Washington, DC – Twenty years ago, the Cleveland Plain Dealer had more than 300 journalists and editors. Now it’s down to 14 after yesterday’s announcement that it would cut 22 more journalists from its newsroom. The reason? According to the paper, “loss in revenue to overcome deep losses in subscriptions and advertising.”
The revenue that used to support legacy media and local news is now going to tech giants instead. While its advertising revenue has skyrocketed, Google has eroded news publishers’ two sources of revenue: subscriptions and advertising. It changed its Incognito mode to make it easier for readers to evade subscription limits on free content. And it’s phasing out third-party cookies, which its own study concluded would reduce ad revenue for news publishers by an average of 62%. Google didn’t set out to destroy the journalism industry, but that is exactly what is happening.
The following is a statement from Nick Charles, spokesperson for the Save Journalism Project and former journalist at the Cleveland Plain Dealer:
Winston Churchill reportedly called The Plain Dealer the best moniker in the world for a newspaper; an organ of plain and honest reporting and “an advocate of truth.” That truth telling took another devastating blow yesterday as news of more layoffs at The Plain Dealer was announced. Over the years those let go were my colleagues, friends, and comrades in the ongoing effort all journalists are convinced of; to bring information and context to our fellow citizens.
The business model for these newspapers is being decimated by the dominance of big tech, particularly Google. Northeast Ohio already lost the Youngstown Vindicator last year. The gutting of the Plain Dealer only exacerbates the local news crisis in these communities.
Not only will this impact the individual lives and families of those laid off, the extent of these bone-deep cuts are depredation for towns and cities across the nation. Newspapers are community institutions, providing critical news and information for residents and also serving an important role in social cohesion. There are already 1,300 communities that have lost local news coverage in the past 15 years, but it doesn’t have to get worse before it gets better.
Journalism in America is facing an existential threat from the monopolistic control of tech giants like Google, Facebook, and Apple. Big tech’s dominance over the digital advertising market and their unrivaled capacity to monetize its platforms are having drastic effects on journalism as a whole.
Follow the Save Journalism Project on Twitter.
This was based on a press release sent to Zennie62Media by Save Journalism.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL Trade Rumors On Odell Beckham, Von Miller, Saquon Barkley, Jimmy Garoppolo + Dak Prescott Injury October 18, 2021
- Bye Bye New England! INSANE Ending Cowboys vs. Patriots October 18, 2021
- Nation’s Top Cannabis Companies Partner to Deliver Point of Purchase Data on Cannabis Products to Consumers, Manufacturers October 18, 2021
- West Oakland skate park fire October 18, 2021
- Film Study: Derek Carr was incredible for the Las Vegas Raiders Vs the Denver Broncos October 18, 2021
- 1044 Aquarius Way Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 4601 Grass Valley Rd Oakland CA | Oakland Homes for Sale October 18, 2021
- 30 years since firestorm tore through Oakland hills October 18, 2021
- FIRST TAKE | Stephen A. EXCITED Las Vegas Raiders win vs. Denver Broncos, after Gruden’s resignation October 18, 2021
- Broncos season slipping from grasp after Raiders loss October 18, 2021
- NFL News, Dak Injury, NFL Trade Rumors On Von Miller & Odell Beckham, Cam Newton Destinations + Q&A October 18, 2021
- Best of Stephen Curry’s 2021-2022 Preseason 👌 October 18, 2021
- 49ers News & Rumors: Trade Jimmy Garoppolo For Odell Beckham? Sign Cam Newton? Kendricks Signs w/ SF October 18, 2021
- Is J.T. O’Sullivan Right About 49ers QB Trey Lance October 18, 2021
- Raiders Rumors, Overreaction Monday On Rich Bisaccia, Derek Carr + Winners & Losers vs. Broncos October 18, 2021
- Cal Men’s Basketball: Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Media Day Press Conference October 18, 2021
- Cal Women’s Soccer: Karlie Lema’s late goal gives Cal a 1-0 road win over Utah October 18, 2021
- Falcons News & Rumors: Grady Jarrett Trade Rumors? Josh Andrews Back? Falcons vs Dolphins EASY Win? October 18, 2021
- Mike Golic: Las Vegas Raiders used Broncos game as ‘safe haven’ | Pro Football Talk | NBC Sports October 18, 2021
- Statement from President Barack Obama on the Passing of General Colin Powell October 18, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders | The Jon Gruden Era Is Over In Las Vegas October 18, 2021
- A Retired East Bay Teacher Raised More Than $300K for Schools. Now, He Has a New, Ambitious Goal October 18, 2021
- Colin Powell RIP – Endorsement Of Barack Obama in 2008 Marked Major Change In Black Relations October 18, 2021
- COWBOYS y PATRIOTS luchan hasta el TIEMPO EXTRA | Semana 6 2021 NFL Game Highlights October 18, 2021
- ‘Bloomberg Technology’ Full Show (10/15/2021) October 18, 2021
- Dodgers vs. Braves NLCS Game 2 Highlights (10/17/21) | MLB Highlights October 18, 2021
- Derreck Johnson Runs For Mayor Of Oakland In 2022 Elections October 18, 2021
- Tech Byte – Tech for Tracking MLB Playoffs October 18, 2021
- Hisense | Washing Machine | All in One October 18, 2021
- Hisense X Laser TV | Bring cinema home October 18, 2021