more information on The Leadership Conference and its member organizations, visit www.civilrights.org.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021
- Former Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Michael Baden On Gabby Petito’s Autopsy Findings September 22, 2021
- Oakland Athletics Unveil 2022 Season Ticket Plans and Pricing by Richard Haick September 22, 2021
- Boxing Canelo Alvarez And Caleb Plant Heated Press Conference By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- I was hit COVID Delta in East Oakland Homeless Encampment by Derrick Soo September 22, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders QB Derek Carr With A New Haircut Ready To Play In Week Three By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Kourtney Kardashian & Megan Fox Seductively Pose In Lingerie September 22, 2021
- Coach Gruden, Derek Carr, K.J. Wright and Daniel Carlson Presser – 9.22.21 | Las Vegas Raiders | NFL September 22, 2021
- Zennie62Media Credentialed For CES 2022 Las Vegas And For 12th Year In A Row September 22, 2021
- Daniel Craig Said James Bond Should Not Be A Woman – Here’s Why He’s Right September 22, 2021
- Thomas Espinosa – Oakland Public Ethics Commission Fines Him $309,600 – Here’s Why September 22, 2021
- Marin Supervisor Damon Connolly Stands Up for Immigrant Justice September 22, 2021
- YouTube Studio Was Down Today, Is Back Up Now – What Happened To Cause It? September 22, 2021