Oakland News Now – East Bay Express To Get Oakland Latino Buyer?
A long-time friend called to inform this blogger they put “an offer down to buy the East Bay Express. I think it’s about time a person of color owned it. I took them seriously when they said they wanted to sell it, so we’ll see. It’s a good offer,” my friend said.
The East Bay Express was officially put up for sale earlier this year. The reasons for it would seem to have to do with the reported controversy surrounding racism in it’s workplace, but the fact is the publication has been struggling to make money for some time.
In 2016, Oakland Post Owner Paul Cobb specifically told me that he was planing to merge his legendary African American news publication with the alternative-weekly East Bay Express, which was about to “close its’ doors, according to Cobb.
Then, in 2017, a listing for the East Bay Express turned up in the “PitchBook”, a publication that lists businesses that seek angel investors and corporate and venture capital investors. You can read the listing at this link here.
PitchBook lists the East Bay Express as “Corporate Backed or Acquired” under financing status. It went under three financing rounds. Kathleen Richards is listed as the Editor in Chief and Jay Youngdahl as a Columnist with a board of director’s seat.
The media organization is listed as an “operating subsidiary” of Telegraph Media. Now, the East Bay Express reports Telegraph Media is the owner of the publication and points to one person, but here’s an interesting and important note, per Crunchbase.
Crunchbase, which list a who’s who of entrepreneurs that form a history of tech in the San Francisco Bay Area (even I’m listed in it), explains that the East Bay Express is owned not by “Telegraph Media” but by “Telegraph Media Group.”
Telegraph Media Group on Crunchbase is not one person living in the East Bay and said to be ” is a multi-media news publisher behind The Daily Telegraph and The Sunday Telegraph newspapers,” and based in London. Crunchbase shows that Telegraph Media Group has gained $471.4 million in revenue on an annual basis. Have a read of the news here.
The date of acquisition is said to be Jul 19, 2017.
My friend said he didn’t know about the Pitchdeck listing, so this is going to be interesting.
Oakland News Now Note: this post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental mobile media video-blogging system network that’s part of a new approach to the production of media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 onYouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and social media pages. The objective is real-time on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. We are constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- NFL Notable Stats And Milestones For Week 3, 2021 Season September 27, 2021
- SF 49ers Leave 37 Secs For Green Bay Packers To Drive To Kick 53 Yd Field Goal, Win 30 To 28 September 26, 2021
- INSANE Ending! Miami Dolphins vs Las Vegas Raiders September 26, 2021
- Sarah Everard death received more attention than Sabina Nessa’s, but WHY? September 26, 2021
- Sabina Nessa – The Teacher Murdered In South London | Investigation So Far September 26, 2021
- Gruden, Carr, Renfrow, Hayward Jr., Ruggs III and Barber Postgame Pressers | Week 3 vs. Dolphins September 26, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders First Time The AFC West Is Wide Open Since 2011 By Eric Pangilinan September 26, 2021
- Ravens Locker Room Reaction After Detroit Win September 26, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders: Thoughts On 3-0 Raiders And L.A Booster Club Celebration By Joseph Armendariz September 26, 2021
- 2 men fatally shot near Oakland’s Laurel District September 26, 2021
- Las Vegas Raiders Make NFL History By Eric Pangilinan September 26, 2021
- Rob Gronkowski Injured: 2021 Bucs Vs Rams. September 26, 2021
- Marshon Lattimore on Win in Return | Saints-Patriots Postgame September 26, 2021
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers vs Los Angeles Rams Highlights 3rd – Qtr | NFL Week 3 | September 26, 2021 September 26, 2021
- Sean Payton on Week 3 Win | Saints-Patriots Postgame September 26, 2021
- Jameis Winston on Week 3 Win at New England | Saints-Patriots Postgame September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Men’s Rd 1 Roundup [Pt.1] September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Women’s QF Roundup September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Men’s QF Roundup September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Men’s Rd 1 Roundup [Pt.2] September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Women’s Rd 1 Roundup [Pt.2] September 26, 2021
- Squash: Oracle Netsuite Open 2021 – Women’s Rd 1 Roundup [Pt.1] September 26, 2021
- Michael Irvin SHOCKED Kansas City Chiefs loss to Los Angeles Chargers 30-24 in Week 3 September 26, 2021
- 1991 Oakland Hills Fire Focus Of Disaster Movie Starring LeVar Burton September 26, 2021
- Guns N’ Roses Sweet Child O Mine Live At Allegiant Stadium Las Vegas 2021 September 26, 2021