ONN – Mr. Robinson returns to explain how a lot has changed since the last visit to his neighborhood.
Famed comedian and former Saturday Night Live Star Eddie Murphy came back to host the show after an absence that spanned 30 years. The result was the funniest Saturday Night Live Show many have seen in a long, long time, and drew back people who, as one put it on Facebook, “had not watched a full 90 minutes of the broadcast since he left.” (And the Christmas SNL episode, which featured Murphy with Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Tracy Morgan, Alec Baldwin, Larry David, Maya Rudolph, Jason Sudeikis, Fred Armisen and Rachel Dratch, gave Saturday Night Live its best ratings in two years, or since May 13th, 2017, when Melissa McCarthy was the SNL host.)
Eddie Murphy brought back many of the famous characters he created while on SNL, including “Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood”.
“Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood” was originally a take on “Mr. Roogers’ Neighborhood” except that Mr. Robinson was black and talked about many of the activities that someone poor and African American had to do just to get by in their own neighborhood.
Well, this new version of “Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood” repeated that pattern and in doing so, focused on gentrification. What Murphy said in “Mr. Robinson’s Neighborhood” could easily apply to Oakland: ‘Word of the Day: Squatters Rights’, points to an active story involving Moms4Housing.
In the Saturday Night Live sketch, Eddie Murphy as Mr. Robinson explained that his neighborhood has changed in recent years.
“So much has changed since we last spent some time together,” Murphy said in the sketch. “My neighborhood has gone through so much. It has gone through something called gentrification. Can you say that? It’s like a magic trick. White people pay a lot of money and then poof! All the black people are gone. But where do they go, boys and girls? Back to where they come from, of course: Atlanta. Now it’s just me by myself. You’re all probably wondering how Mr. Robinson can afford to live in this neighborhood. That’s the word of the day: squatters rights. It’s like finders keepers but for other people’s houses.”
That exactly applies to the Oakland Moms4Housing story. There, Moms4Housing had Oakland-based black homeless mothers take over a home that was purchased by Wedgewood Properties. The organization recently won a stay of eviction in court, but Wedgewood Properties says they’re delaying the inevitable. (Update: Oakland “Moms For Housing” Squatters Urged to Leave Voluntarily By Non-Profit Shelter 37, Wedgewood Properties)
Maybe Eddie Murphy can step in and buy the homes for Moms4Housing? Why not? After all, the City of Oakland’s not doing anything to help.
Note from Oakland News Now Technical: this video-blog post shows the full and live operation of the latest updated version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network that was launched June 2018. The main system is a major part of Zennie62Media’s new and innovative approach to the production of news media. There, an uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. This part allows rapid conversion of YouTube videos from any source channel (with permission and from Zennie62 on YouTube) to Oakland News Now blog posts. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. Now, news is reported with a smartphone: no heavy and expensive cameras or even a laptop are necessary. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and seeks interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- MLB Picks – Atlanta Braves vs Los Angeles Dodgers – NLCS Game 3 MLB Playoffs October 19, 2021
- The BEST MLB Team That MISSED The Playoffs October 19, 2021
- 49ers QB Jimmy Garoppolo is Likely to Start Against the Indianapolis Colts October 19, 2021
- MLB Playoffs, MNF, NHL, NBA Opening Night, NBA Top 100 Players, News & Notes, DWTS, Best Bet October 19, 2021
- Curb Your Enthusiasm (2021) | Season 11 Official Trailer | HBO October 19, 2021
- Korn – “Coming Undone” – Live 10-18-2021 – Oakland Arena – Oakland, CA October 19, 2021
- Brutal Marriage Movie – SNL October 19, 2021
- Dadi Konsi Files COC for Konsehal ng Bayan in 2022 Elections | CesVlogs October 19, 2021
- Five players the New York Jets could deal at the NFL trading deadline October 19, 2021
- 2021 MLB playoffs Red Sox vs Astros odds ALCS Game 3 picks predictions October 19, 2021
- Astros vs Red Sox Game 3 Highlights | MLB 2021 October 19, 2021
- Lowe’s Fayetteville GA Service Tech Shelby Cooper Great Dishwasher Install Service On Call October 19, 2021
- Oakland Unified School District OUSD Celebrates 2021 National Principals Month October 19, 2021
- The Jewel of Oakland – An Aerial Cinematic View of Lake Merritt in 4K October 19, 2021
- Oakland Sideshow SEP. 2021 pt.2 October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Seminary, Leona Heights, Upper Dimond, Laurel, Allendale, Maxwell Park October 19, 2021
- Bike the sunrise in Oakland, San Leandro & Alameda October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Up Broadway, Broadway Heights, Down Monterey October 19, 2021
- Bike Oakland: Up Monterey, Down Park October 19, 2021
- Oakland Sideshow SEP. 2021 October 19, 2021
- Bills vs Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Kate Scott embraces Philly as Sixers season begins | Sixers Talk October 19, 2021
- Every Touchdown Scored In Week 6 | NFL 2021 Highlights October 19, 2021
- Bills vs. Titans Week 6 Highlights | NFL 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 4th Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs Tennessee Titans Highlights 3rd Qtr | NFL Season 2021 October 19, 2021
- Train hauling corrosive acid derails at Port of Oakland October 19, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 4th-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 2nd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021
- Buffalo Bills vs. Tennessee Titans HIGHLIGHTs 3rd-Qtr | Week 6 NFL Sunday, October 18,2021 October 18, 2021