ONN – Donziger Chevron Ecuador Lawsuit Dismissed In Canadian Court
The last major lawsuit by plaintiff’s lawyer Steven Donziger and against Chevron in an attempt to recover an ill-gotten $9.5 billion legal damage award issued in Ecuador was dismissed in a Canadian court.
For those who may not be familiar with the history of the Chevron Ecuador Lawsuit , it goes back to 1967 and the creation of an organization called “TexPet” that marks a partnership between Texaco and Ecuador to produce oil in that country. The partnership ended in 1992.
But Steven Donziger, a plaintiff’s lawyer, saw a chance to form an effort to get billions from Texaco on the claim that the company did not do environmental cleanup, when, indeed, it did – and was released from obligations in 1998.
Still Donziger pressed on, and Chevron purchased the firm in 2001, and with it, got Donziger and the lawsuit.
Where Donziger went wrong was in doing and then admitting he bribed and bullied judges in Ecuador, and on camera. He did this during the making of a movie CRUDE. The outtakes have Steven Donziger admitting those and other ethics violations, and then justifying them as the cost of doing business in Ecuador.
That formed the basis for a legal battle that spans the globe. It started with Steven Donziger winning the Ecuador legal judgment of $9.5 billion that, as it turned out, he ghost-wrote for himself. But the U.S. Federal Court said what he did was a violation of the RICO act.
Donziger then went to Canada, Argentina, Gibralter, Brazil, and The Hague, to seek a favorable judgment – never got one. And today, Canada dismissed the case.
What is on the livestream is an explanation of the case and a reading of Chevron’s press release.
Here’s the entire Chevron website news release.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- Marvel Studios’ Shang-Chi and The Legend of the Ten Rings | Official Teaser
- Oakland Schools News: OEA & OUSD Reach Tentative Agreement On 21-22 School Year Calendar
- Rusty Hardin, Deshaun Watson Lawyer, Asserts Client’s Innocence In Statement After Filing Response
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is An Oakland Success By Derrick Soo
- Texans QB Deshaun Watson Answer To 22 Tony Buzbee Lawsuits Details Lies, Money Grab
- 2021 NFL First Round Mock Draft By Dave Squires
- WhereDoWeGoOakland Is A Success By Derrick Soo
- First Flight of the Ingenuity Mars Helicopter: Live from Mission Control
- LIVE: Press Briefing by White House COVID-19 Response Team — 4/19/21
- WHITE HOUSE LIVE CAM – Washington D.C. | USA | earthTV®
- USS Oakland (LCS-24) Commissioning Ceremony
- Capolow Talks Oakland, The Bay Area, Having His Own Strain, Signing To Cinematic
- USS Oakland (LCS 24) Joins the Fleet
- Daunte Wright and Adam Toledo Protest – Oakland 4/16
- Oakland A’s 2021 Final Out and Win Celebration VS Detroit Tigers 4/17/21
- Oakland Pre-K Through 6th Grade Classes Set to Reopen Monday
- Port of Oakland Drone Flight 4K
- Resurrection Oakland Church | April 18, 2021. 10am
- 2021 NFL Mock Draft V3 Livestream By Zennie62Media For April 18th
- Katy Perry Backs That Ass Up To Shocked Luke Bryan On American Idol