Dear Oakland Unified Community,
What happened at Wednesday night’s Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Board of Education meeting is troubling and not reflective of who we are as a community. I am writing to provide some background on recent events.
It is important for us to begin to address this situation from a place of compassion for all of our community members. Even in times of conflict, we must uphold our values and respect everyone’s freedom of speech as well as the democratic process.
Background on what’s happened at recent Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Board of Education meetings:
• On September 25, several community members stopped the meeting and occupied OUSD Board member seats.
• On October 10, we brought in extra security, but still had to move the meeting into the committee room upstairs. The public comment microphone became unplugged, preventing public comment.
• On October 21, community members stopped a joint city/school board meeting hosted by the Oakland City Council at City Hall.
• On October 23, the board meeting was disrupted and resulted in community members being detained and released by law enforcement. (See below for more details.)
More about Wednesday night’s Oakland Unified School District (OUSD) Board meeting:
It is clear that the intent of several community members is to stop the Board’s ability to meet, and actions have escalated each time – by both community members and staff, in response.
Wednesday night, in hopes of being able to conduct our meeting, we brought in extra security and a barrier to protect the safety of the Board and allow public comment (as we placed the podium on the dais side of the barrier).
The events of Wednesday night began when a community member jumped over the barrier and others pushed through. Our police and security officers prevented access to the dais, instructed the Board and staff to vacate the dais, and allowed the board meeting to continue upstairs.
In the process, six community members were arrested, cited, and released. None was taken to jail. Out of an abundance of caution, all were offered medical care and five of them declined. One person was transported to the hospital, where she was treated and released.
We want our police and security to act with as much restraint as possible at all times. Our senior leadership team is working with the chief of school police to review last night’s events.
I know there will be differences of opinion. School changes are challenging and there will be community members opposed. It’s my responsibility to create a transparent process, work from the facts, listen to our students, families and staff, and set forth a strategic vision for improving our district. The fact that not everyone agrees does not mean that these decisions aren’t right for Oakland’s students.
We are uniting the Kaiser and Sankofa programs at the Sankofa campus to create an improved program – available to more students – and built on partnership. This work has already started. A conversation between some families and some teachers at both schools is now underway.
Previous work under this initiative has already expanded access to three of our highest demand schools and supported a successful merger.
As an Oakland native, OUSD alum, mother of OUSD students and committed educator for over two decades – and now as Superintendent, I take this work seriously. I live in this community and talk to parents with OUSD students every day of the week. I understand the deep feelings and commitment we have for our kids and the schools they attend.
We need to be able to have uncomfortable conversations and express different perspectives and opinions in a respectful and safe manner. The level of disruption, intimidation and effort to shut down board business is counterproductive and could result in unintended consequences and harm to community members, school staff, and board directors.
We cannot allow such behavior to become the normal way we conduct business on behalf of our students.
We are taking on very challenging work to set the district on a long term course of stability and improved quality that our students deserve. We are tackling issues that have plagued the District for far too many years, and I will not pass these problems on to future generations.
I implore all of us to continue to engage in difficult conversations united by our common aim to improve quality education opportunities across the city, and to do so respectfully and with appropriate restraint to maintain a safe environment for all to participate.
I stand by the work of the Blueprint for Quality Schools and Citywide Plan because I know that equity and the success of ALL of our students are at the forefront of every decision made.
Dr. Kyla Johnson-Trammell
Zennie62Media Note: this letter was reposted in a special account established for Dr. Kyla Johnson-Trammell. This is to insure that the letter is presented in her words and name. Zennie62Media added adjustments including “Oakland Unified School District” and “OUSD” to better aide in the letter being found in an online search.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Merck earnings beat on top and bottom lines, raises forecast October 28, 2021
- Biden To Announce New Social Spending Framework Expected To Win Support Of All Dems October 28, 2021
- Pittsburgh Man Sends Care Packages To Venezuela October 28, 2021
- GOP senators erupt at Garland in heated hearing. Cooper says they misrepresent the facts October 28, 2021
- Brock Lesnar destroys groups of Superstars: WWE Top 10, Oct. 28, 2021 October 28, 2021
- O.J. Howard on Career High Performance vs. Eagles | Slice October 28, 2021
- Sally Yates reveals battle with breast cancer October 28, 2021
- SEC indicates it won’t approve leveraged Bitcoin ETF, WSJ reports October 28, 2021
- General Hospital Tease | October 28th, 2021 October 28, 2021
- Capitol Hill riots: Republican lawmakers ask whether the FBI was involved October 28, 2021
- “All roads lead to Xavi” 👀 | What’s next for Barcelona after Koeman’s sacking? October 28, 2021
- FIFA 22 | Tottenham vs Manchester United – English Premier League 2021/22 – Full Gameplay October 28, 2021
- Fantasy Premier League GAMEWEEK 10 – Team Selection, Must Owns & Who to Avoid! With Olivia Buzaglo October 28, 2021
- Greene: There’s going to be an energy crunch, with prices staying higher for longer October 28, 2021
- Aureus CEO Firestone on what to look for in Apple, Amazon earnings October 28, 2021
- Hussein sentencing: ‘It’s all a performance to elicit sympathy’ October 28, 2021
- Mushkin: Amazon is building an unprecedented logistics network that has no rival October 28, 2021
- Astros even World Series with impressive 7-2 Game 2 triumph October 28, 2021
- Families reflect on World Series Game 2 as Braves lose to Astros 7-2 October 28, 2021
- ‘We Didn’t Worry’: Renewable Energy May Be Solution For Those Vulnerable To Power Outages October 28, 2021
- Watch Rachel Maddow Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Danyal Hussein jailed for 35 years for murder of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman October 28, 2021
- Unique 3 flavour chaat || stylish Banana chat by Afshan Ansari Food Network. October 28, 2021
- Raymond James’ Chris Caso on what to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings October 28, 2021
- Glenview Trust’s Bill Stone: Financials, industrials presenting opportunity October 28, 2021
- 2022 Chevrolet Silverado PICK UP Truck : SEE FIRST LOOK Good business October 28, 2021
- Watch The Beat With Ari Melber Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- France Begins Process of Handing Back Looted African Treasures October 28, 2021
- CBSN Originals | The New Pro-Gun Generation October 28, 2021
- Ludacris Discusses New Venture Into TV | Zerlina. October 28, 2021
- Putin’s order to fill Gazprom’s EU storage facilities prompts gas prices to fall October 28, 2021
- NFL Picks – Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/28/2021 Week 8 NFL Best Bet Today October 28, 2021
- FSB neutralizes ISIS supporter in Murmansk, Russia October 28, 2021
- BEST strike partnerships in Premier League history | Thierry Henry + Dennis Bergkamp & more | Part 1 October 28, 2021
- A’s + Alameda: Key Points for Howard Terminal Ballpark October 28, 2021
- Zoe in San Francisco | Vlog in the USA | iPhone 13 | Purple Tea💜 October 28, 2021
- Highlights: Preston 0-2 Liverpool | Origi scores an outrageous goal in the Carabao Cup October 28, 2021
- How Ina Garten blew off the Food network October 28, 2021
- Houston Astros dominate Atlanta Braves to even up World Series with strong Game 2 win – US News October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights – World Series Game 2 – 10/27/2021 October 28, 2021