ONN – Donziger Chevron Ecuador Lawsuit Dismissed In Canadian Court
The last major lawsuit by plaintiff’s lawyer Steven Donziger and against Chevron in an attempt to recover an ill-gotten $9.5 billion legal damage award issued in Ecuador was dismissed in a Canadian court.
For those who may not be familiar with the history of the Chevron Ecuador Lawsuit , it goes back to 1967 and the creation of an organization called “TexPet” that marks a partnership between Texaco and Ecuador to produce oil in that country. The partnership ended in 1992.
But Steven Donziger, a plaintiff’s lawyer, saw a chance to form an effort to get billions from Texaco on the claim that the company did not do environmental cleanup, when, indeed, it did – and was released from obligations in 1998.
Still Donziger pressed on, and Chevron purchased the firm in 2001, and with it, got Donziger and the lawsuit.
Where Donziger went wrong was in doing and then admitting he bribed and bullied judges in Ecuador, and on camera. He did this during the making of a movie CRUDE. The outtakes have Steven Donziger admitting those and other ethics violations, and then justifying them as the cost of doing business in Ecuador.
That formed the basis for a legal battle that spans the globe. It started with Steven Donziger winning the Ecuador legal judgment of $9.5 billion that, as it turned out, he ghost-wrote for himself. But the U.S. Federal Court said what he did was a violation of the RICO act.
Donziger then went to Canada, Argentina, Gibralter, Brazil, and The Hague, to seek a favorable judgment – never got one. And today, Canada dismissed the case.
What is on the livestream is an explanation of the case and a reading of Chevron’s press release.
Here’s the entire Chevron website news release.
Oakland News Now Note: this video-blog post demonstrates the full and live operation of the latest version of an experimental Zennie62Media mobile media video-blogging system network. This is a major part of our new approach to the production of news media. The uploaded video is from a vlogger with the Zennie62 on YouTube Partner Channel, then uploaded to and formatted automatically at the Oakland News Now site and Zennie62-owned social media pages. The overall objective is smartphone-enabled, real-time, on the scene reporting of news, interviews, observations, and happenings anywhere in the World and within seconds and not hours. The secondary objective is faster, and very inexpensive media production and distribution. We have found there is a disconnect between post length and time to product and revenue generated. With this, the problem is far less, though by no means solved. Zennie62Media is constantly working to improve the system network coding and also seek interested content and media technology partners.
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- City Auditor, Courtney Ruby: Oakland Homeless Encampments Cost City Of Oakland $12.6 Million
- YouTube’s Creator Responsibility Initiative
- Jonathan Pentland Soldier In Jail After Assault On Black Young Man In South Carolina Is Lesson
- Jessica Dwyer Talks With Zennie Abraham About Her Tony Todd Candyman Interview
- Rotary Club of Oakland Civic Wednesday Meeting April 14, 2021
- Jadeveon Clowney Signs One Year Deal with Browns | CBS Sports HQ
- Brandon Dawkins Thanks Oakland Police Officer Mike For Service At Oakland Coliseum During Raiders Games
- AmeriCorps NCCC Team Blue 5 Oakland Mobile Vaccine Pop-Up
- Getting Vaccinated At The Oakland Coliseum Site
- Prosecuting Attorney In Chauvin Trial Reduces Chauvin Defense Pathology Expert Claims To Nothing
- Coinbase Direct Listing Discussion
- Rachael “Rachul” Frieza Crossfit Super Muscular Hot Instagram Female Athlete @rachulfreyafit
- Brian Armstrong Coinbase CEO Who Gave Me My First Bitcoin After Meeting At Mars Bar SF, Goes Public
- Mock Draft Live Two Weeks Away From The 2021 NFL Draft
- 1974 Oakland Raiders Season
- Oakland Athletics Post-Game From Phoenix By Richard Haick
- Oakland Public Library: Hora De Cuentos: 5 En La Cama
- Oakland Athletics at Arizona Diamondbacks at Chase Field in Phoenix by Richard Haick
- US Calls For Pause On Johnson & Johnson Vaccine | TODAY
- Paul Flores, Rubin Flores: Kristin Smart Case Suspects Arrested, Sheriffs To Announce Updates