Does MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred really know the Oakland A’s Ballpark Issue? Well, based on statements the MLB Commish made during Monday and Tuesday of this week, it seems to this blogger that the otherwise seemingly well-prepared sports exec had zero clue what he was talking about, or doing.
Consider these head-scratcher actions:
1) Rob Manfred, obviously as tired of hearing the word “lawsuit” attached to any sports business issue in Oakland as I am, elected to go all whole HAM and threaten to move the team to Las Vegas. Since Las Vegas has no plan to bring a Major League Baseball Team to Sin City, Rob Manfred’s words rang hollow, and he had to backtrack on them.
2) Since about 97 percent of the mainstream media are as unfamiliar with the City of Oakland and Oakland A’s situation as Rob Manfred is, they completely missed how Manfred just plain undressed the Portland Ballpark Plan with his subsequent A’s blast about public money. After he made the Vegas error, he doubled-down by saying that the A’s want taxpayer dollars. So, at that point, it was obvious to me we were on a tram-ride to stupid ville. Harsh? Damn right. Here’s why.
3) If anyone knows the situation (and it’s obvious the Mercury News Editorial Board doesn’t just reading an editorial they wrote that’s so freaking off base I refuse to link to it), they know what’s happening. They know that A’s President Dave Kaval has worked effectively with Oakland Mayor Libby Schaaf and California Assemblyman Rob Bonta and California State Senator Nancy Skinner to get legislation that will allow the Oakland City Council to establish a tax increment financing zone (called The Howard Terminal Infrastructure District within the legislation called Senate Bill 293) around Howard Terminal and Jack London Square. Where was Rob Manfred while creating that was going on? Where was the Mercury News Editorial Board?
If MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred or the Mercury News Editorial Board knew about the tax increment financing zone, they’d know that the provision would give the A’s the taxpayer subsidy they seek for the ballpark.
If MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred (or the Mercury News Editorial Board for that matter) knew how to do tax increment financing calculations (as I do), they would know that the Oakland A’s stand to gain between $460 million and as much as $700 million toward a ballpark at Howard Terminal.
That’s money that would be applied to Howard Terminal, and it would be the largest subsidy ever provided by the City of Oakland for any development project in its history. That includes the proposed 1993 $293 million subsidy the Rouse Corporation wanted from the City of Oakland to build a 2 million square foot shopping center at what’s now the Square Building and an apartment complex starting just inside the Telegraph and 18th Avenue intersection.
So, anyone media or not saying that Oakland doesn’t want to spend money on sports needs to stop, read, and smile. Especially considering the giant homeless problem we have, one would think some high-dollar amount would be committed to that, or a creative way to use the money from sports to solve the problem, but this version of Oakland seems reluctant to take such actions. But, I digress.
Maybe Rob Manfred can show both a heart and a brain and jump in and help us improve Oakland, rather than threaten it.
You may also like
Oakland News Now Recent Posts
- “All roads lead to Xavi” 👀 | What’s next for Barcelona after Koeman’s sacking? October 28, 2021
- FIFA 22 | Tottenham vs Manchester United – English Premier League 2021/22 – Full Gameplay October 28, 2021
- Fantasy Premier League GAMEWEEK 10 – Team Selection, Must Owns & Who to Avoid! With Olivia Buzaglo October 28, 2021
- Greene: There’s going to be an energy crunch, with prices staying higher for longer October 28, 2021
- Aureus CEO Firestone on what to look for in Apple, Amazon earnings October 28, 2021
- Hussein sentencing: ‘It’s all a performance to elicit sympathy’ October 28, 2021
- Mushkin: Amazon is building an unprecedented logistics network that has no rival October 28, 2021
- Astros even World Series with impressive 7-2 Game 2 triumph October 28, 2021
- Families reflect on World Series Game 2 as Braves lose to Astros 7-2 October 28, 2021
- ‘We Didn’t Worry’: Renewable Energy May Be Solution For Those Vulnerable To Power Outages October 28, 2021
- Watch Rachel Maddow Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Danyal Hussein jailed for 35 years for murder of Bibaa Henry and Nicole Smallman October 28, 2021
- Unique 3 flavour chaat || stylish Banana chat by Afshan Ansari Food Network. October 28, 2021
- Raymond James’ Chris Caso on what to expect from Apple’s Q3 earnings October 28, 2021
- Glenview Trust’s Bill Stone: Financials, industrials presenting opportunity October 28, 2021
- 2022 Chevrolet Silverado PICK UP Truck : SEE FIRST LOOK Good business October 28, 2021
- Watch The Beat With Ari Melber Highlights: October 27th | MSNBC October 28, 2021
- France Begins Process of Handing Back Looted African Treasures October 28, 2021
- CBSN Originals | The New Pro-Gun Generation October 28, 2021
- Ludacris Discusses New Venture Into TV | Zerlina. October 28, 2021
- Putin’s order to fill Gazprom’s EU storage facilities prompts gas prices to fall October 28, 2021
- NFL Picks – Green Bay Packers vs Arizona Cardinals Prediction, 10/28/2021 Week 8 NFL Best Bet Today October 28, 2021
- FSB neutralizes ISIS supporter in Murmansk, Russia October 28, 2021
- BEST strike partnerships in Premier League history | Thierry Henry + Dennis Bergkamp & more | Part 1 October 28, 2021
- A’s + Alameda: Key Points for Howard Terminal Ballpark October 28, 2021
- Zoe in San Francisco | Vlog in the USA | iPhone 13 | Purple Tea💜 October 28, 2021
- Highlights: Preston 0-2 Liverpool | Origi scores an outrageous goal in the Carabao Cup October 28, 2021
- How Ina Garten blew off the Food network October 28, 2021
- Houston Astros dominate Atlanta Braves to even up World Series with strong Game 2 win – US News October 28, 2021
- Atlanta Braves vs Houston Astros Full Highlights – World Series Game 2 – 10/27/2021 October 28, 2021
- LIVE: NBC News NOW – October 28 October 28, 2021
- Biden delays Europe departure to meet with Democratic caucus October 28, 2021
- Should children ages 5 to 11 be vaccinated? Hear from Dr. Fauci October 28, 2021
- Who is Julian Assange and why does the US want to extradite him? – BBC News October 28, 2021
- Professional Baseball Pitcher Tyler Herron Dies At 35 October 28, 2021
- Soyuz 2.1a rocket blasts off from Baikonur with cargo for ISS onboard October 28, 2021
- BREAKING: Sir David Attenborough urges nations to cooperate on climate change October 28, 2021
- Improvements are needed to make the ‘green choice the easy choice’ October 28, 2021
- China’s Climate Envoy Urges Help For Developing Countries Ahead of COP26 October 28, 2021
- Rishi Sunak defends National Insurance hike and meat eating October 28, 2021