Former Oakland Police Chief Anne Kirkpatrick issued this statement in the matter of Court-Appointed Monitor Robert Warshaw’s report on the Pawlik Shooting.
Mr. Warshaw’s report on the Pawlik shooting is purposely misleading and attempts to hide important issues that should be of public concern.
These are the facts:
I proposed that the Department bring in outside experts completely independent of the Oakland Police Department to lead the Executive Force Review Board. This would have been the most transparent and reform minded approach for coming to a fair and impartial conclusion. Mr. Warshaw blocked that effort and prevented the independent investigation.
Even without an independent investigation, as I had proposed, at least four review boards or investigative agencies examined the conduct of the OPD officers involved in Mr. Pawlick’s death.
The Executive Force Review Board was chaired by Deputy Chief LeRonne Armstrong and included two OPD captains. In addition, the Police Commission President Thomas Smith, a city attorney, and a former federal Magistrate Judge Maria Elena James observed the EFRB’s proceedings. The EFRB unanimously voted that the shooting was in policy.
Likewise, the Citizen Police Review Agency investigated the shooting. The CPRA is made up of investigators who work for the Police Commission. The CPRA also unanimously found the shooting in policy.
In addition to the EFRB and the CPRA, the Criminal Investigations Division and Internal Affairs Division concluded the shooting was in policy.
In short, these four entities came to the same conclusion that I did: the shooting, while awful, was within policy.
This years-late ‘report’ by Mr. Warshaw must be read in context. In May, I filed a claim against the City of Oakland because the Police Commission and the Mayor fired me for blowing the whistle on the Commission’s improper conduct. Mr. Warshaw knows that I have been critical of him and that I have called for him to be removed. This ‘report,’ coming years after the incident and months after I filed my claim, appears to be his effort to defend himself and the City. I will not be intimidated. I intend to file my case in court shortly.
Enough is enough. It is beyond time for Mr. Warshaw to go. He is charging the Oakland taxpayers millions of dollars a year as “Monitor” and “Compliance Director” of the OPD. His interest is not in Oakland, its citizens, or the police department. Mr. Warshaw cares about Mr. Warshaw and protecting his annual seven-figure fees. Mr. Warshaw is an impediment to meaningful reform; Oakland deserves better.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Muni changes services due to vaccine policy worker shortage October 28, 2021
- What to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings report after the bell October 28, 2021
- Is Kyler Murray the MVP? October 28, 2021
- Eagles Prepare for Week 8 vs. Lions | Eagles Live Practice October 28, 2021
- Winners & Losers October 28, 2021
- Chris Tabor: Media Availability | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Intel CEO on company’s transformation strategy October 28, 2021
- Thursday Free Betting Picks & TNF Predictions – 10/28/21 l Picks & Parlays October 28, 2021
- Oakland Inspector General Public Forum October 28, 2021
- Chiefs Trade Rumors On Melvin Ingram, Trey Flowers, Marvin Jones & Mike Hughes | NFL Trade Deadline October 28, 2021
- Bill Lazor: ‘We’ve got to be better in every aspect of the passing game’ | Chicago Bears October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Social Spending Framework As ‘Game Changer For Families’ October 28, 2021
- Benzino on His Daughter Coi Leray Being a Bigger Rapper than Him (Part 16) October 28, 2021
- Is Derrick Henry One of the BEST RBs Ever? October 28, 2021
- Fabio Silva and Ruben Neves CAN’T BELIEVE their FIFA Ratings | Uncut October 28, 2021
- Biden delivers remarks before he travels to Italy for the G20 leader summit October 28, 2021
- Biden Announces New Framework For Social Spending Plan: ‘No One Got Everything They Wanted’ October 28, 2021
- PFT Draft: Top Week 8 matchups around the NFL | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- CDC: Latinos Have The Highest Rate Of Depression October 28, 2021
- Sherry’s Forecast: Thursday, October 28 October 28, 2021
- COP26: Indian Teen Activist Joins Youth in Glasgow Climate Summit October 28, 2021
- Ree Drummond Makes Acting Debut In Food Network Christmas Film — Watch The Trailer! October 28, 2021
- Free Sports Picks | NFL Week 8 Picks | College Football Betting Previews | WagerTalk Today | Oct 28 October 28, 2021
- All-New 2023 Corvette Z06 Reveal | Chevrolet Canada October 28, 2021
- U.S. Rep ‘disturbed’ by Washington Football Team, NFL situation | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- Watch Live: Biden speaks about new $1.75 trillion social spending bill | CBSN October 28, 2021
- LIVE: Between The Horns: Rams vs. Texans Preview, Matthew Stafford & Cooper Kupp’s Dynamic + More October 28, 2021
- Charleston White on IG Model Mercedes Morr’s Death (Part 28) October 28, 2021
- Alicia Taylor is not a fan of McKenzie Mitchell’s new friend Chucky: What’s NeXT, Oct. 28, 2021 October 28, 2021
- Arlo White remembers filming ‘Ted Lasso’ with Jason Sudeikis | Premier League | NBC Sports October 28, 2021
- Six Stats to Know for Week 8 | Chiefs vs. Giants October 28, 2021
- Behind the Scenes of Will Ferrell’s Cover Shoot #SHORTS October 28, 2021
- Jonathan Allen Breaks Down Biden’s New Human Infrastructure Framework October 28, 2021
- Morning News NOW Full Broadcast – October 28 October 28, 2021
- ‘GMA’ visits Bran Castle in Romania, the home of Dracula October 28, 2021
- Día de los Muertos event in Sacramento to feature recreated Mexican cemetery October 28, 2021
- ‘Stock price speaks for itself’: Ginkgo CEO says after short-seller report October 28, 2021
- NBA 28/10/2021 FREE NBA BETS , PICKS AND PREDICTIONS October 28, 2021
- San Francisco’s MOST DANGEROUS HOOD, Hunters Point October 28, 2021
- Truth About the Dodgers 2020 World Series Title & Why It’s as Legitimate as any World Series Title October 28, 2021