They can’t leave Maria Ayerdi Kaplan alone can they?
On Tuesday of the week of October 18th, 2018, a lawsuit was filed against the San Francisco Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) by its General Contractor, Webcor – Obayashi, seeking $150 million in damages related to Salesforce Transit Center. That was also reported in two news accounts on Wednesday of this week.
According to the news posts, “The lawsuit alleges the authority mismanaged the project, noting its board of directors fired the executive director, Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan, over concerns about major cost overruns and repeated delays. San Francisco’s Department of Public Works then took over the project and provided better management.”
Zennie62Media, a growing network of blogs and social media channels including Zennie62 on YouTube (Oakland’s first YouTube Partner Channel) and “Oakland Focus” (Oakland’s first true blog in 2004) has a series on Oakland News Now on how Ms. Ayerdi-Kaplan worked to, first, create the Transbay Joint Powers Authority itself, and then obtain the funding to develop what is now called Salesforce Transit Center.
The fake news accounts don’t at all match the real story we have on Ms. Kaplan. Zennie62Media is not the official spokesperson for Ms. Ayerdi-Kaplan, however it would be a mistake not to address what was written in other news posts, because they do not reflect her story as presented in our blog, Oakland News Now and social media accounts.
First, it’s important to note that at no time did Maria Ayerdi ever make an insulting comment about Webcor – Obayashi: after all, the TJPA hired them and expected them to do their job, with oversight from Turner Construction. From Zennie62Media’s view, it would seem that any claim of “incompetence” would fall on those hired by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, as they essentially represented the TJPA.
Second, it is interesting how, on the heels of the discovery of the cracked steel beams in the Salesforce Center, Webcor – Obayashi files the lawsuit against the TJPA and makes false allegations against Ms. Kaplan.
It appears Webcor may be looking to head off lawsuits against itself for their possible alleged contribution to the cracked steel beams of the Salesforce Transit Center and the sinking and tilting of Millennium Tower when they worked for the Millennium Tower Developers as General Contractor.
Moreover, regarding facts, it must be noted, first, that San Francisco’s Department of Public Works didn’t “take over” the project – that’s completely wrong.
Mark Zabaneh was hired to replace Kaplan by the Transbay Joint Powers Authority after she retired from public work; at no point was the San Francisco’s Department of Public Works (SFDPPDW) assigned to “take over” the project.
The only thing the SFDPPDW did was to bring on board an employee in December of 2015 to help “oversee” construction of Salesforce Transit Center when all of the heavy construction work was already completed.
The Transbay Joint Powers Authority TJPA Hired Mark Zabaneh To Take Over For The Retiring Maria Ayerdi-Kaplan
I have the original press release from Friday, April 22, 2016, 5:16 PM. Starting with this title, It reads: “Transbay Joint Powers Authority Appoints Mark Zabaneh as Interim Executive Director,” and the entire press release can be read at this link, here, but it’s important to note the following entry:
1. The Press Release reads: “San Francisco (April 22, 2016) – The Transbay Joint Powers Authority (TJPA) is pleased to announce that earlier today the TJPA Board of Directors appointed Mark Zabaneh to the role of interim executive director effective May 1, 2016… “Since starting at TJPA in 2013, Zabaneh has led the agency’s program management team…” (Note, Nila Gonzales was hired as Interim Executive Director of the TJPA August 18th, 2020.)
So, if Mark Zabaneh has played such a large role, and since 2013, and worked for Maria, and then was hired as “interim executive director,“ why is Maria being singled out? As I will explain later in the article below, this seems to be as much about sexism and how misogyny rules more than anything else, in my view.
I’m not saying that’s definitely the case, but in this era of a new level of awareness of both female empowerment and female discrimination, our World view should be changed so that there’s more sensitivity applied toward whether its a good idea to make a woman in charge look bad just for monetary gain. I would think the answer Webcor should come to is “no”.
Then there’s this matter of when Webcor started the Transbay Transit Center Project.
I noticed this quote: “While we are still reviewing the details of the complaint, at first glance, many of the accusations that deal with delays to the project pre-date Webcor’s repeated commitments to deliver the transit center on time,” and that was by Mohammed Nuru, who is Chairman of TJPA Board of Directors.
Really? Let’s see…
According to the TJPA’s own contract award list, which anyone can see online, it shows that Webcor – Obayashi was signed as a “Construction Manager / General Contractor” on March 12th of 2009.
Obviously, Mr. Nuru made a mistake there; the “accusations that deal with delays to the project” do not at all pre-date Webcor’s repeated commitments to deliver the transit center on time. Why Mr. Nuru would say that as the Chairman of TJPA Board of Directors is a mystery.
And while I am revealing holes in news accounts, how about the idea that Maria was “fired” – the TJPA unanimously passed a resolution applauding her work for 18 years on the Project. Where is it written or stated by any TJPA Board member that she was “fired”? There is also a severance agreement that has been reported on by the mainstream press that confirmed she retired from the Project. But since that report, others in the mainstream changed the news to report that she was “ousted”, which is like being fired – there’s no official record of that.
Overall, it seems that there has been a concerted effort to pin all of the ills of the Transbay Transit Center Project on Ms. Ayerdi, even though the truth is there’s a lot of blame to go around.
And how about the comments about her work from the late San Francisco Mayor Ed Lee…
There are more questions than answers and the mainstream media’s got it wrong and is putting out fake news.
When discovery is finally completed with all the lawsuits flying around and the courts of law (whether a judge or jury) hears the cases, hopefully we will have all the answers.
The main problem here is twofold:
First, all of these false allegations and lawsuits is about money and greed. When there is so much money at stake you have fake news, defamatory allegations and every modern day hit man crawls out of the rocks to protect their financial interest, no matter what the cost to the taxpayers.
Second and sadly, this is as much about insulting, harassing, and attempting to disparage a Latina woman who was one of a handful of powerful Executive Directors in the transportation, construction, and real estate development business.
Fact: sexism and misogyny continues to be rampant against women, and in particular women of color, in these and in other industries.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Readout of Biden Administration Convening to Discuss and Address Semiconductor Supply Chain September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Vs Dolphins Won’t Be Aired On Some Tv Market In California By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Defense Is The Key To Victory In Week By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- RecallOakland.com Website For Stupid Idea Of Recalling Mayor Schaaf Months Before She’s Termed Out September 23, 2021
- Nintendo Reveals Cast For The Mario Movie in 2022. Yes This Is Real, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 23, 2021
- BREAKING: Arrest Warrant Issued for Brian Laundrie in Gabby Petito’s Death September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Tom Flores To Receive Hall Of Fame Ring At Allegiant Stadium By Eric Pangilinan September 23, 2021
- Justin Fields First NFL Start Will Come Against The Browns | Pat McAfee Reacts September 23, 2021
- Coach Bradley, Coach Olson, Denzel Perryman and Kenyan Drake Presser – 9.23.21 | Las Vegas Raiders September 23, 2021
- Supermodel Linda Evangelista Has Been “Brutally Disfigured” by Procedure Done 5 Years Ago | PEOPLE September 23, 2021
- Author Jameis1of1 Talks About Jameis Winston And Gives Thoughts On Pats vs Saints Game September 23, 2021
- Kate Scott Is Philadelphia’s First Female Sports Broadcaster – That’s No Accident – Here’s Why September 23, 2021
- Mom Gets Surprise Giant Gift Box From Rocket Mortgage Sent Via UPS September 23, 2021
- How U.C. Berkeley Beat Harvard And Yale To Become The Best College In America | Forbes September 23, 2021
- Judge Orders UC Berkeley To Freeze Enrollment After Neighborhood Group Sues September 23, 2021
- Save 1921 Walnut St. Berkeley – Tenants Protest Demolition, UC Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin Actions September 23, 2021
- 30 Weirdest Things Ever Caught On Security Cameras & CCTV ! September 23, 2021
- The Raiders Are LETHAL With Derek Carr and Jon Gruden in Sync | Tiki and Tierney September 23, 2021
- Melvin Van Peebles on Bill Cosby Allegations; Being a Pioneer September 23, 2021
- Unstoppable: Melvin Van Peebles, Gordon Parks, and Ossie Davis in Conversation (2005) September 23, 2021
- Groundbreaking Filmmaker Melvin Van Peebles Has Died September 23, 2021
- R.I.P Mario Van Peebles Dad, Speaks On How His Father Melvin Van Peebles Died September 23, 2021
- 2021 09 21 Meeting with DSP UC Berkeley Students with Disabilities Coalition PART 2 September 23, 2021
- Nobel Prize Medal Presented to UC Berkeley Chemistry Professor Jennifer Doudna at her Berkeley Home September 23, 2021
- Oakland school district votes on vaccine mandate September 23, 2021
- Lakefront Home For Sale – 195 Honey Ln Fayetteville GA 30214 September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale – Introducing, 260 Camelot Fayetteville, Georgia September 23, 2021
- Home For Sale 3800 California Street Oakland, CA | ColdwellBankerHomes.com September 23, 2021
- Oakland Officer, Suspect Wounded In Shootout; Suspect Surrenders After Tense Standoff September 23, 2021
- Weather Forecast Oakland, California ▶ Oakland weather Forecast 09/23/2021 September 23, 2021
- COVID Vaccinations: Oakland Unified School District Board Approves COVID Vaccination Mandate For Students September 23, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District Board Discusses Vaccine Mandate for Students, Staff September 23, 2021
- Woman Wanted For Pulling Gun On Chipotle Worker In Philadelphia September 23, 2021
- Go Fund Me For Raider Nation’s Black Hole Rob Rivera’s Funeral By Rachel Rivera September 23, 2021
- Gabby Petito case: Crews use new tools in the search for Brian Laundrie September 23, 2021
- Hey EBX & Hella Coastal – Brothers Brewing Co Was Oakland’s First Black Brewery, And Then There Was Pican Restaurant September 23, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders NFL Pro football Focus Ranked Maxx Crosby Number 1 Edge Rusher By Eric Pangilinan September 22, 2021
- Raiders Steve Wisniewski Nominated For 2022 Pro Football Hall of Fame Class, By: Vinny Lospinuso September 22, 2021
- Brian Laundrie search: What led police to the Carlton Reserve? September 22, 2021
- Laundrie neighbor says she saw Brian after his return September 22, 2021