ONN – Former Coliseum JPA Director Scott McKibben Leading Indoor Football League Oakland Effort
Scott McKibben, the same man who was wrongly forced to retire from his post as Oakland Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority Executive Director over the RingCentral Naming Rights Deal is leading the charge to bring the Indoor Football League to Oakland.
Scott McKibben is working in the employment of Roi Choi, the owner of two Indoor Football League teams and working on a third one: The Oakland one, with McKibben reportedly as team president and former Oakland Raiders and Seattle Seahawks player Marshawn Lynch as co-owner with Choi.
McKibben set this up months ago and now Marshawn Lynch is involved. This proves that Scott is helping to keep sports in Oakland. Far more than can be said for any other effort to date.
Allowed To Get RingCentral Naming Rights Deal By Coliseum JPA, Then Accused Of Self-Dealing By Same JPA
In the mismanaged weirdness that is the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum Joint Powers Authority (Coliseum JPA), Mr. McKibben says he was allowed to go after a naming rights deal by the Coliseum JPA, yet the person who serves as the Coliseum JPA lawyer then turned around an accused him of self-dealing.
This is where the rest of the San Francisco Bay Area media gets it wrong. McKibben’s official title was “consultant” and not “employee” – he was paid as such by the City of Oakland and the County of Alameda.
Arguably, the media, which has no interest in what the law really says around California Government Code Section 1090, has allowed itself to be spun by the same City of Oakland lawyers who made the mistake of not looking at Scott’s contract or invoices. The Section reads, in relevant part, “Members of the Legislature, state, county, district, judicial district, and city officers or employees shall not be financially interested in any contract made by them in their official capacity, or by any body or board of which they are members.”
A California court stated the concept of “conflict of interest” with respect to this away: “The evil to be thwarted by section 1090 is easily identified: If a public official is pulled in one direction by his financial interest and in another direction by his official duties, his judgment cannot and should not be trusted, even if he attempts impartiality.” (Carson Redevelopment Agency v. Padilla (2006) 140 Cal.App.4th 1323, 1330.)
If you know that case, then you can see that Scott was not in a position of impartiality in the case of the Coliseum JPA, nor was anything in his consulting contract such that he was given a structure prohibiting him from taking on the role of a naming rights consultant.
Since the Coliseum JPA Board gave him the go-ahead to do the deal, to then turn around and accuse him of violating Section 1090 is completely baseless. Even if you argue that Scott’s case fits Hub City Solid Waste Services, Inc. v. City of Compton (2010) 186 Cal.App.4th 1114, where that court found that the term “public official” included “independent contractors whose official capacities carry the potential to exert considerable influence over the contracting decisions of a public agency,” how then do you explain Scott’s being allowed to find a naming rights partner and secure RingCentral by the same Coliseum JPA Board?
There’s no legal example in written Section 1090 history that perfectly encompasses Scott’s position such that one can blame him for “double dealing” when the Coliseum JPA Board was aware of it. The Coliseum JPA Board gave him the go-ahead to, in point of fact, step outside Section 1090.
Indeed, it’s far more likely that Scott McKibben should be exonorated from any claims of criminal wrong-doing by People v. Christiansen (2013) 216Cal.App.4th 1181, 157 Cal.Rptr.3d 451, where the court had declined to apply criminal sanctions in a case involving a school district employee who had a separate consulting business, relying on the common law definition of “employee” to hold that criminal liability should not be imposed on a party, who is acting as a consultant and who may have been unaware of the application of 1090 to a person in their position. Not only was Scott not aware of Section 1090, but the Oakland Coliseum JPA Board didn’t think of it, and allowed him to secure RingCentral.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Why Patience is super excited for Black Tech Fest 21 October 17, 2021
- Raiders News : NT Kendal Vickers Move Up To 53 Man Roster | Mariota Activated For Week 6 October 17, 2021
- Episode 2: The Captain’s Code with Blaine Scully in Conversation with Jack Clark October 17, 2021
- Paralyzed Cal Rugby Star Walks Across Stage to Receive College Diploma October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept 2021 October 17, 2021
- Lincoln Anniversary Concept – A concept car that shows how Lincoln vehicles will look in 2040 October 17, 2021
- 2022 Lincoln Zephyr Reflection – Interior and Exterior Walkaround – 2021 Shanghai motor show October 17, 2021
- Driving Downtown San Francisco | California USA [4K 60 UHD] October 17, 2021
- Former Homeless Man: San Francisco’s Approach to Homelessness Will Lead to More Homeless | Tom Wolf October 17, 2021
- Self-driving Waymo cars pile up on dead-end San Francisco street October 17, 2021
- San Francisco, Marin Counties Lift Indoor Mask Mandates in Some Settings October 17, 2021
- San Francisco threatens to fire unvaccinated city workers October 17, 2021
- NFL John Gruden Emails Football Press Conference Cold Open – SNL October 17, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Should Go After Eric Bieniemy For Head Coach By Eric Pangilinan October 17, 2021
- Daniel Craig Cameo On SNL With Rami Malek As Host – No Time To Die Stars On Saturday Night Live October 17, 2021
- Film Study: Raiders Offensive Line looks Much Improved vs Bears October 17, 2021
- Braves vs Dodgers Series Preview: #MLB #Baseball #ForTheA #Dodgers #RepeatLA #MLBPlayoffs October 16, 2021
- Stolen Vehicle Pursuit Ends With Bus Crash Into Oakland Home October 16, 2021
- James Bond No Time To Die At Cinemark 17 Fayetteville GA – Our Review Of Daniel Craig’s Classic October 16, 2021
- Best of Jordan Poole’s 2021-22 Preseason! October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Marcus Mariota Activated To The Active Roster By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- Boxing Who Will Tyson Fury Fight Next? Anthony Joshua ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021
- AYS! CHAMP DEWAYNE BEAMON! NFL SURPRISES! RAIDERS PREVIEW! FREE PICKS! MLB PLAYOFFS! JOHN GRUDEN!! October 16, 2021
- Raiders Prepare for First Game Without Gruden | Vegas Nation Gameday October 16, 2021
- Paul Salata NFL Mr Irrelevant Week Founder And Great Friend Passed Away October 16, 2021
- On NFL Emails Jeff Pash, Bruce Allen Vlog By Joseph Armendariz – Setting The Record Straight, Gruden October 16, 2021
- Should The Raiders Hire Eric Bieniemy & Mike Kafka In 2022? Mike Mayock Will Also Get Fired? Q&A October 16, 2021
- Dodgers NLCS vs the Braves: Bubble Rematch for the Pennant | MLB Postseason 2021 October 16, 2021
- Red Sox vs. Astros ALCS Game 1 Highlights (10/15/21) | MLB Highlights October 16, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Would Mark Davis Promote Gus Bradley To Head Coach ? By Eric Pangilinan October 16, 2021