The organization or group called “Freedom From Facebook” announced that if you’re in Menlo Park, California, today, look up to the skies. Group representatives say the following in a communication to Zennie62Media:
“Freedom From Facebook launched a new multifaceted campaign to target company shareholders and employees and to highlight the need for the Federal Trade Commission to break up Facebook’s monopoly. Freedom From Facebook is flying a plane with a banner reading “You Broke Democracy FreedomFromFB.com” over the meeting at Facebook’s Menlo Park, California office.
There will also be a new Freedom From Facebook digital ad campaign targeting the meeting and Facebook’s offices around the country. The ad called ‘Don’t Get Zucked,’ features Mark Zuckerberg’s real Instant Messenger transcripts from when he called Facebook users “dumb f**ks” for sharing their personal information.
Additionally, Freedom From Facebook coalition member SumOfUs is a Facebook shareholder and:
1. SumOfUs members sent over 1,500 emails to 212 pension funds, urging them to vote ‘WITHHOLD” on Zuckerberg’s appointment, and in support of Proposals 4 and 6;
2. Filed an exempt solicitation letter calling on shareholders to vote “WITHHOLD” on Mark Zuckerberg’s appointment to the board, a recommendation shared by renowned proxy advisor firm Institutional Shareholder Services (ISS); and
3.Senior Campaigner Reem Suleiman and Capital Markets Advisor Lisa Lindsley will be present at the shareholder meeting in Menlo Park.
“Given what we know of the goings on at Facebook over the past 6 months, it’s clear that the company has little to no means of accountability when it comes to Mark Zuckerberg, who currently serves as his own boss. As consumers, we cannot rely on corporate behemoths like Facebook to voluntarily hold themselves accountable, which is exactly why the FTC must take matters into their own hands and regulate this communications mega-corporation.”” said Reem Suleiman, Senior Campaigner at SumOfUs.
“Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg has also held the role of Board Chair since 2012. Over half of non-insider shareholders supported our 2017 shareholder proposal for an independent Board Chair at Facebook. In 2018 the case for independent board leadership is stronger than ever. While shareholders do not elect corporate management, we do elect members of the Board of Directors, and Zuckerberg should no longer hold both positions.” said Lisa Lindsley, Capital Markets Advisor at SumOfUs.
Freedom From Facebook, a diverse group of organizations who share deep concerns about Facebook’s extraordinary power over our lives and democracy, is calling on the Federal Trade Commission to use its broad authority to break up Facebook’s monopoly, by spinning off WhatsApp, Instagram, and Messenger, develop interoperability standards that allow users to communicate between competing social networks, and implement strong privacy rules to give users more control over the collection and utilization of their personal information.
View the Freedom From Facebook website and petition demanding that the FTC breaks up Facebook and implements strong privacy rules at https://freedomfromfb.com
The view of this author is that Facebook’s not an organization that can be broken up, like AT&T. It’s popular because it’s design encourages one to basically waste time looking at what others are posting. It’s become a form of socializing unto itself. What’s needed is for Facebook to allow better exchange via API’s with other platforms, like YouTube. But, if the group “Freedom From Facebook” wants to achieve that, they need to invest in a new social network that will draw people away from Facebook. You should not be able to legislate what social media platforms to use – that’s unconstitutional.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Las Vegas Raiders Keys To Victory For Week Three Vs The Dolphins By Eric Pangilinan September 25, 2021
- Bill Carroll’s Saturday Superlative RBs Week 3 Sean Tucker, Ronnie Rivers Shermari Jones&Rasheen Ali September 25, 2021
- Staunch Moderates™ – Rapper Casanova Ace and DJ Staunch Launch New Album ‘The First Realm’ September 25, 2021
- In Memory of Our Friend, Willie Garson September 25, 2021
- Bill Carroll’s Saturday Superlatives QBs Week 3 Tannner Mordecai, Austin Kendall, and Jaxson Dart. September 25, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Mogul Steve Wynn To Light Al Davis Torch At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 25, 2021
- KTVU’s Frank Somerville Suspended For Good – Not Over Gabby Petito Social Media Debate Says Rich Lieberman September 25, 2021
- Free Football Pick UCLA Bruins vs Stanford Cardinal Prediction, 9/25/2021 College Football Best Bet September 25, 2021
- Stanford Football: UCLA Motivational September 25, 2021
- Washington vs Cal 9/25/21 Free College Football Picks and Predictions Week 4 2021 September 25, 2021
- Mail thieves caught on camera in Oakland September 25, 2021
- Home For Sale – 2364 E 16th St Oakland, CA 94601 September 25, 2021
- 2018 SUBARU Outback Walnut Creek, San Francisco, Oakland, Berkeley, Vallejo J3219216 September 25, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: INSIDE motel where Gabby Petito’s fiancé stayed after the traffic stop September 25, 2021
- Oakland Residents Starting to Inquire About Getting COVID Boosters September 25, 2021
- Houston Astros vs Oakland Athletics Highlights September 24, 2021 – MLB Highlights | MLB Season 2021 September 25, 2021
- Rep. Lauren Boebert Paid Rent, Utilities With Campaign Funds, Filing Shows September 25, 2021
- Kroger Fayetteville GA Store’s Produce Bag Dispensers Placed Too High To Reach September 25, 2021
- TOP 15 YouTube Mistakes Small YouTubers Make – Why Your Channel Isn’t Growing September 25, 2021
- Palo Alto woman accused of starting Fawn Fire allegedly had lighter in her pocket: DA September 25, 2021
- PG&E charged in Zogg Fire that killed 4 last year September 25, 2021
- The Road to 3-0, Dolphins’ Change at QB and More Storylines Heading Into Week 3 | Raiders | NFL September 25, 2021
- Shaquille O’Neal’s Credit Card was Declined at Walmart September 25, 2021
- NBA players flirting with officials September 25, 2021
- Little Italy – Standoff ends with man almost hitting pedestrians September 25, 2021